Help me pack light

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Re: Help me pack light

Post by shilgia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Your list looks pretty good to me. Since I've been officially invited to this thread :), here are some questions/comments (sorry if some have been covered):

1. Do you need both flipflops and sandals? I'd keep the trainers and the sandals (wear the trainers on travel days; sandals in your bag), but ditch the flipflops.

2. One key to traveling light is to bring small versions of toiletries. No large tubes of toothpaste, big bottles of shampoo, etc. Bring travel-sized versions and replenish on the road if needed.

3. What do you mean by 'laundry bag'? Just a plastic bag that folds down to nothing should do, no?

4. Wet wipes - are they necessary? (That said, I'm assuming you're talking about a small package; not a huge box.) Same question for cotton swabs. Do you need?

5. I wouldn't bring both a cardigan and a fleece. Take one or the other. Maybe neither will be perfect for all possible occasions, but it will be good enough. If you're planning for cold nights, you could bring the fleece and leave the cardigan behind. Or bring the cardigan and wear multiple tops over one another on particularly cold nights.

6. Is the detergent necessary? This may be destination dependent. If you use hostel laundry services or hand wash in public facilities (using hand soap), you don't need it.

7. Can you use your phone's flashlight instead of a separate torch?

For what it's worth, right now I'm traveling with a 28L bag that came in just under the 7 kg limit at the airport:

- Clothes: 1x thick pants (not worn in more than a month, since I arrived in warmer climates); 2x flimsy pants; 5 tops; 2 dresses; 1 cardigan; trainers (they double as running shoes); sandals; 3x socks; 1 flimsy night thing (I slip into pants when going to a shared bathroom at night); running shorts; quick-drying running shirt; running bra; 7x underpants; 2 bras. (This is a bit more than necessary really, but I had the space.)

- Toiletries (in what's essentially a thin plastic bag with a drawstring; no bulky padded toiletry bag): toothbrush; toothpaste; shampoo; shower gel; deodorant; ibuprofen; sunscreen; bug spray; razor.

- Other: silk liner; travel towel; a few sets of ear plugs; padlock; little wallet thing for other currencies, backup credit cards, home keys, etc. (things not needed every day); little notebook; pens; sunglasses; passport etc.

- (Stuff you don't all need, but listing it here because it contributed to the 7 kg.) Computer; big iPad; kindle; chargers.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm

About the razor (and I have that little one too), it's not for sparing others the horrible sight of stubble. I prefer the feeling of smooth legs and pits.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks shilgia!

1. Yep, I'm going trainers and sandals. Barefooted in showers doesn't bother me.

2. Yep, I only ever use 100ml travel bottles.

3. It's just a net drawstring bag.

4. Wet wipes - just a little pack in my handbag for a cool down when packed 20 people to a 12 seater minibus

5. Hmm...this seems to be something everyone agrees on. I'll seriously consider it, but I do love a thin cotton cardi in preference to a thick synthetic fleece when it's only a tiny bit cooler.

6. Yep, destination wise a necessity. But again, just 100ml of concentrated stuff.

7. Good thinking.

And thanks for sharing your packing list. As I won't have a laptop or an iPad, it seems I might find it easier to come in under 7kg than I thought.
Pass the wine...

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:30 pm

i don't pack lightly, so unfortunately i cannot offer any advice there.

however, i can suggest ways to lighten your load during your trip. on many trips i will take only old clothes: about to be thrown out shirts/ shorts/ undies/ socks/ shoes/ etc. then, as i check out of each hotel, i leave a pile of stuff there. i just unloaded about 1/2 suitcase on my last trip. or sometimes i take 1/2 good clothes and 1/2 old clothes. i also buy big-sized/bulky items at my destination. for example, for a beach hols, i will buy a beach towel (and sun creme) at the destination.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Ha, Cummy. I'd already thought I might do that. I've got a whole bunch of knickers that are past their best, that I thought I might just dump at the end of the holiday. Likewise at least a couple of the tops. I'm not sure how much difference it will make, but it might mean a couple more gifts fitting in to bring home
Pass the wine...

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:06 pm

This thread reminds me of going travelling...Mrs Lincoln loves a good list! she writes down everything and takes weeks packing.

A well planned and efficiently packed backpack is a thing of beauty but I've rarely achieved it....I end up buying stuff from markets and street stalls on the road that are badly made,bulky but tend to be unique to the country/town so I don't end up travelling light.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 pm

The big Deuter backpack I got with my 'money for a new backpack' retirement gift didn't work for my body size/shape at all, so it's being sold unused, and I'm getting an Osprey Fairview 40l instead. So that's going to be my packing light bag. That will concentrate my mind much more than just not putting much in my 55+15 old one. And it will also be my city break bag.

But yeah, it's bringing more stuff back that will be a pain.
Pass the wine...

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:07 pm

My wife has a Deuter...very solid but not for me either...I likea side opening backpack.

One recommendation my mrs made that was spot on was to use "Packing Compartments"....I thought it was unnecessary at first but I was wrong....when you are on the road you just want to find what you looking for real quick sometimes.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:57 pm

I love packing cubes. Especially when you're moving on regularly, it makes it so much easier to just remove a few cubes and take out what you need. Repacking is just a case of zipping them up and putting them back. And you know where everything is instead of having to empty out your pack to find something that's ended up at the bottom.
Pass the wine...

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:09 am

leela wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:57 pm
I love packing cubes. Especially when you're moving on regularly, it makes it so much easier to just remove a few cubes and take out what you need. Repacking is just a case of zipping them up and putting them back. And you know where everything is instead of having to empty out your pack to find something that's ended up at the bottom.
Totally! I (well, we, but ehs can't be bothered) got a set from ehs' cousin, and I'm converted! Now that I'm a tourist and not a traveler, I pack less light but more organized. Mini threadjack: I bought a big 24" (medium) spinner, with double wheels on each post, today after we booked our air tickets! I decided to go soft sided again this time, rather than hard sided which is suddenly trendy. It's a Victorinox. Packing cubes will work perfectly with this beast.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 am

I had to google packing cubes. They look pretty practical. Might get some. I hate digging to the bottom of my backpack all the time.

My backpack is 40L also. I use it for everything.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 am

EMG wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 am
I had to google packing cubes. They look pretty practical. Might get some.
Do it. Seriously, they've transformed packing for me. Unfortunately the super cheap ones tend to come in sets of varying sizes, while you'll probably find you need different combinations or just several of the same size to meet your needs. But over time I've ended up with exactly the right ones for me. I got ben_h some for Christmas, for his big trip, and they seem to be working for him too.
Pass the wine...

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:20 am

I looked on Lazada (or version of Amazon) and they're like $4-5 for a 5 piece set. Won't kill me to buy a few and mix sizes.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:54 am

Packing cube can function as a pillow when I am camping.

I have perfect my travelling wardrobe through the years, but it takes both time to find the right things and financial investment to get the right things. Mostly it's about the right material having the light(est) weight, then you need to put together a set that is minimally stylish and colour coordinated without dressing like a homeless person or a dancer from 80s breakdance music video. I started paying attention to weight when I purchase things I would take on the road. A rain/wind jacket can weight 700g, but also 300g (or less), that is 400g saved just with one clothing item. Imagine if you do that to everything you travel with.

I don't often have to travel light but when I do (cycling trips when I have to take everything and climb slopes), I often just take 2 extra pairs of undie and 1 extra t-shirt = baselayer and 1 extra pair of socks, and like a low life backpacker, wash them with my (twice) daily shower. It liberates me from carrying a bulk of extra clothing, and finding hotel service to wash them. If you choose to do that, you need to give up on cotton clothing (dry slowly) and choose either synthetic (smell quickly with sweat) or thin merino (more expensive but a wool t shirt can manage a few days without feeling like it is smelly, unlike a cotton t shirt, which I can only manage to wear for no longer than a day without feeling dirty to put it on.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:18 am

Ok, I'm convinced. Packing cubes it is. I've watched a video and, though they aren't quite as space efficient as rolling/squashing, the additional benefits are worth it. Not going overboard, though, 2/3 should do it.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:20 pm

We save the cloth bags that shoes and handbags come in and laundry bags from hotels. Pencil cases are good for batteries and wires.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:53 pm

DCComic wrote:We save the cloth bags that shoes and handbags come in and laundry bags from hotels.
That only works if you buy expensive shoes and handbags that come in cloth bags. And stay in hotels that have cloth laundry bags.
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Now we will discuss what 'expensive' is.
The cloth bag thing seems to be a matter of presentation rather than price.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Yeah, I think it’s more a matter of type of shoe than price of shoe that determines whether it comes with a bag. I’m pretty sure my $30 Nine West office shoes (pumps) came with a bag and two of those stick things that you use to keep the shoes in good shape when traveling with them. And so did the most expensive shoes I’ve ever bought (Kate Spade pumps). Maybe Kate spade’s bag and stick things were of slightly better quality; I think the Nine West bag got a rip in it pretty quickly and the stick things are made of cardboard rather than plastic.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:09 pm

I've amassed quite a collection of packing cubes and things over the years.

Eagle Creek - cost more but last longer, good zips, never failed yet.

I use their shirt packers too for business trips.

John Lewis or Go Travel , variety packs - cheaper, lighter, thinner, zips fail more easily but OK if handled carefully.

Vacuum compression bags for bulky items like coats and also for laundry as I go along.

All great for me because I can be a bit disorganised otherwise.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm not sure what staff and other guests think when they hear air-squeezing noises coming from my room in the morning.

Sex doll, probably.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 pm

I've never bought shoes that came with cloth bags. Maybe I've just shopped in the wrong places (Clarks and Hotter)

The first cube I had was an Eagle Creek. It came with some sort of a deal at a gear stand at a travel exhibition, and it was perfect. I lost it about five years ago, and before pretty much every trip, I reminded my daughters that I'd mislaid it and asked if they'd seen it around. But no.
Then last week I went to my daughter's new place, and found it in her bathroom with all her cosmetics in.

All my others are IKEA or cheap from Amazon.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:56 pm

I hate to report this , but most kids would rather see you lose your mind from thinking something's lost forever than bother their arse to look for it.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:00 pm

leela wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 pm
I reminded my daughters that I'd mislaid it and asked if they'd seen it around. But no.
Then last week I went to my daughter's new place, and found it in her bathroom with all her cosmetics in.
I doubt you have the fury that utter distain deserves in you.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 pm

To be fair, I don't think she can have realised what I was asking about. They both always looked blank when I asked them. She's probably the most honest person I know, so lying about it wasn't involved.
Pass the wine...

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Take it back! You want your packing cubes!

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:37 pm

Oh yes, there's no problem with that. She's getting it back to me, and was most apologetic.
Pass the wine...

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 pm

That razor is cool, I have to find some of those!
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Post by truenic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 pm

I think micvan and I can travel together. My "best" was about 12 lbs, so about 5.5 kg, but that was in a hot country. Still, 3 weeks.

One pair of pants that have straps so I can cinch them into capris.
One pair of leggings that I can wear under above pants if it's cold, or under lightweight dress, or just on it's own.
One pair of shorts
Three t-shirts
Two lightweight tank tops/camisoles
One lightweight long sleeved zippered jacket
One dress that can double as a nightdress if need be
One dress that I can dress up or down, and wear above leggings and shorts underneath. I have three of these dresses: https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332487 ... =332487460
They weight nothing and even have pockets

ETA-everything goes together. There isn't one piece that doesn't go with everything else.
I also wear trail runners on the plane and have lightweight sandals. If I feel like splurging on weight, I'll pack some flats that squish down into nothing.

Toiletries
Anything liquid/cream/gel goes into contact lens containers. Moisturizer, sunscreen, lip balm...that way I can dispose of them as I finish them off.
Last edited by truenic on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 pm

You can’t pick up an iron but have a backpack. Have you considered a wheeling suitcase? You can always get someone to lift it for you- especially if you still have a sling.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Yep. I've already decided to take my shower gel/shampoo not in my good travel bottles, but in bottles I'm happy to throw away at the end.

5Ws, the back pack is the reason I really have to get this thing fixed. I'll be fine with it on, it's putting it on that will be the problem. And the physio says a wheelie (even if one was remotely doable where I'm going, which it isn't) would cause problems too, as it would put my shoulder in the 'wrong' position again and start the pain up. In fact it's probably pulling a wheelie behind me in central Asia that caused it.
Pass the wine...

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 pm

You obviously need to hire someone to bring with you to fetch and carry. Out of the goodness of my heart- I will volunteer my services. And for what it is worth I know how to iron too- despite being an American. I have even been known to iron bedsheets.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:13 pm

leela wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:28 am
Ha. I'm enjoying the photo suggestions.

Anyway, I've pruned my last packing list to this:

Buying stuff once I'm at my primary destination isn't an option. I'm in a remote location, with no shops of any kind within a 60 - 90 minute walk. And they won't sell anything that I could leave off this list. Probably three hours drive to a pharmacy, if I could find someone to take me. Image
surely gadjets could be cut down to phone and usb charging lead.

phones have a torch and notebook within them nowadays too..

and make that sandals OR flipflops (thongs FFS!), make your mind up you don't need both.

also every local bamboo shop will sell laundry detergent, you dont really want to be crossing borders with white powder in ziplock bags, nor do you want to be carrying liquid detergent, once that stuff starts leaking you will totally get why..

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks dbro, though most of your suggestions have already been addressed. I need the Kindle to read, as I've no room for books, and the power bank because I'm going to be living off grid for a week.
Shops will sell detergent, but then what? I carry a big box around in my backpack as I travel through the country?

To be clear, this list isn't just about getting on the plane with as little as possible, then settling down somewhere where I don't have to move until I set off home. I'm going to be carrying a cabin size backpack with me on local transport for nearly half the time. And probably walking down a mountain with it for a few hours too. So adding stuff once I arrive in the country (a frequent suggestion) isn't an answer to anything. I can't add to the bag. I'm going to be dumping stuff to make room for small souvenirs, as it is.

Anyway, I've been carrying a little screw top bottle of Stergene around for as long as I've been travelling. No accidents yet.
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Are you happy with your list or are you still looking to trim?

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 pm

leela wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm
Thanks dbro, though most of your suggestions have already been addressed.
I , er, didn't read through the thread..

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:42 pm

dBrother wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 pm
leela wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm
Thanks dbro, though most of your suggestions have already been addressed.
I , er, didn't read through the thread..
Mutha!!!!
Pass the wine...

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:46 pm

I have realised that things have changed since the OP though. I was intending taking the 55l+15l pack with not much in. Now I'm just taking a 40l pack and nothing else (bar a medium HBB which has the advantage of appearing to be a handbag (for airline purposes) but holds 10l. So yeah, no room for extra purchases.
Pass the wine...

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:23 pm

leela wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:46 pm
I have realised that things have changed since the OP though. I was intending taking the 55l+15l pack with not much in. Now I'm just taking a 40l pack and nothing else (bar a medium HBB which has the advantage of appearing to be a handbag (for airline purposes) but holds 10l. So yeah, no room for extra purchases.
How will we get our coffee spoons?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Speaking of which:

Should I bring the DSLR camera that hardly ever leaves the closet? Or just use the iPhone?

Iceland.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:40 pm

p.s. the box of wine and packaged food (cuz Iceland is $$$$) may have taken up the camera space allocation.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm
Speaking of which:

Should I bring the DSLR camera that hardly ever leaves the closet? Or just use the iPhone?

Iceland.

Give the DSLR one more chance.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm
Speaking of which:

Iceland.
Since you don't use it give me the DSLR. This summer I dropped my Cannon point and shoot on the cobblestones and the cobblestones won. I am trying to decide if I want to spend the bucks for a DSLR. This would save me the decision. Thank you.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

I did bring it with me.

But I lost my wallet today--at Duty Free, I think--so I am in a bit of a pickle.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm
I did bring it with me.

But I lost my wallet today--at Duty Free, I think--so I am in a bit of a pickle.
Ugh. That's an awful feeling. Do you have a spare card/money anywhere?
Pass the wine...

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Meanwhile I'm sure you're all wondering how it's going.
Well all my clothes fit in the larger packing cube, my sandals, knickers and bra will all fit in the smaller one. The purple thing is a packaway nylon day pack, so I can bring some crafts from the projects home* (I'll check my main bag in for the flight back). Any other odds and ends (spare glasses, charger etc) will either go in a slim flat packing cube, or in the medium Healthy Back Bag that I'm using as a handbag/purse.
*Hopefully that answers Stan's question.

I'll also have trainers, and a fleece jacket which I'll wear for the flight, and which should pack reasonably flat on top of everything. If it turns out there's room for my thin cardigan, I'll take it. I recalled that when I stayed up at the Nyika Plateau last year it was actually cold. So it'd be another layer if needed. Image
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:23 pm

How long 'till you leave?

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:43 pm

A week. This is a trial packing session, as I've not used my new backpack before, and I want to get it set up properly. Last time I got a new pack I left it too late, only to discover that it wasn't a good fit for me.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Chuck the Puzzler and download some puzzles.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:04 pm

I've recently discovered that I find puzzles much more satisfying and relaxing done on paper.
Also I don't want to be that person sitting on the terrace of the cliffside bar staring at their phone all the time.
Pass the wine...