Travel agents for ordinary plane flights

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Travel agents for ordinary plane flights

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Anymore, what value do they add? Say you're adept at Expedia or Orbitz or whatever. Furthermore, you're willing to go to the bother of finding the flight you like on those online consolidator sites, and then going to the airline website and booking directly with them. Further furthermore, say you know which airlines fly to/from your destination that might not be listed on Expedia, so you know to check out their prices too.

In this case, does a travel agent add any value at all?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Travel agents for ordinary plane flights

Post by DCComic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Not that I can see, no.

פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:35 pm

thanks to online booking sites that is why you see very few if any travel agents. you certainly do not see any in the usa. i am always surprised at how many i see in the uk ... and that people actually use them. <<shockers! travel agents in the usa had to switch gears a few years ago - due to folks booking online themselves AND airlines cutting all commissions for ticket sales. so travel agents steered more into package holidays - and leaning towards the more luxury ones or ones for a specific interest (adventure, food, etc). these tend to make more money than folks looking for a cheap holiday.

i have a few travel agents that i use to purchase airline tickets (but only occasionally, and not that much anymore). air tix only. why, yes. shock. these travel agents specialize in tix ex-usa only and to eurolandia or asia. i will usually email them my itin and then have them respond with what they can offer. if the prices are the same, they just tell me to buy the ticket directly with the airline. sometimes these agents get "business class specials". or, sometimes tix are consolidator tix - which i stay away from in cases where i want the airline status credit, status dollars and/or a chance to upgrade. but bottom line - i can always get at least 3% off ... because one of the travel agents will allow me to do a bank of america to bank of america bank transfer to her, and thus eliminating the 3% visa credit card fee.

but a word of warning: usually when things go wrong on travel day, many airlines (shame on them!) don't want to touch your ticket. they say "go talk to the issuer of your ticket". that is total bs. as an elite, i usually get my way and have the airline rebook me on something that i want. so, tis a gamble. bestest is to book directly with an airline.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:40 pm

There are lots of them in Germany too.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 pm

Boinkity_Boink wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:54 pm
Anymore, what value do they add? Say you're adept at Expedia or Orbitz or whatever. Furthermore, you're willing to go to the bother of finding the flight you like on those online consolidator sites, and then going to the airline website and booking directly with them. Further furthermore, say you know which airlines fly to/from your destination that might not be listed on Expedia, so you know to check out their prices too.
google flights seems to trump all that huulabooloo nowadays..

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:59 pm

What they add is £35 transaction fee.

That's our business travel agent. But we still use them a lot, because:

1) they have bulk "marine fares" which generally give something like fully flex fare conditions for a restricted fare price. Of not they lay out clearly the change fees and conditions.

2) they're somebody you can call, 24/7 when things go wrong or you need to make a change.

Like once I was at Heathrow when thousands of people were stranded by snow. You couldn't call the airlines, lines were jammed, and the queue at the desk was miles long. People were getting angry. I got in the queue and meanwhile called the agent. They were busy too so I left a message. Before too long they got back to me with alternative flights so I ducked out of the queue and nonchalantly got the HEx into town ( airport hotels all jammed too).

But for simple itineraries on one airline, I book direct. Any problems, I communicate by social media messages and they usually sort it out.