Cummy - SFO Business lounge?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Cummy - SFO Business lounge?

Post by Cyllarus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:51 pm

All Knowing One,

In April we are flying in from Bali to SFO on EVA airline. Have a 3-hour layover before catching AC flight to Toronto, and I'd like to have a shower.
Are we eligible to use United Polaris Lounge? Thought I read something about strict requirement that *Alliance have to be flying longhaul (overseas) J for privileges in United Polaris.

If we can't use UP lounge, what lounge might we be eligible for? FYI, we are arriving in T2 at SFO and flying out of Terminal INTL (whatever that is).

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Re: Cummy - SFO Business lounge?

Post by cummy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:41 am

cyll: (you know, i actually thought about you yesterday ... saying that i haven't seen you post in a while).

ok. here are the details.

eva/BR and air canada/AC both operate out of the SFO international terminal G. the SFO int'l terminal has terminal A on one side and terminal G on the other side. most int'l star alliance flights depart out of terminal G.

so you're arriving on BR to SFO? you will need to go through customs/immig, collect your bags, exit the customs/immig area, throw your bags onto the connecting baggage belt, exit the area completely ... go up one level to go through security for terminal G to get to your AC flight. just look for the united check-in counters. security is on the other side of the UA counters.

BR seems to have multiple flights to SFO. so depending on when your flight arrives (and everyone else's), your 3 hour transit time may go pretty fast.

regarding lounges: you will have a choice of these UA lounges @ SFO. actually, the only one that works for you is the united club @ gate 98. none of the united clubs have showers.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... fault.aspx

regarding showers: none of the united clubs @ SFO have showers. the polaris lounge has showers, but you will not be allowed access. the united SFO arrivals lounge has showers, but again you won't be allowed access.

here is the polaris admittance rules: if you are traveling in BR biz, then ua will allow you access only upon int'l departure. because you will be arriving on BR, then united won't allow you access. united recently clarified that pax flying on AC (or UA) flights to canada DO NOT get access to the polaris lounge. (you used to initially, but sadly no more). united will direct you to the united club at gate 98.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... ccess.aspx

just a note about BR: BR departing biz pax at SFO can use the ua polaris lounge. all other eligible BR departing pax are directed to the united club at gate 98. this applies to departing pax only.
http://www.evaair.com/en-us/managing-yo ... irport=SFO

if you really need a shower, then you can pay for one. this facility is outside of security and just steps away from the united check-in counters.
https://www.flysfo.com/content/showers

bali sounds wonderful. enjoy your trip.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Re: Cummy - SFO Business lounge?

Post by Cyllarus » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Cummy,

Highly informative as always. May have to skip shower if time an issue as you point out. I wil look at pay for shower location that you recommend though. (FYI, Was travelling and cycling in Gaspe region of Quebec and then Prince Edward island and New Brunswick for few weeks in September so no time to browse PS and communicate with me dear on-line friends)

Hopefully Bali is as wonderful as it was 9 years ago. Hadn't planned to go there as our focus this winter is Sri Lanka/India/Bhutan but was unable to find Aeroplan J class flights out of any of Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore in spite of spending a lot of effort and time looking for them in May-June of this year. Yes, Aeroplan sucks.

Thanks much for SFO info.