Help me pack light

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Re: Help me pack light

Post by GLimpet » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 am

My annual contract review meeting in PNR was Thursday morning.
Ethiopian ETA PNR 13:15 Thursday.

Last time I asked client, they insisted they couldn't reschedule.
So I might just turn around and fly home from Paris.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:11 am

cummy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:27 am
enjoy the ET 777-300ER. this bird still has the old school 3-3-3 config in econ. most airlines (yuck) are moving to an excruciating 3-4-3 on the 777 birds.

I took a UA 777 LHR-ORD that was 2-5-2. Luckily I was in a 2.

Service was superb, unlike every other UA flight I've taken.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:56 pm

leela wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:36 pm
You can tuck the waist straps away on mine, if you just want to use the shoulder ones.
That. If your backpack has meaty waist straps but no way to hide/tuck them away, you can always buckle them up at the front of the backpack when not in use.

I love meaty waist straps even for smaller backpacks, since I tend to carry shit and some more for other people as well.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:53 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 am
My annual contract review meeting in PNR was Thursday morning.
Ethiopian ETA PNR 13:15 Thursday.

Last time I asked client, they insisted they couldn't reschedule.
So I might just turn around and fly home from Paris.
Did you make it Glimpet?
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:08 am

Made it there, got roasted by client at new meeting time Friday morning, back home for two hours on Saturday , back to airport, down to London, managed to meet up with leela and Brodie, and now in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.

Where I'm gonna stay put for a few days.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:35 am

I got my backpak! It's a thing of beauty, but it also looks very well made.

I've also advertised the old 70l Berghouse backpack with wheels on LetGo. Someone's supposed to pick it up today.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 am

Klara wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:59 pm
I think I've found my backpack. Image
Eastpak, 35l, about the same price as the Osprey. :shock:
Just a quick update. I used this lovely thing for the first time this weekend and honestly, I couldn't love it any more.
I packed for both me and my son in a totally unminimalistic fashion (a big book, french coffee press, stuffed toy etc) and still had plenty of room left. I didn't walk very far with it, but it felt great on my back. And it's very pretty, of course.
I'm so glad I actually like it. I saw so many backpacks I would have given up after this one.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am

Yay! We both have backpacks we love!
That one looks very compact and neat. It's certainly a prettier colour than mine. I'm glad the search was worth it.
Pass the wine...

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Oooh I'm glad I've seen this thread. I picked up a cheap 45L top loading bag on my recent trip. Mainly cos I needed another bag to bring back my swag of gifts. It was £24 and I really did buy it because it was the only cheap bag big enough in tk Maxx.

Anyway, I realised that although it was very easy to carry and drag home as carry on, I am not a fan of top loaders. I like the bags that open up a bit more. So guess who might go looking for that Osprey Fairview?? In forest green. Cos I have already picked out the colour...

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Oooh! And yes, I loved carrying a lighter bag. It really does make a big difference. Mine was so comfy to wear. I hope you find one at a decent price. I did a lot of research to get mine at a 25% discount.
Pass the wine...

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 pm

I think I will too. I knew I was going to buy another bag on that trip (cos I was buying things...) But it was the wrong time to spend a lot of money on a backpack. Or more specifically, spend time finding the right backpack to spend money on.

The Osprey one looks nice though. I will also check out some local brands like macpac. My 'proper' bag is a macpac and I love it.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:52 pm

And now my pages are littered with adverts for the Fairview.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Adding to this thread because I found a new way to save space.

My daughter brought me some compression packing cubes for Christmas. I tried them out on this last trip, and they're perfect for packing light while needing to have space to bring extra things back.
I packed them as normal cubes, but when it was time to come home (and to find the space for souvenirs), I used the extra compression zips to flatten them and create extra space in my backpack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gonex-Compress ... king+cubes
Pass the wine...

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:22 pm

leela wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm
Yep. My Fairview, despite being the women's version of the Farpoint (same capacity but the straps are set differently for smaller frames) is very ungirly. It's a greenish mud colour, and the only alternative is a darkish green.

Though I have to say that I prefer that approach to Deuter's nod to women on their smaller frame packs, which is to attach a yellow artificial flower to it.

I hope you're right about this one Leela because i just ordered one(mens version obviously)....i like that its treated as carry on luggage, i'm going to try in on a small trip in April and if that goes well then it'll be my go-to backpack for all future trips....ong and short.

Do you think it'd surfice for a 6 month+ trip or would it be too small?

I paid 72quid BTW.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:05 pm

leela wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:31 pm
My daughter brought me some compression packing cubes for Christmas. I tried them out on this last trip, and they're perfect for packing light while needing to have space to bring extra things back.
I packed them as normal cubes, but when it was time to come home (and to find the space for souvenirs), I used the extra compression zips to flatten them and create extra space in my backpack.
Leela did you find the compression cubes made a big difference?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 pm

I like the look of those Gonex cubes but I'm sticking with Eagle Creek.

I bought a couple more in Strasbourg last week.

The transparent plastic vacuum compression sacks I mostly use for dirty laundry, but sometimes for other stuff. I've tried a few other brands but they're shit compared to EC.

Cubes also help me to pack for a series of one-night stops so that I don't have to unpack my suitcase all the time.

I've been accumulating them for about ten years.

I still have a couple of cheapo John Lewis sacks for overnight trips because they're so thin, for a change of shirt and underwear in my laptop bag. But the zips are crap.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:18 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:05 pm
leela wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:31 pm
Leela did you find the compression cubes made a big difference?
I didn't measure, but I reckon they became half their height with compression.
Pass the wine...

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:13 am

I have a flight coming up with a 6 kg maximum. We’ll see how my bag fares. I have no idea if I’m below or above that... It’s an Indonesian airline, though, so/and I’d be surprised if anyone would actually bother to weigh. So far I haven’t seen them being particularly interested in enforcing rules. But who knows. Maybe my hubris will leave me stranded in Kupang.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:42 am

Just bounce the bag on the scales and chat with them when they’re checking it.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:36 am

simon_in_exile wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:42 am
Just bounce the bag on the scales and chat with them when they’re checking it.
yes, this! at the same time act like a panicky first time traveler. keep asking the following (and not necessarily in this order):

is the flight on time? do i have enough time to get through security? where exactly is security? do i have to take off my shoes, take out my laptop, take out my liquids - all at the same time? what gate is the flight? is that a far walk? i cannot walk very fast since the knee operation. is there additional security at the gate? another passport check? i think i see the inbound flight is delayed. what's going to happen now?

... just totally distract the person. it has worked for me a few times.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 am

Haha!

So far on this trip I’ve gotten away with not weighing at all because my bag looks small. Not sure whether it looks 6 kg small, but fingers crossed that it continues to go that way.

And I hope it’s not racist, but Indonesians in general don’t seem to be sticklers for rules, and also don’t seem to be looking to make work for themselves (but rather the opposite), so I think my chances are good. (And maybe my bag is actually under 6 kg. Don’t know.)

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:56 pm

I saw people's hand luggage being weighed on airasia flights in Singapore and KL. 7kg.

Big, numerous pockets on your body/pants/fleece/jacket, are your friend. I had 8.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks. Of course it will vary with what you are packing, a sweater will compact more than a pair of jeans. I am thinking of this as for our trip this summer and I think to cut down on luggage fees my wife and I may share a suite case. Of course there is still the weight restriction.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:33 am

Step 1 - OK. (Ende -> Kupang.). The limit here is 7 kg and they didn’t weigh.

I wonder if part of it is just having to deal with something additional in English. Better to just let the foreigner through quickly and be done with it.

Two more steps to go today.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:47 am

If we ever get out of here, that is. So far it’s ten minutes past scheduled departure time and the plane is not yet here. No announcement afaik. I have a one-hour layover in Kupang, which seems doomed unless the plane gets here soon, though who knows if flight #2 will be delayed, too, and I’ll be able to make it.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:28 pm
Thanks. Of course it will vary with what you are packing, a sweater will compact more than a pair of jeans. I am thinking of this as for our trip this summer and I think to cut down on luggage fees my wife and I may share a suite case. Of course there is still the weight restriction.
That's what we do.
One big suitcase between us.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:10 am

I bought myself a new 'proper' backpack a while ago (mentioned above- osprey 35L). And also bought a regular day pack of about 25L as I also needed one of those for my gym clothes and whatnot. I am absolutely dying to use my Osprey bag for a proper trip. I've used it locally but nothing with proper travelling involved. I was so excited as even when full I could still lift it and get on the bus. That's important...actually being able to do shit like easily use public transport and not becoming a giant walking turtle.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 am

Fairview 40L! Sorry couldn't recall. It's awesome. I bought the forest green one and it's beautiful.

My old skool macpac looks a bit sad but I still give it a nice scratch sometimes so it doesn't feel left out.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:13 am

Actually come to think of it, my Macpac (Orient Express) has travelled well. It came back from 6 weeks in Europe then went with a colleague for 6 weeks in south east Asia.

I'm glad. It cost a fortune at the time and it is still in great condition nearly 20 years later.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:18 am

fishface wrote:Actually come to think of it, my Macpac (Orient Express) has travelled well. It came back from 6 weeks in Europe then went with a colleague for 6 weeks in south east Asia.

I'm glad. It cost a fortune at the time and it is still in great condition nearly 20 years later.
i just bought this, It overpacks to 45L ish
https://www.macpac.co.nz/equipment/pack ... 14066.html
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:22 am

I saw that bag in the shop. It's a bloody nice bag. I think what I realised though is I'm never going to be doing a serious walk or anything with it so opening up like a suitcase, rather than a top loader was more practical for me. Oh and I needed the little divider pockets to put my makeup and toiletries in. I mean, compass and like serious traveller things.

I realised that 40L or so backpacks sit nicely. They don't go too high or too wide. I'm a wide enough load as it is without adding 20kg to myself.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:35 am

oh yeah, right choice, ive bought it for 2 or 3 night hikes plus double duty as carryon if lightly packed. was surprised how nuch it takes if you really try!

boy got this, really nice, light as

https://www.macpac.co.nz/equipment/pack ... 00-S2.html
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:57 am

shilgia wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:47 am
If we ever get out of here, that is. So far it’s ten minutes past scheduled departure time and the plane is not yet here. No announcement afaik. I have a one-hour layover in Kupang, which seems doomed unless the plane gets here soon, though who knows if flight #2 will be delayed, too, and I’ll be able to make it.
did you make the connection?

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 am

I did not. Thanks for asking. Stranded in Surabaya tonight. Just rebooked an onward flight to KL tomorrow morning. I had to buy a new ticket, because I got here with Lion and was going to fly onward with Air Asia. It could have been worse (it’s $80), but who should I complain to? Lion or Kiwi.com, which I’ve booked with? I think kiwi, right? It’s probably doomed, but worth an email.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:56 am

fishface wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 am
Fairview 40L! Sorry couldn't recall. It's awesome. I bought the forest green one and it's beautiful.

My old skool macpac looks a bit sad but I still give it a nice scratch sometimes so it doesn't feel left out.

It us awesome indeed! i just took delivery of my Farview 40l....its pretty damn close to perfect i think....so far.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Actually kiwi.com made it very easy to submit the claim. I’m impressed so far. They say they take up to 30 days to accept/deny, so we’ll see, but that took no more than five minutes.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:23 pm

For a cheap online consolidator, kiwi.com have been surprisingly good on customer service, in my experience.