Philippines

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Philippines

Post by mad hatter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 am

So were are to to PI next year for 2 weeks, flying into Manila. Where to?
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Re: Philippines

Post by misanthrope » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:23 am

Palawan.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 am

maybe, early july so weather iasues?
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:22 am

I have to say the Phills scare me. It's not a safe country like Thailand. People have to life in gated communities etc.

I would only go there to visit EMG.

It's so weird, both countries are poverty stricken. Why is Thailand so fucking safe and the Phills a cesspool of crime? In Thailand my wallet fell out of my pocket and someone handed it back to me. I don't think you'd find that level of niceness even in the states.
Ritalin Brightens Your Day!

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:07 am

ManchVegas wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:22 am
I have to say the Phills scare me. It's not a safe country like Thailand. People have to life in gated communities etc.

I would only go there to visit EMG.

It's so weird, both countries are poverty stricken. Why is Thailand so fucking safe and the Phills a cesspool of crime? In Thailand my wallet fell out of my pocket and someone handed it back to me. I don't think you'd find that level of niceness even in the states.
so you haven't been to the PI?

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:14 am

I was there years ago. In the 80's. It was work related. I was a flight attendant for a charter airline we did a lot of MAC flights. It's a foggy memory. I think they were closing down Clark Air force base. The locals were not happy because it meant job loss to them. We had to get on a military vehicle and be removed. They were like "You need to get out of here!"

I guess maybe that's why I have a negative view of the Phils?

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 am

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be a downer. I think you could have a perfectly nice trip there but you need to be aware and vigilant.

And to be honest. I don't think we were in any real danger. I thought the whole thing was over kill.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:44 am

If you are a gay male, is airline service mandatory?

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 am

HA! Yes. I think it is. It's so funny. When I meet people and I tell them I worked for an airline they're like "Flight Attendant" and I'm like "Yeah."

They never guess Captain or Co-Pilot.

Even though I'm gay the constant hit on your masculinity does take a toll to be honest. Having said that I can see why people would assume that about be.

Truth be told I've done everything but fly the plane!

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:31 am

July is the middle of rainy season, so expect rain wherever you go. But it's likely you'll get plenty of warm sunny days with morning or evening showers. Plus a few days of continuous rain.

El Nido and Coron Palawan are the must-see destinations for Palawan, which is a great choice. El Nido has a nice big beach but more issues with power outages. Coron town has no real beach but the island hopping is possibly the best in the world, and the diving is insanely good.

Boracay will be open again. Always worth visiting for a few days. Long white beach with lots of bars, restaurants, nightclubs. Powder white sand.

Bohol has a great mix of culture, scenery (Chocolate Hills), wildlife (tarsiers), and beautiful white sand beaches.

Cebu has some decent beaches and cool stuff to do in the interior like canyoneering. Plus historically significant sites and churches.

Puerto Galera is a good weekend escape from Manila. Just an hour by land then an hour and a half by boat. Nice beach. Beautiful interior of the island.

Popular places I still haven't been: Siargao. Cagayan de Oro. Bacolod.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:33 am

What are the must try foods EMG?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:59 am

EMG wrote:July is the middle of rainy season, so expect rain wherever you go. But it's likely you'll get plenty of warm sunny days with morning or evening showers. Plus a few days of continuous rain.

El Nido and Coron Palawan are the must-see destinations for Palawan, which is a great choice. El Nido has a nice big beach but more issues with power outages. Coron town has no real beach but the island hopping is possibly the best in the world, and the diving is insanely good.

Boracay will be open again. Always worth visiting for a few days. Long white beach with lots of bars, restaurants, nightclubs. Powder white sand.

Bohol has a great mix of culture, scenery (Chocolate Hills), wildlife (tarsiers), and beautiful white sand beaches.

Cebu has some decent beaches and cool stuff to do in the interior like canyoneering. Plus historically significant sites and churches.

Puerto Galera is a good weekend escape from Manila. Just an hour by land then an hour and a half by boat. Nice beach. Beautiful interior of the island.

Popular places I still haven't been: Siargao. Cagayan de Oro. Bacolod.
Thanks again taco. I'll let you know when we overnight in Manila, at this stage probably 17 July as think will transit straight away on the inbound.

Coron looks good. Kinda thinking Boracay, Coron and possibly Bohol also Oslob because whale shark.. Siargao has potential to be over run with annoying twats because it's the in spot... As a mate said who is building a house in PI, the problem is too many good options.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:12 am

That's a solid itinerary.

And agree with your friend, the only problem with the PI is there is too much to see and too little time.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:28 am

ManchVegas wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 am
HA! Yes. I think it is. It's so funny. When I meet people and I tell them I worked for an airline they're like "Flight Attendant" and I'm like "Yeah."

They never guess Captain or Co-Pilot.

Even though I'm gay the constant hit on your masculinity does take a toll to be honest. Having said that I can see why people would assume that about be.

Truth be told I've done everything but fly the plane!
Pretty soon gays will be the last vestiges of masculinity. You are beyond the reach of modern feminism.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Yeah, that's a good itinerary. Coron is tough to beat, Bohol and Cebu are nice. On Cebu, I would choose Moalboal, Malapascua, or Bantayan over Oslob.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Total Reject wrote:Yeah, that's a good itinerary. Coron is tough to beat, Bohol and Cebu are nice. On Cebu, I would choose Moalboal, Malapascua, or Bantayan over Oslob.
thanks will look into those last three

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Oslob is really only popular for the Whale Sharks. They are baited to be there, which throws off their migration so a lot of screamy environmentalists might castrate you for it if they find out. Moalboal is nearby and you can drive there in maybe 2 hours, so you could conceivably do both. Malapascua and Bantayan are on the complete opposite side of the island and better areas overall, in my opinion.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:48 pm

we need good overall locations rather than one feature and fuckall to do besides that. so thanks will do sone more research

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Malapascua is famous for the thresher sharks that you can see while scuba diving. Moalboal is famous for its massive sardine run that you can see diving or snorkeling. Both are said to be cool chill locations as well, but I haven't been to either.

TR is right about Oslob. It's famous for the whale sharks but doesn't have much else going on. Though there are some decent waterfalls and beaches in the general area.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 pm

EMG wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm
Malapascua is famous for the thresher sharks that you can see while scuba diving. Moalboal is famous for its massive sardine run that you can see diving or snorkeling. Both are said to be cool chill locations as well, but I haven't been to either.

TR is right about Oslob. It's famous for the whale sharks but doesn't have much else going on. Though there are some decent waterfalls and beaches in the general area.
Hey EMG, what have you been doing? I have not seen the Thresher sharks but heard it's a good (but long) trip. I will attest to the sardines at Moalboal, it is the most impressive schooling I've seen. My days of jetting off to Cebu crashed and burned back in February, in dramatic Filipina fashion that probably only EMG here could truly appreciate. It's all good, we remain distant "friends" on the ubiquitous Filipino social media after a few months of finding something to argue about every few weeks. Anyway, based on my limited experience in the country I think Coron/El Nido/Palawan is a top choice area, then Bohol/Cebu/outlying Visayas. There are so many cool areas, if it wasn't still sketchy I'd love to spend time in Mindanao, making my way to Tawi Tawi, but it's still pretty rough as I understand. Negros, Leyte, Samar... just not enough time in the travel schedule.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Total Reject wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 pm
Hey EMG, what have you been doing?
Same old same old. Having my own spectacular relationship dramas with Filipinas. Otherwise, travel when I can.

Was in Cebu a few weeks ago. Did the Badian canyoneering. Was planning to go diving in Anilao next weekend but there's a super typhoon about to hit Friday, so guess I'll just hang around Manila.

Have a flight to Iloilo next week, just for the weekend. Not sure what I'll be doing there. Probably just hang around on a beach somewhere and see what kind of trouble I can get in.

Hope you make it back out here one day and we can finally meet up.