Help me pack light

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Klara
Stew Ingredient

Re: Help me pack light

Post by Klara » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Did we know about this stage of the trip? It actually sounds a bit terrible. I would not feel comfortable at all, but I'm not exactly brave. I don't like being too far away from civilization. How long are you staying there?

How are you liking your new backpack? I received it today but I have to say I have second thoughts about it. It's quite a bit bigger than I'd imagined. I found a stain on the inside so I'm sending it back anyway, but I'm wondering if I should get something smaller. I can only travel for a week at a time - except in summer, when I'm semi naked anyway and don't need to pack much.
Maybe this one? It's 33l.
Although I might as well get a Dakine Campus. They last forever too.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Andrea, I totally glommed on to the people next door. Which isn't easy for someone like me, who's naturally somewhat shy. They'd finished eating but there was easily a whole portion of the meal left in the pan. I tried not to stare at it too much, but damn, it looked good.
Pass the wine...

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm loving my Osprey Fairview, Klara. I think it looks pretty compact, and it has enough room for expansion that I don't even think I'm going to need the extra nylon packaway bag for souvenirs etc. I think everything will fit in.
I think 33l would be pushing it for me. But you're probably better at the packing light thing.

This stage wasn't actively planned at the beginning. I left myself with three days wiggle room at the end of the trip. I used one of them to spend an extra day at my happy place, and debated whether to come to this park or back down to the lake for the other two. But it was a pretty easy choice. I've really not done enough wildlife stuff, given that I've been to Africa five times now. And I wanted to come here last year, but the timing of the post dog bite rabies jabs messed up my plans.
Pass the wine...

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Only one thing to do now, Leela...

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:53 pm

leela wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:37 pm
Andrea, I totally glommed on to the people next door.
Tsk tsk tsk. Has Lime_Pickle taught you nothing, leela? You’ve ruined it for all solo travellers now.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 am

rezuar wrote:
leela wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:37 pm
Andrea, I totally glommed on to the people next door.
Tsk tsk tsk. Has Lime_Pickle taught you nothing, leela? You’ve ruined it for all solo travellers now.
She taught me that there was such a thing! I thought I'd try it and hoped to use it to good effect. But nope. The couple are sitting there eating breakfast and drinking cups of tea, and they're not sharing. Bastards. I've had three sips of water, and will tear off hunks off my loaf and dip them into the pot of peanut butter when I get back. I don't have a knife, obv.
Pass the wine...

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 am

Can you find any large chunks of flint? Knapping your own knife should kill a few hours.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:08 am

mental note: disregard any travel advice received on the stew.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 am

Awww, I feel bad now. The couple have let me use their cameras, given me some tea bags, and now, importantly, they're giving me a lift to my next destination, thereby saving me several hours and a lot of hassle (including an hour on the back of a motorbike taxi on these dirt roads, as there won't be any pickup trucks passing through).
Luxury.
Pass the wine...

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 pm

But they won't share food. Fuckers. They will probably eat the whole time in the car and not offer you anything.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Klara, if you like the layout and look of the bag, go for it! 33L is more than you need.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks! I totally need some encouragememnt. I've almost decided to go for a 33l Dakine backpack. It's pretty and should be big enough, hopefully even if I take the big camera with me.
I can't remember the last time I was so indecisive about a purchase! It's been a week!

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am

The website tells me the Dakine is a school bag. Will it open up wide enough for packing clothes etc?

(In other words, I prefer the Osprey one that you posted - and of course you're going to Care what I think)
Last edited by leela on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:54 am

While it's fresh in your mind write a packing list based on what you used, what was a waste of space and what you really missed having.
And put it here for admiration and criticism, of course.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Here you go.

I could probably have managed with five tops, but only because I was staying in one place for eight days, (which is unusual for me) and there was reliably good drying weather. I'd stick with seven in the future though. Two vest tops for a small female don't take up much room at all.

Pass the wine...

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Hahahaha! I still don't understand the issue with the torch, though it's your experience - if you felt you needed it, you probably needed it. But how much time per day did you need it? And why again was the phone not enough for that?

Back to topic: Klara, 33L should be more than you need including big camera. (If a reference is useful, the bag I had with me that you saw was 26L. That had a bit more than I needed, so you'd have 7 more liters to play with, which is a lot.)

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:10 pm

The problem was being off grid, and not always being able to charge my phone. On a couple of occasions I had no torch because I had no charge in my phone.

Also, in a situation where I needed the torch to shine in the distance a little, rather than down by my feet (in total dark in the middle of a national park) the phone torch was weird, and just created a haze of light. It was like looking through fog, when I really needed to see if there were elephants or hippos in my path.

And it wasn't so much time per day, as really needing it for safety reasons, every night. The place I was staying is on a mountain, and my accommodation was up steep terrain from the bar/toilets/any other facilities, using very uneven steps. Again, in African black darkness.

To be fair, none of those things could reasonably have been foreseen by you and dbro. It's just fun to tease you!
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Not a bad hit rate. I’ve an led head torch that’s smaller than a blingy watch and goes for weeks on two aaa batteries.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 pm

It's OK, leela! Live and learn. If going to Africa, bring (small) torch!

BTW, on the sleeping bag liner, it's one thing I always bring and never use. But I keep bringing it, because you just never know. The one time you'll be stuck somewhere that doesn't provide sheets, you'll want it.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:17 pm

leela wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am
The website tells me the Dakine is a school bag. Will it open up wide enough for packing clothes etc?

(In other words, I prefer the Osprey one that you posted - and of course you're going to Care what I think)
The Ospreys are obviously superior backpacks, I just don't like them enough to spend so much money on them.
I know the Farpoint 40 is possibly the best backpack out there, and I want to like it enough, but sadly I don't.

The Dakine opens up enough. I've been using a simpler and smaller version of it for long weekends away and it's been totally ok. It also has a flower print, which seems to please me more than extra pockets on Ospreys. Sad but true. I wish the 33l Dakines came in flower prints, but only men's backpacks have a 33l version. Because women cannor carry big heavy things and men hate flowers.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Yep. My Fairview, despite being the women's version of the Farpoint (same capacity but the straps are set differently for smaller frames) is very ungirly. It's a greenish mud colour, and the only alternative is a darkish green.

Though I have to say that I prefer that approach to Deuter's nod to women on their smaller frame packs, which is to attach a yellow artificial flower to it.

Pass the wine...

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:48 pm

I like your Osprey!

I have a 30L Porter, good for a weekend. Thinking of bringing it as a carryon for our next Vacation, in case we do a side trip to somewhere like Siem Reap and just need overnight luggage. It's also my Catalina Island camping weekend personal bag. I bought this after the Seattle pissup, where I wished I'd had it. (I had to wander around Seattle for a few hours with all my bags - a shoulder strap carryon and a small backpack) before I could stash them at my friend's house.)
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:07 pm

I seriously love it, Pez. I only wish I could use it for all my big trips. But if I was going to be facing changes of climate/weather, or wasn't able to wash and dry stuff every few days (or I needed to bring extra stuff back), I'd struggle with the capacity. I'm not a natural at travelling light. Shilgia's 27 litres fora three-month trip, is seriously impressive.
Pass the wine...

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:06 pm

I did well packing for Iceland. I was able to bring the big camera and hiking boots. This time, I did not do so well. Too many pants, plus a couple of pairs of casual shoes when one would do.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm going to Congo hand luggage only.
For one whole day, or three days including travel.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 pm
I'm going to Congo hand luggage only.
For one whole day, or three days including travel.
Well done GLimpet!
*applauds*
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm

I'm so brave!

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 pm

You really should put your packing list up for us to check/criticise.
Pass the wine...

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:35 am

I bet he's not even taking a torch.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:59 pm

I think I've found my backpack. Image
Eastpak, 35l, about the same price as the Osprey. :shock:

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Looks pretty nice, Klara.

Speaking of backpacks - longshot here. Anyone have any good tips on how to treat the zippers when they start getting kind of stuck from oxidization? Mine have a sort of greenish rust forming and sometimes don't zip well. I assume from lots of beach/salty trips.

I doused them in rubbing alcohol once when they got completely stuck and it helped some, but wasn't perfect.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:36 pm

There are specialized "zipper lubricants," but I think you could also just use a regular lubricant like paraffin oil or graphite. (Let me add that I've never tried any of this with zippers myself.)

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Also, Klara, that bag looks good! What does the back look like, though? I always find that one of the most important things, even more important than how convenient it is to pack/unpack - how does it sit against your back. Will it breathe? I always go for backpacks that have mesh or are curved or have some other technology that makes it less sweaty and uncomfortable.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

EMG wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm
Looks pretty nice, Klara.

Speaking of backpacks - longshot here. Anyone have any good tips on how to treat the zippers when they start getting kind of stuck from oxidization? Mine have a sort of greenish rust forming and sometimes don't zip well. I assume from lots of beach/salty trips.

I doused them in rubbing alcohol once when they got completely stuck and it helped some, but wasn't perfect.
The old fashioned way was to run a soft pencil up and down the closed zip.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Graphite eh? Not something I would've ever thought of on my own. Might try that. A few of the zippers are still not very smooth.

I assumed oil or something would've been the trick but didn't want to get my bag all oily.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:55 pm

What model is that backpack, Klara? I can't find it on their website, because their search filter is useless.
Pass the wine...

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Shilgia, the back is just a regular daypack back, I think. I stopped caring about the back after I'd hiked with my lovely yet very primitive Dakine daypack a few times. It was totally ok. I'll use this one for my hikes while travelling too.

Leela, it's the Volker.
It looks too big when it's totally full, but otherwise it looks very nice.
Like this, for example: Image
But mine is burgundy.

I even found the burgundy one at a reduced price, which seemed impossible this morning. I had to make a bank tranfer to get the best price, but I only paid €80, so it was worth it.
I hope I like it. I don't want to look at another backpack for several years now.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Does it have waist straps? I thought it did on one of the photos, but on that one it appears it doesn't.
Pass the wine...

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Oh I doubt it. You probably saw the sternum straps.
I won't be carrying it very far when it's totally full so I doubt I'll miss the waist straps.

This is what bothered me a lot with the Osprey, actually. The straps are so bulky. Great if you need them, but a lot less so if you don't.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:36 pm

You can tuck the waist straps away on mine, if you just want to use the shoulder ones.

But yep, yours doesn't have so much capacity, so you're unlikely to need them, even if its full. And it's a nicer colour than my mud bag
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

6.8kg

Post by GLimpet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 pm

The laptop backpack goes inside the 50cm x 40cm x 20cm wheelie case.

Business shirt and change of undies/socks x2 in the lid.

Spare T-shirt and business trousers in the case.

Toothbrush, toothpaste, razor and gel to be added in the morning.

Total weight 6.8kg (allowance in Economy 12kg)

Note Yellow Fever cert on passport.
However I'm 50/50 on whether they'll shake me down on arrival - it says "Australian" on my cert but I'm travelling on UK passport because visa.
Somebody will decide "c'est un problème", just because they can.
No point taking my Aus passport, that will just complicate things, especially if I try to explain.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 pm

Umbrella because rainy time of year.

Must remember mozzie spray or stick at airport Boots.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Cool, GLimps. But your case must be quite heavy for that to weight more than my two weeks' worth of packing.

You get an extra point for having a genuine Yellow Fever certificate though. I still take my forged one with me.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:56 pm

The case - sadly, discontinued - is a Samsonite "Short-Lite 50" from John Lewis.
Wt 1.4 kg.

Most of the weight - some 3+ kg - is in my backpack with laptop, power cable and adaptors.

Not that it matters much because I'm not carrying it on my feckin back.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:36 pm

That bit of paper from Congo is pretty cool.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 pm

leela wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:36 pm
That bit of paper from Congo is pretty cool.
It's a PITA. Every 3 or 4 months. It's just a letter of invitation for a visa, don't think it's changed since I first went to Congo in 1996 or 7.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 pm

FFFFFS!

Airline just WhatsApped me to say ETD is delayed by 1h30m which means there is every chance I'll miss my connecting flight in CDG to Congo, which means I either miss my meeting in PNR that I'm sweating over or it gets delayed by a day which throws my Russia trip out by a day, if I can even get seats.

And I'd miss my mate's funeral on Friday.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 pm

Ah...that sounds grim. Is there any other airline you can switch to for that first leg?
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:14 pm

Victor Meldrew moment:

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:27 am

enjoy the ET 777-300ER. this bird still has the old school 3-3-3 config in econ. most airlines (yuck) are moving to an excruciating 3-4-3 on the 777 birds.