Rome

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Rome

Post by DCComic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Does anybody know Rome well?
I'll be there for 10 days.
Tips for bars, cafes, restaurants and perhaps even a day trip or two greatly appreciated.
Mostly I want to hang around drinking coffee, taking pictures and reading books.

פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: Rome

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:32 am

Ostia Antica is worthy of a day trip. It's Rome's ancient port city, south of the Tiber mouth.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 am

Nautae in taberna vinum biberunt.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:48 am

Go to Naples. My dad said they had an old statue of a guy fucking a goat. And they did. I went and lit a candle for him after seeing it.

If I'm going on vacation to expensive-land, no way am I moping around reading a book.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:00 am

Your post reminded me of this thread. I thought there were more responses but, oh well.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=135876&p=2649333&h ... e#p2649333
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 am

BeatRaven wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:48 am
Go to Naples. My dad said they had an old statue of a guy fucking a goat. And they did. I went and lit a candle for him after seeing it.

If I'm going on vacation to expensive-land, no way am I moping around reading a book.
Since when has reading a book been "moping"?
Hanging out at a pavement cafe, reading and watching the world go by, is as good a way of experiencing 'foreign', as any.

And it's not expensive for Brits to have a short break in Rome.
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:05 am

Been to Naples, thanks. Didn’t see the statue. Rome isn’t spendy.

פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Go to Pompei to see the ruins and museum -- it's a Day Trip from Rome via change of train in Naples.

Anticdotally-speaking: Back in The Day when I had little money there was a very small "restaurant" in Rome where you could have a complete meal for 500 lire (less than U.S. $ 1 ). It was called Da Pipino or something like that. The food was good. It was the best bargain place to eat in Europe.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:48 am

Trastavere is a great old part of town to stay in and wander about. Bars, restaurants and reasonably quiet yet walkable to places like the Vatican.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks. Tnat’s where we’re staying.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 am

I need to go back to Rome sometime. It was a stop off on our Europe train journey, and it blew me away. For some reason it'd never been high on my places to go list, but the scale of it, and the way that every turn of a corner would lead to yet another stunningly impressive building, took my breath away.
I think spending some time finding the 'secret' bits of the city would be really rewarding.
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 am

leela wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 am
I need to go back to Rome sometime. It was a stop off on our Europe train journey, and it blew me away. For some reason it'd never been high on my places to go list, but the scale of it, and the way that every turn of a corner would lead to yet another stunningly impressive building, took my breath away.
I think spending some time finding the 'secret' bits of the city would be really rewarding.
Tnat’s what I’m hoping for. 10 days isn’t long but short of finding wok there it’ll have to do.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:33 am

DCComic wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:11 am
Thanks. Tnat’s where we’re staying.
Laughing then.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Haven't been for 15 years.

But I've just downloaded this book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072J92RM5/ ... TF8&btkr=1
A sweeping history of the city of Rome, seen through the eyes of its most significant sackings, from the Gauls to the Nazis and everything in between.

No city on earth has preserved its past as Rome has. Visitors can cross bridges that were crossed by Cicero and Julius Caesar, explore temples visited by Roman emperors, and step into churches that have hardly changed since popes celebrated mass in them sixteen centuries ago.

These architectural survivals are all the more remarkable considering the many disasters that have struck the city. Rome has been afflicted by earthquakes, floods, fires and plagues, but most of all it has been repeatedly ravaged by roving armies. From the Gauls to the Nazis, Matthew Kneale tells the stories behind the seven most important of these attacks and reveals, with fascinating insight, how they transformed the city - and not always for the worse. Using this entirely new approach to Rome's past he unveils how it became the city it is today.

A meticulously researched, magical blend of travelogue, social and cultural history, Rome: A History in Seven Sackings is a celebration of the fierce courage, panache and vitality of the Roman people. Most of all, it is a passionate love letter to this incomparable city.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Good tip. Maybe that should be my cafe read. Cheers.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:05 pm

The original Milvian Bridge is still there, north of town. It's the site of one of the most consequential battles in history.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm

I love the history, I really do. But what about cafes and bars?

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 pm

I wish I was better at recording things. Ben and I found a little restaurant/bar just around the corner from the Colosseum, that seemed to be entirely populated by locals. We could have been in a village in the middle of nowhere once we were inside. Totally untouristy and rustic. And of course I haven't the slightest recollection of what it was called. He's better at this sort of stuff than me though, so maybe he'll chip in.
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:17 pm

*waits hopefully*

Ben, I can put you onto some great smoked eggs in Kyoto.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 pm

DCComic wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm
Those are available in England, or Wasilla.

Besides, you asked for day trip possibilities in the OP.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:17 pm

DCComic wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm
I posted a book because my cafes and bars are too out of date.

I doubt you can go wrong in Trastevere.

In 2003, we stayed at a cheap hostel near to Termini station.
I had my morning coffee and roll each day at Cafe Trombetta.
It's the kind of Roman cafe where you stand at the bar and have your tiny cappuccino and maybe try one of the conical cream puffs which the cafe is named for.

Check the professional-looking staff for what is basically a workers & commuters cafe.
I hope they've kept their standards up.

They serve coffee, pastries, ice-cream, liqueurs and beer.
There are places like this all over Italy, so it's not worth crossing town for but, if you're around Termini, you could do worse.

I took our boys to Stadio Olimpico to see Roma v Parma.
Got tickets at the downtown Roma FC shop.
Like all Olympic stadia, a bit shit because of the running track, but good atmosphere, very melodic singing, and local boy Totti was at his peak then.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:49 pm

I stayed in Trastevere the last time I was in Rome, 2016, I think. We stayed at an Air BnB so the owner was very keen that we experience the REAL Trastevere and gave us a list of more restaurants than we had nights in Rome. One was particularly impressive - you could watch a woman making fresh pasta in the window and then they'd bring it out to you with any sauce you wanted. So fresh and delicious. And the name of it was...

Yeah, ok, I forget. I'm going to see if I can find it.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks for all the help so far.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:13 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:49 pm
I stayed in Trastevere the last time I was in Rome, 2016, I think. We stayed at an Air BnB so the owner was very keen that we experience the REAL Trastevere and gave us a list of more restaurants than we had nights in Rome. One was particularly impressive - you could watch a woman making fresh pasta in the window and then they'd bring it out to you with any sauce you wanted. So fresh and delicious. And the name of it was...
Oh yeah.
That place in Rome where they make their own pasta and you can get different sauces with it.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:48 am
I was somehow hoping that statue would have been out on the street, in the town square or something, but no, sadly hidden away in a boring museum

wonder what his nickname was..?

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:13 pm
snowgirl wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:49 pm
Oh yeah.
That place in Rome where they make their own pasta and you can get different sauces with it.
Exactly, you know the one I mean. Just across the river from Trastevere. That one.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:35 pm

I'll look out for it. Do they do English breakfasts?

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:02 pm

There is a page or 2 on where to dine in Rome in the current (Fall 2018 edition) of the Lonely Planet Magazine.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:00 pm

765044E3-1FDD-4E6A-BA58-EA6C27EBC620.jpeg
Made it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Nice! Let us know all the places you eat and drink at! Then I can tell you if you went to the place I"m talking about.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:38 pm

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:07 pm

That might be my favourite building in the whole world (that I've seen and excepting my house).

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Yup.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:19 pm

I love Rome. Been there a few times recently. Ten days is a decent amount of time - you should hire a car for the day and visit Tivoli (town) as a base to see two stunning world heritage sites: Villa d’Este and Hadrian’s Villa. Earlier this year we also walked into Rome along the Via Appia Antica, after getting the metro to Colli Albani and strolling past flocks of sheep through Parco della Cafferella. Once you reach the Via Appia Antica, the key thing is to walk along the minor road turning off just north of the Catacombe di San Sebastiano, rather than sticking on the main road. You eventually reach the old city walls after passing the “Quo Vadis?” church that contains Christ’s footprint (if you believe this stuff). It’s not the worst way to spend a morning.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:39 am

What the heck was Christ doing in Rome? I don't remember reading that in the Bible. Other than that your walk sounds delightful, Simon.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 am

snowgirl wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:39 am
What the heck was Christ doing in Rome? I don't remember reading that in the Bible. Other than that your walk sounds delightful, Simon.
He got around, did that Jesus character:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quo_vadis%3F

I’m thinking about other day trips. Frascati is ok but not really stunning, Viterbo is a nice small town next to a volcano but no real sights as such, Ostia Antica (Lost_Soul’s suggestion) is historically interesting but is now inland due to silting up of the Tiber delta and isn’t filled with coffee places etc, and the coast itself is nothing to write home about. If you can get a fast train to Orvieto, that’s a lovely place which could be worth a trip.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:45 am

I lived there a couple of years, but it was over 20 years ago. I hope you are enjoying yourself.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:14 pm

You did!? What were you doing there, Avalon? Do you still speak Italian? That sounds so dreamy, living in Rome for a few years!

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:45 pm

I lived with my Italian boyfriend. I taught English and for a bit I went to the University of Rome. Yes, I speak Italian but I'm very rusty. I was fluent, but I don't think I could say that now because so many years have gone by with no practice. Sometimes I'll try to have conversations in my head.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:01 pm

Where did you live? Every area we walk through I think ‘a flat here would be nice’.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:15 pm

I didn't live in the center, but I was there daily. It was just too expensive. The school I worked at was near the main train station. I can't even remember the name! We lived in L'EUR, not so sexy.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:19 pm

If I were going to do a day trip from Rome, I would probably visit one of the lakes. We used to frequent one in particular, but I can't remember the name. It was always quiet, peaceful, and picturesque. They had establishments on the lake that sold bread, meat, and cheese and you had to bring your own wine. Those were the best days. It was where the pope spent his summers.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Castel Gandolfo! It's the lake near there.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:28 pm

We wandered through Trastavere, Testaccio and Garbarella today.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:30 pm

avalon_ wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:15 pm
I didn't live in the center, but I was there daily. It was just too expensive. The school I worked at was near the main train station. I can't even remember the name! We lived in L'EUR, not so sexy.
Yeah, I often think I would like to live in the places I visit but then I have to check myself cos there's pretty much no way I could afford to live where I'd want to live.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:55 pm

True, snow.

I liked to walk around Porta Portese flea market on Sundays. I looked up how to spell it and see that people rate it 3 stars, so maybe it's not as interesting anymore.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:03 pm

That’s our plan for tomorrow. The reviewers probably marked it down for being full of Italians or tourists, or not providing bottomless free Nescafé.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:13 pm

I liked seeing the old timey Italians and the stuff they sold all with their funny dialects and accents and sales pitches. There were also a lot of immigrants. I remember a section of Russians selling Russian things that made it seem like we had stepped back in time.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:25 pm

You reminded me that I still have this little tin I bought from one of the Russians there.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 pm

Gah, Abby's face is so dirty. She was digging up bones earlier.