17-hr flight LHR-PER

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

17-hr flight LHR-PER

Post by GLimpet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:22 am

After a bit of lobbying in the wake of an airline fuckup, I did at least get an exit row seat.

The flight was OK actually, mainly because of the ER.

Made it easy to get up and exercise frequently, which I did. Squats & stretches.

I didn't sleep much, and hour or two at a time two or three times. Any movie I fell asleep in was still going when I woke up.

Definitely better air and less noise on the Dreamliner.

Would use this flight again.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Re: 17-hr flight LHR-PER

Post by GLimpet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:23 am

Main con was width of seats - it's impossible to avoid rubbing arms with your neighbour.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:02 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:22 am
The flight was OK actually, mainly because of the ER.
and by ER you mean 'emergency room' ... ha! yeah, if i were to sit in those god-awful narrow seats on the dreamliner, i would also have to be taken to the emergency room. i just cannot understand why airlines are putting in such narrow width seats on their uber long haul aircraft. oh, i get it ... more seats = more revenue, and the customer be damned!

but glad you survived to tell about it.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:20 pm

And returning on QF9 tomorrow night!
No Exit Row this time.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:48 pm

I flew on an A 330 from Montreal to Tel Aviv and returned to Toronto on a Dreamliner. I much prefer the seat width and layout of the A 330 over the Dreamliner
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:40 pm

polardude1 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:48 pm
I flew on an A 330 from Montreal to Tel Aviv and returned to Toronto on a Dreamliner. I much prefer the seat width and layout of the A 330 over the Dreamliner
this is EXACTLY what paying customers are noticing. and, customers are taking action.

an airbus a330 econ seating is 2-4-2. this is a very desirable seating config from a passenger's point of view.
pitch = 31 inches
seat width = 18 inches

the boeing dreamliner 787-8 (smaller one) or 787-9 (longer one) has a very undesirable econ seating of 3-3-3. 3-3-3 means more $ for the airline but suckier for the customer.
pitch = 31 inches
seat width = 17.3 inches.

you see the difference? 18 inch vs 17.3 inch width. it doesn't sound like much, but believe me, it makes a hell of a difference.

what are the airlines thinking? oh yeah, they're not thinking. the customer be damned. the airlines want more revenue. these god awful 17.3 (and 17.1 too !!!) width seats are now the norm for long haul flights. again, wtf.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:44 am

So now I'm in LHR T5 business lounge having survived the trip back in economy.
Really, not too bad. Would do it again for Perth.

Not so sure for Melbourne.

I felt much better on arrival both ways than on other UK-Australia flights I've taken over the years.

Mitigating factors:
LHR-PER - I had exit row.
PER-LHR - I had aisle seat at back of front section, just in front of exit row. Full recline, no worries there.
Right opposite the loo door, which gets a big downgrade in SeatGuru , but suits me with my hyperactive kidneys, huge water intake and frequent exercise breaks.

Being QF LTG, I can choose my seat well ahead of time, and nobody seems to want that seat.

No upgrade seats available in J or PE. I guess the upgrades, if any, go to higher level FFs who've booked and requested earlier than me, probably from Melbourne.

Cons:
Seat width. However, on both flights my middle seat neighbour was small and agreeable, so not an issue. But could be if you get some disagreeable big lump. Luckily neither the middle nor window guy wanted to get up very often.

No smartgate going through immigration entering Perth. Weird. I thought all Australian international airports had them. The queue was very slow, 45 minutes and my bags were waiting at the carousel by the time I got through. Nevertheless I got to my hotel showered and shaved and was in client meeting within two hours of landing. They had smartgate at the special Qantas departure gate.

On departure I checked in early to work from the lounge. The special qf9 departure lounge doesn't open until two hours before ETD, so I went through security to the normal business lounge then we all went through security AGAIN to get to the QF9/10 lounge. Irritating but didn't take long.