Help me pack light

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Re: Help me pack light

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:39 pm

I packed well, and managed to bring the DSLR and some dry foodstuffs and a box of wine and a couple of beers.

Then I got to duty free, and I guess I was tired and out of it after traveling for 10+ hours, and dropped my wallet somewhere. No sign of it. Have spent a huge chunk of time trying to hunt it down (ATM card, 2 major CCs, my blood donation card, AAA, airline cards, $70.

I just picked up some cash that AMEX wired me. Now I will eat something other than ramen and granola bars.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 pm

Also, leela, that look exceptionally well-organized, so I trust you will also lose something major and travel-disruptive.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:01 pm

I lost my purse/wallet, or had it stolen between the airport ATM and our overnight hotel, during our (late night) layover on the way to Panama. I always keep my debit and credit cards separate on big trips, but hadn't got round to doing it yet. Had I been travelling alone it would have been a nightmare.

I think you're much more at risk at airports than anywhere. Tired, looking elsewhere for info etc, wondering where to go...
You have my sympathy. It's horrible.

I'm very much hoping that this time I don't lose anything.
Pass the wine...

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 am

This thread has made me realise I’ve turned into an ultimate tourist.

Beautifully organised packing here, leela!
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:17 am

Ha! This is nothing like my usual packing, rez! I normally take way too much, in a very disorganised fashion, in a bag more than half as big again.

Of course I'm now realising that there's more to add. A hairbrush for starters.
Pass the wine...

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:38 am

leela wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:17 am
Ha! This is nothing like my usual packing, rez! I normally take way too much, in a very disorganised fashion, in a bag more than half as big again.

Of course I'm now realising that there's more to add. A hairbrush for starters.
Can you go with a comb? Or a foldable brush?
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:29 am

I'm talking a small barrel brush. I can't blow dry my hair, but at least I can use the brush to try to get my bob into some sort of shape. Combs don't get through my straw hair very well! It'll be my one luxury item.
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 am

Confirmation bias aside.
One of my oldest friends is flying to Malawi on Saturday (via Addis) to teach. She hopes to stay for a couple of years. I may visit for Christmas.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am

Cool, DCC. Where will she be working? PM if you prefer, obv.
Pass the wine...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:05 pm

I'll ask.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Glad you can get those coffee spoons smuggled back. Yup, I noticed you added that puzzle book. That WAS NOT on your original list. What a tourist.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:02 pm
Glad you can get those coffee spoons smuggled back. Yup, I noticed you added that puzzle book. That WAS NOT on your original list. What a tourist.
What an old person, you mean. Those puzzle books are very popular with people older than I feel, sadly. I did wonder about leaving it out of the photo, but thought better of it. I should be prepared to take the slings and arrows.
Pass the wine...

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:36 pm

I don't think I should call you old as I think we are pretty close in age.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:12 pm

I just finished my packing. 6kg. This includes packing a small day pack in the luggage. I'm trying packing cubes but frankly I'm very organized packer and have no problem laying my hands on anything in my bag. Undies sox? Top upper left side, tops, lower left side etc. I'm taking my big camera this time. I took a small camera in the Mideast that was inconspicuous under my shawl if I wanted a pic I just lifted shawl pointed and click. Very under cover :) !
My partner on the other hand is a very disorganized packer, light but oy! If he wants something he just stirs the contents around til it floats to the top. >shakes head<

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Sorry to hear about your wallet it happens. I had an adventure racing thru the streets of Ankara after leaving my day pack in a taxi. 1am in a strange city in a foreign country. I got it back tho!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:23 pm

micvan wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:17 pm
Sorry to hear about your wallet it happens. I had an adventure racing thru the streets of Ankara after leaving my day pack in a taxi. 1am in a strange city in a foreign country. I got it back tho!
Thanks. Airport security/lost and found has it. Took them two days to find it or tell me (I was bugging everyone I could.) Anyway, I had money wired to me. Will pick up wallet on my way out. I would go pick it up but a cab costs $300 one way, slow airport bus $65 return (about 1 hour each way).

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Well that's some consolation ie it is found. Hope all the contents are intact but I suppose you already cancelled your cc. At least get some of your other stuff back.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:01 am

I'm late to this but Leela that packing is incredibly tidy.

I thought I was super organized with my neatly rolled clothing stuffed into my bag and using separate parts of the front pocket for toiletries and electronics.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:33 am

EMG wrote:I'm late to this but Leela that packing is incredibly tidy. .
That's down to packing cubes! Everything's contained and tidy, instead of flapping around or disappearing down the cracks of your backpack.

Pass the wine...

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Things fall apart, it's scientific.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:03 pm

micvan wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:12 pm
My partner on the other hand is a very disorganized packer, light but oy! If he wants something he just stirs the contents around til it floats to the top. >shakes head<
:lol: :lol:
I start out like you micvan, then by the end of the trip I'm more like your partner.

I always say that I'll try packing cubes for my next trip, then I never actually do it.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 pm

I use cheap large ziplock plastic bags rather than investing in cubes. Used to work really well with the kids- one days of clothes per bag- grab and go. I still use them for me- all underwear in one, shirts in another, etc etc. I was too cheap to make an investment in something I wasn’t sure I’d like. Take out the air and things get very compact.

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Post by truenic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm a beilever in ziplocs as well. Stuff 'em, sit on them to get all the air out, and it's like I've vacuum-sealed them.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Well I'm packed, and I seem to have loads of room left in my bag. And it only weighs 5kg. This is weird. I'm going to spend the entire journey thinking I must have missed something large and vital. The thin cotton cardi is definitely going in. Maybe a book, too.
Pass the wine...

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Just as well I'm well within weight. Paddox has just reported from my exact flight, but one day before*, that Ethiopian Airlines do indeed weigh every cabin bag (including handbags/purses) at the gate. Even at Heathrow.

* we really should have co-ordinated. Mile high pissup chance missed!
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:21 am

Sounds like they're cutting it fine with fuel load.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:31 am

The odd thing is, that you're allowed 46kg of hold luggage with them. The most generous allocation I've come across.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am

BA allowance is usually 23kg and many fares allow two bags.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:44 am

Not the cheapo fares I've ever had! But then I'm a budget backpacker, me.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 am

I dunno about East Africa, but flights to West Africa usually saw attempts to bring half the kitchenware/houseware markets of Paris , Amsterdam and Brussels on as hand luggage. And in the other direction, boxes of nuts, pulses, gourds etc from the street markets of Kinshasa and Port Gentil.

I have mentioned before the guy trying to get an ironing board in the overhead locker on the Brussels-Kinshasa flight.

So maybe "generous on hold luggage but tight on cabin luggage" is the way to go.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:25 am

Ha! I know what you mean. The ironing board story is brilliant though.
Pass the wine...

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Success! The taxi driver who brought me into town from the airport looked at me and said "but why you have such a small bag? It's not worth opening the boot for"
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:12 am

A very twattish airport taxi driver at ABZ few weeks ago wouldn't let me take my small laptop backpack into the front seat because Health and Safety , "unsecured object" , "could go anywhere in a collision" etc.

I mean my wife's handbag is bigger and I doubt he'd be telling her to put it in the boot.

So 5***** for your driver.

Anyway, when we arrived home I made him wait while I got it out of the boot and retrieved my keys (why I wanted it on hand) then didn't tip my usual "round plus a pound"

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 am

I'm totally sold on this traveling light business. At least for trips like this, where the weather is predictable and unchanging, and I'm in one place long enough to handwash and dry my clothes. My casual capsule wardrobe is working well. When I unpack I'm going to make a photographic record of what I've brought, to make it simple next time.

So thanks everyone.
Pass the wine...

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:56 am

Agree! I haven't checked a bag in 6 years and I love it.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:46 pm

But...the person who told me I didn't need a torch (and I'm not scrolling back to find a name to name) was Wrong. I'm off the grid here, and keeping my phone charged is difficult. And it's very very dark here at night, and I'm on rough and unevenly stepped terrain.

Whoever you are, you're getting the blame for my badly bruised little toe.
Pass the wine...

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Sure as heck was not me.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Okay. I looked back. Shilgia and dbro are to blame!

Oh, and did I confirm that Ethiopian weigh cabin baggage? Because they did. At Heathrow they had a scale as we entered the gate. Everyone had to put their bags on it, while three (three!) airline employees stared seriousy at the readout. I was at 6.2kg.
Pass the wine...

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Oops, I think that was me. I'm sorry about your toe!

But glad you've joined the packing-light brigade.

I just got back from a three-month trip with a small backpack. I have to say I was impressed with my past self for leaving my apartment in pretty good shape - I came home to a pretty pleasant place. BUT with one exception. Earlier this year I went through a bit of a decluttering/organizing phase, and one part of that - the bathroom - is not yet done. That part now bothers me A LOT. After three months of living with a limited set of things, it's incredibly irritating to have this heap of things I don't really need or use cluttering up the small space. I'm pretty motivated to throw it all out now in the next few days.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm

(Sorry, I wrote that before you posted your post, then got a bounceback when I hit post.)

6.2 kg is excellent!

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Yep 6.2 is excellent. I usually end up with just over 7 and smile at the airline people apologetically.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Leela, I'm getting my Farpoint 40 tomorrow! The red one. Great minds etc etc.
I also like the cubes. I only have fabric packing bags, but I like them. Might consider getting a couple of cubes at some point.

I was very impressed with Shiglia's packing skills, by the way. I've ordered a 40l backpack because I almost never travel in hot weather so I need a little more space. Also, there's my kid.

I plan on selling most of the other luggage.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Klara wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:14 pm
I want that bag! I want it in grey, it looks perfect.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 pm

leela wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 pm
Okay. I looked back. Shilgia and dbro are to blame!

Oh, and did I confirm that Ethiopian weigh cabin baggage? Because they did. At Heathrow they had a scale as we entered the gate. Everyone had to put their bags on it, while three (three!) airline employees stared seriousy at the readout. I was at 6.2kg.
My laptop backpack with charger and stuff is about 4kg already.

Anyway will go hand luggage only to Congo next week, just fly down all day on the Wednesday, hotel stay, meeting on Thursday, back overnight, home Friday afternoon after several hours in CDG.

Looks like I've finally got an original Yellow Fever cert so might even escape the border shakedown.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:36 am

Travelers' med office amended mine to indicate that I got the YF vaccine that's for life.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:45 am

lolasf wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 pm
Klara wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:14 pm
I want that bag! I want it in grey, it looks perfect.
I almost ordered the grey one too, thinking (as always) that I'll eventually start liking more neutral colours as I get older, but the fact is I am older now and I still like red things and things with stripes and flower prints. I really shouldn't expect my taste to mature anymore.

But yes, the bag looks great. I like how neat it looks. I usually travel in everyday clothes, so I don't like my luggage to look too sporty with hundreds of straps and whatnot.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:54 am

Klara wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:45 am
But yes, the bag looks great. I like how neat it looks. I usually travel in everyday clothes, so I don't like my luggage to look too sporty with hundreds of straps and whatnot.
I like that it seems to fit carry on pretty much everywhere, not just the US.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Packing light hasn't worked well for this stage of the trip. I'm in a chalet by a waterhole in a national park. Miles from anywhere, no staff, and the only other people here are a German couple in one of the other chalets.

I have no source of light. I usually bring along an LED push light, but it didn't make the packing light cut. It's basically camping in a hut, and I'm woefully unprepared. All I had time to buy before my pick up truck transport set off, was a loaf, a jar of peanut butter, a packet of biscuits and three bottles of water. For three meals.

I just had to walk fifty yards back to my chalet in the black dark (it's a new moon) knowing there are elephants and hippos around, with only my mobile phone torch, which just made everything look foggy black (thanks shilgia!)

The German couple have a land rover with everything they need for six months driving and camping in Africa. They offered me sparkling wine in a metal insulated cup. What I really wanted was their hot dinner and a lantern.
Pass the wine...

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Where's your inner Bear Grylls!? Make a torch out of a stick! BBQ some grubs!

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Or your - invite yourself to the hot dinner next door - skills? Anyway, you really need to be more resourceful. Or pack more.