Two Week Road Trip in California - July 1019

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Two Week Road Trip in California - July 1019

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:47 pm

We are thinking of doing a 2 week road trip through Cali in 2019. I am looking at past posts but thought I would toss it out for ideas. We would want to hit San Diego, LA and San Francisco as far as cities. Probably for just a couple of nights each. We like nature and parks with light hiking (no overnight backpacking). I know Yosemite will be crazy busy but that is pretty much a must do. We are not huge wine people so one winery tour is ok, but really not a must for us.

1) Flying in from DC , what airport would be best?
2) Should we rent a car for the entire trip? Probably of limited use in the cities but one way rentals of renting and dropping off only to hire again a couple days later is probably not the best plan. So, drive from city to city or other transportation?
2b) If renting a car for the entire trip is there a "loop" that you would chose to avoid one way drop off fees?
3) Probably not looking for more than 3-4 hours driving in a day and preferable a day or two between longer drives. In other words we don't want to be on the road every day.
4) Moderate prices. Not looking for super cheap but not 5 star prices either.

So, what's you plan?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: Two Week Road Trip in California - July 1019

Post by VinnyD » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Off the top of my head, I would fly to SFO, see San Francisco without a car. Then drive to Yosemite which I agree is a must despite the crowds. Last day in Yosemite drive to Tuolomne Meadows, less crowded, and over the Tioga Pass. Then drive down is it 395? whatever and over to LA. A car is a good thing to have in LA. You will want to break that journey to LA since you will have spent the morning at Tuolomne Meadows; I don't have a recommendation as to where. Then, having reconsidered San Diego, take a few days to drive up Highway 1 to San Francisco, perhaps meeting Avalon at Morro Bay on the way.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 pm

First, I would OMIT San Diego completely if you only have 2 weeks, because there is so much better stuff to see in California..
Best is probably to fly into L.A. and start there and/or, if you also want to do San Diego, drive the rental car immediately to San Diego for your 2 days or whatever there, then return to L.A., with a stop at Disneyland in Orange County if that is an attraction that you want to experience, then on back north to L.A. for your 2 to 3 days stay. Then take I-405 north and U.S. 101 west, up the coast, visiting Santa Barbara (lunch) and onto California Highway 1 for The Hearst Castle for the main tour. Onward north on Highway 1 (The Big Sur Coast), including the picturesque waterfall and The Bixby Bridge and on to Monterey area for a night, then north to Santa Cruz for the day (there is the Beach Boardwalk and The Mystery Spot there). Then through San Jose (there is The Winchester House there), and on to San Francisco for your 2 to 3 nights, with possible day trips around the Bay Area, including Pt. Reyes Seashore National Reserve. Returning: Southbound it's I-580 East and down Highway 5 or Highway 99 for the turnoff east to Yosemite National Park (I believe that it is Highway 120 and/or 140 east to the Park). Then continue southbound with a possible full day at Sequoia and/or Kings Canyon National Park, and return to L.A. That's how I would do it.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks. I know San Diego is a detour but we have someone there we really should visit. Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate and any others.It looks like it is already getting late to book lodging at any of the park lodges in Yosemite, any suggestions there?

Thanks

And obviously that should be 2019.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:49 am

Las Vegas is your airport. The failing, one-party, state of CA is a ripoff, from motel rooms to car rentals.

I would rent a car and drive to San Diego through the Mojave National Preserve (Cima and Kelso) to Amboy, 29 Palms, Palm Springs and Palm Desert. Then up and over the mountains to Aguanga, Temecula and San Diego. It's a long day's drive that is doable in a day, or spend the night in one of the Palms. Then San Diego and Hell-A. Santa Monica to points NW are habitable. Then get on the 101 to San Luis Obispo for the night. Get off the 101 here in favor of HW 1 to Monterey- it's a great drive, and finally open again after a year and a half being closed due to flooded bridges and landslides. Monterey gets you to San Fransicko. Then it's off to the Yosemite traffic jam and over the Sierra via Tioga Pass. This pass only opens in June, so check for snow closures. Mammoth Lakes or Bishop on the other side has plenty of rooms. Likewise, Merced or Mariposa have cheaper rooms on the west side of Yosemite. After Mammoth lakes, take a driving detour at Big Pine to see the bristlecone pines in the White Mountains, or even walk up White Mountain Peak- but it's very high and you will be sucking air. Lone Pine has good pizza and lots of rooms. From there, cross Death Valley to Pahrump and Vegas.

PS- get satellite radio in your car. It's worth the $5/day in the West.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:40 pm

LS,

Thanks!

Stan

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Stan, if you like nature, a couple of local places that are favorites of mine would be Point Lobos State Nature Reserve near Monterey(which includes some very light hiking) and kayaking on Elkhorn Slough just north of there with kayaks available at the Moss Landing Harbor. I just went kayaking there yesterday and posted some pics on an old thread on the TJ branch. You can see tons of marine mammals at both these places. Further south along the coast is Hearst Castle, which is a famous tourist site that I have never been to, and a nearby colony of Elephant Seals which are really impressive. Here's a link to a thread with some pictures of these places...

http://politicalstew.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=167753

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:20 pm

Steve,

Thanks so much. We do like doing outdoors stuff. Actually, at least for me, much more than museums and such.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Ok, what is probably a dumb question. But looking at Redwoods Nat Park it is quite a drive from SF. If you had to choose between Redwoods and Sequoia/Kings Canyon which would you choose or are they so different we should really do both?

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:16 pm

I've not been to Redwoods National Park, but it's definitely out of the way for you. I guess it depends how much you want to see it. I can probably provide a day or two of redwood exposure when you're in the SF area, if you want to do that while up here.

I would do much of what the others are recommending. You can do a loop without too much trouble, as long as you're willing to do a few longer days of driving. This is obviously based on my preferences, and I like to move around a bit.

Days 1-5: Fly into SFO. No car, just explore the city via foot & transit on Day 2 & 3. Maybe hook up with me for a tour of the northbay Sonoma/Napa/Santa Rosa/Marin/wine/redwoods area on Day 4. You could even stay up here, then we'd get you back to the city on Day 5. I LOVE where I live, so am always happy to play tour guide.

Day 5-7 Pick up a car and drive to Yosemite from SFO (3-4 hours), stay 2 nights. So Day 6 is a full day of exploring.

Day 7- Drive to Sierra National Forest or Kings Canyon in the morning. Others have more info on where to stay, central California is not my stomping grounds. Spend the rest of the day taking a hike in Kings Canyon.

Day 8-12- Drive to LA. This is a longer day in the car, 4-5 hours. A few days in LA, maybe a day or 2 in San Diego, all up to you. The SoCal posters will help you out way more on that.

Day 13- Drive from LA to San Luis Obispo or Pismo Beach (3-4 hours). Walk around the cute little town and crash for the night.

Day 14- Drive to Monterey via Highway 1. It will take you 3+ hours, but it's beautiful, should not be missed while you're in this state. You can still arrive in the eary afternoon with plenty of time to walk around Cannery Row and visit the aquarium if you're into that kind of thing. I can help with hotel recommendations/tour info if needed.

Day 15- You're now about 2 hours away from SFO again. Go whale watching in the morning then drive to the airport, or just head north and fly home if that's what your schedule allows.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Day 5-7 Pick up a car and drive to Yosemite from SFO (3-4 hours), stay 2 nights. So Day 6 is a full day of exploring.

Day 7- Drive to Sierra National Forest or Kings Canyon in the morning. Others have more info on where to stay, central California is not my stomping grounds. Spend the rest of the day taking a hike in Kings Canyon.

Day 8-12- Drive to LA. This is a longer day in the car, 4-5 hours
For me personally, I'd exit out the east side of Yosemite on Day 7, stop briefly at Mono Lake (it's quick, not a ton to see). I'd then head straight for LA down the 395. You're looking at 6 hours in the car and skipping Sequoia National Park, but it trims a day off your itinerary. I love the (boring to some) drive down through Inyo National Forest and the dessert, it's so different than the California I'm used to. It would provide a perfect contrast to what you'd see headed north up the coast on the way home if you use my plan, you'd truly get all views of the state.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Lola,

Thank you so much. I would love to have you as a tour guide if you are available when we are there. I am thinking Redwoods is just to far out of the way and as you say, we can see some big redwoods elsewhere. I told my wife this weekend is decision time that this trip is on or off. If it is one I am sure I will have a lot more questions as the plans come together.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:38 pm

I liked Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park more than the adjacent National Park.

I have stayed outside Yosemite in Buck Meadows and liked it.

Nines
Regular Guy

Post by Nines » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:20 am

Great advice above, but let me throw out this optional itinerary for your round trip consideration:

Fly in to Sacramento and rent a car there. Cheaper than the Bay Area. Get out of Sacramento and drive south on old hwy 49 through Gold Country off hwy 50. Hit the old mining towns and antique shops and breweries or wineries. There's ton's of them. Stay in Sutter Creek or Jackson or anywhere along that drive. Head south on 49 to Mariposa, (the gateway to Yosemite and make reservations now).
From there cruise south either 395 or 99. Long, boring drives if you want to get to San Diego.

I'll skip all the SoCal recommendations. Plenty of the helpful posters above know much better than I. When northbound I would head up hwy 1 and hit the tourist spots you and Mrs. Stan might like. Be wary of The Mystery Spot. When you get to the SF area I'd take up Lolasf's generous offer of a tour of the northern part of the state (the most beautiful part) and then come see me on your way back to SMF and home.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:34 am

Nines,

Thank you. I appreciate it. Yes, I told Mrs. Stan this weekend is decision day due to needing to get reservations made for Yosemite since most of it is already booked up.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:07 am

Staying "in Yosemite" is a false construct. It's a tiny place, Yosemite Valley, and you can see it all by not staying in Yosemite as well, and for half the price.

It's summer. The place is jammed. If you want to stay there, go in winter.

BTW, you can also see it by flying from San Diego to Seattle, from a right window seat.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:10 pm

Be wary of The Mystery Spot.
Good advice. You could get sucked up into the vortex and never be heard from again.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:48 pm

I'll come back to this thread in a bit and offer my two cents. It's a big state for only 2 weeks but you can see a lot.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:57 pm

IF you want to spend one night in or close to Yosemite Valley so that you can spend an extra day in Yosemite you might consider Yosemite International Hostel located in Groveland, California. It is not right close to the main attractions of the Valley, but it is within a reasonable drive. BUT BOOK WELL IN ADVANCE because it is popular for that reason.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm trying to think what to add. I'm wondering if it's necessary to go to both Sequoia and Yosemite with such a short time. You can visit Muir Woods from SF. You can stay near Mariposa Grove in Yosemite, which has sequoias. I booked a hotel in El Portal in May for a June visit of Yosemite. Our room was right on the Merced River. However, that's where the huge fire started last summer so I'm not sure it's an option.
You might enjoy swooping back to the coast and spending more time along the 1, including Big Sur. You can stay in a cabin in the campgrounds. Rustic, but nice. If you go there, be sure to go to Pfeiffer Beach and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (McWay Falls http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=578). It's a short trail leading to a waterfall that drops down onto the beach.

People have mentioned Hearst Castle. Don't forget to take a walk on San Simeon Beach while you are there or have a picnic (there's also a little lunch place). There's a little trail that you can follow from the north end that has stunning views looking back. Just stay on the main trail. We encountered ticks when we took it a little too far. Walking south on the beach is lovely too, depending on the tides.
Montana de Oro is another nice hiking spot on the central coast. I'm frequently in Cayucos, near Morro Bay, and any walking between Cayucos and Morro Bay on the beach is great. I know a wonderful coastal trail nearby but I'm afraid to recommend it because there were a lot of ticks last summer. You can drive and park right near Morro Bay rock and see the sea otters that hang out on the harbor side, walk to see the peregrine falcon that live in the rock, then walk along the beach north.
If you decide to do any wine tasting on the central coast near Paso Robles, let me know and I can recommend wineries to visit. If I'm up there, I can take you!

If you do decide to drive back south via Tioga Pass and take Lola's suggestion of Mono Lake make sure to drive down to South Tufa. It's best at sunrise or sunset, especially when there are clouds in the sky. Otherwise, there 's no missing the lake as you drive down the windy road (120). It's your view most of the way back to the 395.

Nice places to stay if you take that route are June Lake or Mammoth. I have tons of suggestions if you stay a night or two there. Mammoth is about 5 hours from LA. If you're dead tired and just need to rest your head and need to stop in between Yosemite and LA and want to drive further than Mammoth, you can stay in Bishop or Lone Pine.

I live down in San Diego, so if you decide to come down this way I'd be more than happy to show you around or answer any questions you may have.
Last edited by avalon_ on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 pm

Places in and near Yosemite get cancellations all the time, so if something is already full you can check back to see if it's available. Make sure to check your cancellation policy before you book anything so if you want to switch you can.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:19 pm

p.s. I'm a huge, huge, huge, huge fan of our redwood forests and coast further north but you just might not have the time if you are also coming to Southern Cal.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:52 pm

I'd also ask car companies if they even have a drop off fee. Maybe fly in to San Francisco and out of LA or San Diego, dropping your car off in one of those cities. The only city you wouldn't need a car is San Francisco proper. If you want to explore around there, you'll need a car.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:30 am

I'm in the Apple Hill area east of Sacramento, having spent a few days at the Hangtown Music Festival.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks to all. Avalon, thanks for all of your detail. I let the weekend slip but without a definitive answer we were so busy. Need to press it tonight. I am thinking we might be able to squeeze a couple more days. I have to see.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:35 pm

Ok, as all of you have pretty much been nicely trying to tell me there is no way we can do everything on our list in two weeks. I told my wife it is basically two two week trips. One for the cities and the coast and one for the parks and the western part of the state. I told her to decide by tonight which one, or neither and just go somewhere for a week as she also plans to have her other foot operated on in July and she should really take another week of recovery before going back to work.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Two weeks do-able for Los Angeles and surroundings, San Diego, North by car up Highway 101 and Highway 1 through and to Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle, Big Sur Coast, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Francisco and the Bay Area.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes.

The difficulty with doing a trip that is all parks is finding the window where the Tioga Pass is likely to be open but Death Valley will be visitable.

You could also divide it north and south.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:22 pm

Yes, I don't see us hiking in Death Valley in July.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:21 pm

The end of June is when most tourists from Europe visit Death Valley on tours because that is usually the hottest time of the year.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:41 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:22 pm
Driving through it with AC on your way to Vegas is a little different than hiking in it.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:44 am

All "pretty" good suggestions (I mean all the suggestions are Gold, just the itinerary), although I would/might tweak a few things as a hybrid of ALL the suggestions, but can't be arsed to reread the entire thread and mull everything over again (this after reading in Chicago). But, what I keep pushing, on a more local level (I keep repeating myself):

If San Luis Obispo (SLO Town) -- get there on a Thursday, that's the evening Farmer's Market downtown

If in the Monterey area -- you gotta do the Steinbeck Museum in Salinas, CA

If driving up the coast on Hwy 1, it's worth taking that stretch from Santa Cruz, CA to Half Moon Bay, CA AND, wait, there's more...you stop in at Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero, CA have a bite and drink, and/or pull into the Ritz-Carlton and have a drink on the 18th hole of the Old Course of Half Moon Bay golf course -- there's two courses, Old and Ocean Course(s). In some respect I prefer the Ocean Course, a little easier and more scenic, but the Old Course is classically challenging.

Shopping: you have available outlets in Gilroy, CA and recently, Livermore, CA.

Look up Alice's Restaurant in La Honda and Skyline, then you are getting "tourist local."
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

I’ll answer my own question: — VinnyD

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:32 am

Tioga Pass will be open in July.

Maybe stop in Gilroy at a fruit stand along your drive north or south if you are taking the 101, but an outlet mall?!!!

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:41 am
Stan In Maryland wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:22 pm
Driving through it with AC on your way to Vegas is a little different than hiking in it.
LS,

Absolutely. And I would love to do some hiking there at a different time of year, I just don't see July as the time to do that.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:55 pm

The place to go walking is in the bristlecone forest in the White Mountains above Big Pine.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:08 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:55 pm
The place to go walking is in the bristlecone forest in the White Mountains above Big Pine.
Though remember it's at 10,000 feet, but it is pretty awesome. It's accessed if you are going to/from Yosemite via Tioga Pass... not far* from the 395 if I recall.

* like an hour drive.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:56 pm

avalon_ wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:32 am
Tioga Pass will be open in July.
As a side note; my brother and I headed to Lone Pine, CA of all places to bring in the new millennium. We crossed over the Tioga Pass on Dec 30, 1999--obviously it was a drought year. The drag though was that we went over it in dark as the days were so short and I had to make a call in Merced before we entered the Park.
Maybe stop in Gilroy at a fruit stand along your drive north or south if you are taking the 101, but an outlet mall?!!!
Hey, I don't know wat' da Stan is into; maybe he's the Shopping King for all I know.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Well, Mrs Stan likes outlet malls but probably not while we are on vacation. Mr Stan tends to sit in the car and read while she shops. Fruit stands are always good though.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:26 pm
Well, Mrs Stan likes outlet malls but probably not while we are on vacation. Mr Stan tends to sit in the car and read while she shops. Fruit stands are always good though.
If you go to the Gilroy Outlets, you can sit in the car eating a Double-Double from In and Out Burger; and as you're on the Waste Coast, you wouldn't get to do that at home. Eating an In and Out Burger is mandatory and written in our State's charter as a requirement to visitors; enjoy!

Fruit/vegetable stands; you will see these out near Castroville (artichokes), and if you take Hwy 92 to the Peninsula from Half Moon Bay. Also, there was an old skool fruit stand, Casa de Fruta, that morphed into more than just a fruit stand but has lost some of its thunder since Hwy 152 was greatly widened, bypassing the "stand."
Last edited by Wilster on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:39 pm

I guess we will have to eat and In and Out at least once. I wouldn't want to insult the natives.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:42 pm

You ought to try a taco stand or three as well.

Fish tacos are tasty, and available in lots of places.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Definitely in for fish tacos while we are out there.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Also "The Original Tommy's" for the Chili Burger.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

I want to thank everyone for their tips and they will not go to waste because one or more California trips will happen at some point but my wife has had a change of heart (see: My Wife is Driving Me Crazy".

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:46 am

Stan, I put some effort (although less than many others) into this thing and feel a little deflated; much like Suction8's posts where I go all out and he just evaporates; no trip reports, no follow ups, or definitely not a post like above by you. Suction will suck the life out of many here.

So Stan, your punishment (or you can just slink away like the Suction does) is that you now have to have a long weekend here in the Bay Area on your naughty own: think, me, Cummy, Potpie (Leelee), Lola, Steve, Logg, Sexus, et al., what could possibly go wrong!

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:45 am

Wilster wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:46 am
Stan, I put some effort (although less than many others) into this thing and feel a little deflated; much like Suction8's posts where I go all out and he just evaporates; no trip reports, no follow ups, or definitely not a post like above by you. Suction will suck the life out of many here.

So Stan, your punishment (or you can just slink away like the Suction does) is that you now have to have a long weekend here in the Bay Area on your naughty own: think, me, Cummy, Potpie (Leelee), Lola, Steve, Logg, Sexus, et al., what could possibly go wrong!
I totally agree. Can't we add a few more, if we stretch the boundaries farther? Niner, Ped Yi, Logg (?), fiat, kirrabi, other people I'm forgetting.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Well, we are thinking about a couple of days in the Bay area on the way to or from Hawaii, does that count? I looked a tickets and by using Hacker fare (anyone done so?) it looks like it wouldn't be any more expensive to break the ticket than not to. While we would have to fly out of IAD (not my first choice) we could actually do a direct to SF, break the ticket. A direct to Hawaii and then a direct home for about the same price. It becomes three one way flights, but since it isn't like we would be checking luggage through that wouldn't really matter.

I did feel a bit like Sec8 getting the information and then backing out. The differences are that I will use the info one day but on the down side I know Sec8 is a much bigger draw than I am so the disappointment with in not being true is much greater with him.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:34 pm

other people I'm forgetting.
:cry: :cry: :cry: