paris

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

paris

Post by veronica_inheels » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:02 pm

im in paris next week.

any suggestions?

i love paris. i usually walk around for hours, go to restaurants, hang out. any area/spot you recommend?

ill be there wed-friday. so everything should be open ( except it is august, so most places can be closed no?)
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: paris

Post by VinnyD » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:30 pm

I liked the tour of the sewers, even if you don't ride through them in a boat anymore.

Last time I was there was actually the first time I went up in the Eiffel Tower. Every other time I had thought of doing it it was overcast or raining. The lines are reasonable if you are willing to walk up. And you can take the lift down whether you bought a lift ticket or not.

Speaking of lines, Ste-Chapelle may be my favorite place in Paris, but the lines were so horrendous we skipped it.

There is a museum pass worth getting because then you don't have to queue for tickets e.g. at the Louvre.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:11 am

thanks vinny.

i will also be in paris for few days two weeks later in september. i already got Versailles tickets for that time.
as to museums, i wanted to see orsay. never got to go because of the lineups. louvre i saw 25 years ago.
fun thing i saw was two months ago: https://www.atelier-lumieres.com/

i cant go up the eiffel because i get vertigo. so this is not for me.

have you been to the catacombs? i tried to see it in May, but it was a holiday/long weekend and it was closed.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:33 am

I've only seen the ones in Rome, but I saw a show on the catacombs of Paris. They are huge, and look pretty cool.

http://www.catacombes.paris.fr/en/homep ... al-website
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:02 pm

i love paris. i usually walk around for hours, go to restaurants, hang out. any area/spot you recommend?
Ditto. Great walking city. Find a book with suggested walking tours. Did a 1/2 day walk in 4th arondissment that was lovely - started in the gorgeous Place des Voges and wandered all over the Marais viewing architectural gems. Never get tired of walking about in the Latin Quarter either. Cluny museum in 5th arondissment is gorgeous as well. And as for all of the local cheese shops.....divine!

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:14 pm

The last time I was in Paris I hung around the Canal St. Martin area. I like watching the locks work and seeing boats come and go. It looks like a recently rejuvenated area with lots of green space, very pretty.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes, I was up that way last time too. Very pretty and peaceful and not very touristed.

The Musée d'Orsay was the first one where we avoided the lines by buying the pass at a newsstand. I forget what the pass is called, though, and it may not be worth it depending on how many museums you are planning on.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:06 pm

I like to visit places with ties to French history, art and literature.

In Paris, one of these is the apartment of Victor Hugo, in the Place des Vosges. Another, just about a block away, is the Musée Carnavalet, a museum focused on the history of Paris. From 1677 until her death in 1696, the Marquise de Sévigné lived there, and some of the rooms have been preserved along with her furniture. The Marquise is remembered best for her hundreds of letters, including one she wrote to her daughter after having been a guest at a banquet in honor of Louis XIV given at the Chateau de Chantilly. According to her account, François Vatel, the chef supervising the banquet, was so distraught over things going wrong that he commited suicide by running himself through with his sword.

The museum also contains a large collection of items from the time of the French Revolution and the Napoleonic era that followed. The 20th century is included with a reconstruction of the room in which Marcel Proust wrote his magnum opus.

I found the Musée Rodin to be fascinating. Many of the sculptor's works are represented, one of them a version of Le Penseur that overlooks the museum garden.

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:10 pm

I had a very pleasant few days in the bars and cafes around Opera at the beginning of the year. Nice neighbourhood.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Only liked the Lovre Museum, seeing the Arch d'Triumph and Eiffel Tower, and walking around the Latin Quarter near The Sorbonne. That's it.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm

What did you see that you didn't like, Steve?
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:21 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:22 pm
Only liked the Lovre Museum, seeing the Arch d'Triumph and Eiffel Tower, and walking around the Latin Quarter near The Sorbonne. That's it.
Agree Steavo...Paris is ok but way overrated...especially by North Amerrykans.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:13 pm

Didn't like the fact that you can't sit or lie on the grass in the city. Stupid.
Went to the Bastille Day parade one year, Boring. It apparently impressed Donald Trump, however.
The other major cities of Europe are more interesting, especially London and Rome.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 pm

I like the chairs in parks. And people reading.
Rodin! That’s what I want to see. And will check the plane snow recommends. I have not been there.

I had a hotel near madeleines/opera. Now I’m staying near republique.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:49 pm

I normally stay around Madeleine and Opera because that's where I first stayed so have some idea of my bearings from there.

Cheapish hotels in Rue de Surene area.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:36 pm

One of my best memories of Paris is the time I arrived at Orly rather than DeGaulle and took a taxi from the airport to my hotel on the right bank, near the Opera. The trip takes you through parts of the city that most tourists don't see. As we crossed the Seine and passed the Louvre, there was a huge hole in the courtyard. I asked the driver what was happening there, and he said there would be a pyramid in the courtyard.

A pyramid? I remembered that the temple at Abu Simbel had been dismantled and moved to higher ground when the Aswan dam was built, but to move a whole pyramid was almost incomprehensible.

I asked the taxi driver: "Une pyramide? D'où?" "Une pyramide de verre, Monsieur!" Yes, sometimes I can understand spoken French even if I don't catch every word, but this was a case where I ended up looking stupid.

That hole, filled in (photo from Wikipedia):

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:02 pm

There is a Rodin museum in Philadelphia too. (Never been to either.)

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 pm

On the whole, I'd rather be in Paris.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 pm

This thread has been crying out for musical interludes.

Et en anglais:

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Another song about Paris:

And another musuem:

Musée Bourdelle

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:00 am

shopping at galeries lafayette. you can fight the HORDES of chinese tourists in this store. omg.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm

hehe cummy. if only i liked shopping. i would have a field day with my elbows.

i guess i will fight them in Versailles. buses and buses of chinese. wearing weird clothes. big sunglasses. hats. posing. phones in hand.

thank you cummy for indulging me with my favourite topic.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:52 pm

My guess is that the people in the first photo are Japanese, and that only the ones in the second are Chinese.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:18 am

They all look the same.

Same same.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:22 am

veronica_inheels wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm
big boobies...? :lol:

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:48 am

cummy wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:22 am
veronica_inheels wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm
big boobies...? :lol:
Cummy, food is amazing. Love it here. France is my happy place

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:08 am

Call ahead and visit Edith Piaf's apartment. Very intimate and strange to be in that creaky and dark space that's almost never seen. But if you call them, they're happy to open it up for you (or were). I gave them 20 euro's. There was a listed fee.

Famous, not expensive cafe/bar nearby, as well as the beautiful grave yard (Gambetta train stop) where Jim Morrison is buried (also Marcel Marceau).

I bought 4 croissants for 2 euro's at a nothing looking place on the other side of the grave yard that were the best I ever ate.

My hated ex loved the Museum De Carnival and made me spend 2 hours there. But if you give 2 shits about the French Revolution, it's a very good museum.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am

We love, love, love David Lebovitz:

https://www.davidlebovitz.com

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:37 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:08 am
Call ahead and visit Edith Piaf's apartment. Very intimate and strange to be in that creaky and dark space that's almost never seen. But if you call them, they're happy to open it up for you (or were). I gave them 20 euro's. There was a listed fee.

Famous, not expensive cafe/bar nearby, as well as the beautiful grave yard (Gambetta train stop) where Jim Morrison is buried (also Marcel Marceau).

I bought 4 croissants for 2 euro's at a nothing looking place on the other side of the grave yard that were the best I ever ate.

My hated ex loved the Museum De Carnival and made me spend 2 hours there. But if you give 2 shits about the French Revolution, it's a very good museum.
I am not far ffrom it. But it seems closed till Monday.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:09 pm

For cummy, I will repeat my Galeries Lafayette story:

A friend has a collection of Quimper, earthenware that's often covered with a yellow glaze and decorated with the figure of a Breton. I told her I'd look for any unusual pieces while in Paris, and asked a clerk at Galeries Lafayette if they had any "choses de Quimper." Yes, she said, but in the other building, on the (I've forgotten which floor). I crossed the street, entered the other building, then took the escalator. I laughed as the escalator was almost at the floor I'd been directed to, because what I saw displayed were tents, lanterns, and other items of interest to a camper.

Where did I eventually find some Quimper pottery? At the flea market.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:53 am

^^^ that's a GREAT story, NA ! i can totally see that happening.