Hunan

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Hunan

Post by 5waldos » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:43 pm

Anyone ever gone to the Phoenix Miao Silver Dress and Culture Festival, in Fenghuang county?

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/culture/20 ... 886858.htm

Looks quite interesting if we could only figure out when it will be in future.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Re: Hunan

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:46 am

Haven't been to Hunan, but believe these people from southern Yunnan are from the same Miao ethnic group.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Hunan

Post by 5waldos » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Sorry but- aah! Beautiful kids and wonderful clothes. The bigger child looks like my daughter did at that age.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am

Don't do it, Waldos. The Han overlords love it when the 55 officially recognized ethnic minorities of the PRC play dress up and sing songs praising the Commies for bringing economic development and ethnic harmony. Any person with half a brain would see through the propaganda department's script and choreography and once that occurs, it all becomes quite sad and pathetic.

The only place I've been to in Hunan is Chengtoushan, which is a town that's building a museum around an archaeological site that claims to be the oldest human settlement found in China. At least 5000 years old, maybe even a few thousand years older than that. Also claims to have remnants of rice cultivation, which would make it the oldest known rice paddies in the world.

It's actually pretty boring unless you're interested in seeing a legitimate small Chinese town. I had to survey people on why they visited the site. I was surprised how many people visited.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks- sure looked pretty but your description makes it sound like an in house version of the Shen Yun shows. We will give it a skip.

rosstralia
Stew Ingredient

Post by rosstralia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:41 am

I've to Changsha, Zhangjiajie and Fenghuang in Hunan. I quite liked Fenghuang. It was off season when I was there and it was reasonably quiet. I saw quite a few people in minority dress but they seemed to be doing normal shit like working and selling stuff to tourists. I didn't see any shows there.

I'm sure many people from both minorities and Han Chinese have been screwed over by rich people trying to cash in on tourism. In some instances the minorities are in a far better position to negotiate a deal because they have something of value to bargain with.

I'd say go there and see things for yourself rather than listening to people who havent even been to the place. Stay in accomodation and eat at places run by locals. I'm sure they will be happy to get your business.
The poster below is a moron

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:32 pm

It was this particular event that was drawing me to the place. We saw a documentary on it and it was very appealing. Otherwise perhaps sometime in the future.