Choir Festival 2019 - Tallin Estonia

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Choir Festival 2019 - Tallin Estonia

Post by Agent009 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:03 pm

The 16th International Choir Festival “Tallinn 2019” - April 11-14, 2019
http://www.kooriyhing.ee/eng/1947/16th- ... llinn-2019

Hello.......

A friend of mine who has MS and uses a motorized wheeelchair has always wanted to attend this festival, and she is going to do it next year.
Instead of having her come here, make a post, get called Dave, and wonder WTF this place is.....
Ive taken it upon myself to ask all you, some of the bestest travel minds on the planet, if you have anything to offer that might help.

Anyone been to this festival?

Shes done some research, and found estonia to seeemingly be handicap accessible enough, and from what i understand has found some sort of group to help her, though im not sure to what extent.
She is not going solo and will have a friend with her.
Anyone have the scooop on the reality of handicap accessibility in estonia?

She also wants to visit national parks.

Any and all info would be mucho appreciated.
Thanks!
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Re: Choir Festival 2019 - Tallin Estonia

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Can't offer any useful advice, but envy her a week of hearing that etherial Arvo Part-type music. It all sounds the same, but it all sounds very deep.

My general experience is that Europe is a lot more handicapped friendly than America is.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 am

i visited tallinn a few years ago. unfortunately i did not look too closely as to the city's handicap accessibility. most of the town was flat with cobble stone streets. i did walk up to the castle, but i don't remember many stairs or any other potential difficulties. i think your friend will be fine.

here are some pics from tallinn:

but while she is there, tell her to take the 2 hour ferry ride over to helsinki, finland. i hung out with kape while i was there.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:20 pm

The choir festival was in Riga when we were there last year and also when wife was there in 2015.

It's just a buzz when you're going around as there are choirs setting up and singing all over the place - as well as more organised indoor & outdoor concerts.

One Israeli tour group in our hotel turned out to be one of the visiting choirs and were rehearsing, or just starting up spontaneously, in the lobby at breakfast time.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:21 pm

BR, cummy, and glimpet, Oh My!....
The Cla55 of the board here to help!

BR - Ya, even though ADA has worked wonders, parts of yankfield are still lacking....
Her research has said most anything new will be goood to go, which basically lines up with estonias 15 years in the EU, as they are sticklers for accessibility for people with disabilities.
As for the old stuff, like anywhere, it can depend on luck and who wants to help.

Cummy - Nice pics. It loooks to be a beautiful place. I dig the medieval vibe. I believe her chair will do well on those cobblestone streets, its the curbs that are a bitch.
Its been my experience, not as someone with a disability but as an observer, that local peoples like to help tourists that need help.

Glimps - Degreeed, having choirs in every noook and cranny of town would be bonkers. She is going to have a very koool trip.

Any national park recommendations? Or things to see outside tallinn?
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Riga / Latvia is famous for its choirs.

I didn’t know it was also a thing in Estonia.

One recommendation: get the ferry over to Helsinki for a day. It’s an easy trip, and it’s worth seeing Smellstinki while she’s in the neighbourhood.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:14 am

It's a moving festival Simon, seems to rotate around the wee Baltics.