The best Peking Duck in the NYC area

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
section8
the Secret Sauce

The best Peking Duck in the NYC area

Post by section8 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:36 pm

I have to go to New York, and I love Peking duck but cannot get it here unless I make it, and it's never as good as I want it to be. So, I'm going to use this opportunity to chase some duck down.

Does anybody have proposals for who serves the best Peking duck in New York City?
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Re: The best Peking Duck in the NYC area

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Peking Duck House on Mott Street never disappoints. Shun Lee Palace -where a million films were shot- also has fine duck. Or just get one out of the window on Canal Street.

NY Mag did a big article on this last year. There's a $90 duck in midtown that's probably not worth it.

Looking at that list, Hakkasan is the flat out best chinese food I ever ate, so maybe there.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 pm

I broadly agree with this guy's rankings, having been to five of the places:

https://www.gq.com/story/best-peking-duck-nyc

Decoy looks like the current critics fave.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:19 pm

And my wife's grandmother lives on Mott Street. (I know how helpful this is to the question).
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm guessing more on the italian american side of Mott Street. Little ltaly is fighting for it's life against the yellow horde.

I looked at Decoy. I'm not convinced their raves aren't down to press agency. It looks like Peking Duck is like Johnny Walker, as you go up in price, you get less incremental improvement.

So while Peking Duck House is cheaper, the little accoutrements will be less nice than Shun Lee Palace, which will be less great than Hakkasan.

I notice not much diff between Peking Duck House and Shun Lee. $88 for a duck at Hakassan is crazy money, but if any place would justify it, it's them. I do notice a letter grade diff between a duck hanging in the window and Peking Duck House.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm

After googling I found this question is common filler for NYC media, but it's good to have some first hand reports.

I think I may try a hanging duck, then something like Peking Duck House or Shun Lee, then go for the $88 dollar duck to experience the continuum.

I started making steamed buns instead of pancakes when I make it at home.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm guessing more on the italian american side of Mott Street. Little ltaly is fighting for it's life against the yellow horde.
BR, Stan's wife, her parents, and her grandparents are (or in some cases perhaps were) members of what you call the yellow horde. His daughter too, depending on your definition. Maybe even his granddaughter.

The mention of Mott Street demands a musical interlude:

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Peking Duck is not hard to make, it's just messy and timeconsuming hanging the duck and letting a fan gently blow the fat away.

Any place that serves a lot of Peking Duck will turn out a pretty good Peking Duck. Any place that doesn't, like a Thai place that offers duck curry, but no other duck dishes, probably won't.

So beyond sheer volume of ducks served, it's down to the quality of the duck, with the hanging window one being the lowest and Hakkasan being the highest. I don't see much diff. in skin crispness between the price points. Crispness is more down to the blow dry process than the duck. You def. get more meat on the duck, the more you pay.

So do two window ducks equal or surpass one $88 duck? I say you get a lot more meat with the 2 duck plan and it's not that much less good.

In Vientiane, a big, very organic Peking Duck is $8. Not that meaty, tho.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

section8 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm
I think I may try a hanging duck, then something like Peking Duck House or Shun Lee, then go for the $88 dollar duck to experience the continuum.
Oh, a vertical duck tasting? I'm jelly.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:18 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm

I looked at Decoy. I'm not convinced their raves aren't down to press agency. It looks like Peking Duck is like Johnny Walker, as you go up in price, you get less incremental improvement.

So while Peking Duck House is cheaper, the little accoutrements will be less nice than Shun Lee Palace, which will be less great than Hakkasan.

I notice not much diff between Peking Duck House and Shun Lee. $88 for a duck at Hakassan is crazy money, but if any place would justify it, it's them. I do notice a letter grade diff between a duck hanging in the window and Peking Duck House.
No, the Chinese American side of the Mott. Although from what I gather probably a lot of my mother-in-laws friends were from the Italian American side.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:24 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:23 pm
BR, Stan's wife, her parents, and her grandparents are (or in some cases perhaps were) members of what you call the yellow horde. His daughter too, depending on your definition. Maybe even his granddaughter.

The mention of Mott Street demands a musical interlude:

and my son-in-law is Asian also, although we tell him "not real Asian. I am the downtrodden minority in the family.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Tourist.
I am Stalking you.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Stricter.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 am

I just ate some duck from the window in Chinatown. It was delicious, but not Peking duck. I would go to the Peking Duck House.

The best I ever had was in Hong Kong. The Peking duck in Peking was good, but not as good.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!