Camping equipment

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Camping equipment

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:30 pm

It's a slippery slope--go too far and you'll need a trailer to haul it all. At a festival last weekend, I was eyeing those camping showers (which can double as a privacy area for a portable toilet). Anyone have or use one of those, or the toilets? What camping gear do you feel is essential?

https://www.rei.com/product/662980/clea ... oilet-seat

https://www.rei.com/c/shower-tents?r=c& ... nts&page=1

lolasf
Former showgirl

Re: Camping equipment

Post by lolasf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:41 pm

A portable toilet and shower is definitely a step too far for me. I can see how it would be handy in some situations though.

Tent, sleeping bag, ginourmous fucking air mattress, fake grass 'front porch', chairs, tiny led lanterns, cooler, mess kit & cups. That's all I pack, and it's in a handy stack in my garage. It takes me about 5 minutes to get my car packed and ready to go.

Have you seen the 'mini RVs' by Jucy? I spotted them first at a music fest, they seem kinda cool.
https://www.jucyusa.com/
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:45 pm

I saw one at Joshua Tree NP--looked like the first photo on the website.

I drove an Escape campervan from Phoenix to LA and hated it--it was basically a converted moving van. Really sucky to drive.

I drove a Lost Campers one to Strawberry about 5 years ago. That was OK--just didn't like the drive up/down that winding road to Mather.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:48 pm

I have a Ticla tent (company iz not exzist) that looks like a Japanese tea house. You can leave it open on the top--which I did once and it started pouring in the middle of the night.

Sleeping bag
Own real pillow (mandatory)
New camping pad (2.5 inches I think)
Tarp
Lanterns including light to hang inside
portable, light REI chair (not v stable)
ENO hammock system*

*At Floydfest, a lot of camping is on a steep hill, so many people just set up hammocks.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:48 pm
Oh yes, definitely. I am getting Old and these things now Matter more than they used to.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Did you see that frequent flyer movie with George Clooney? He throws her pillow away!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:23 pm

I've been in a lot of Airbnbs this past year, and I do not understand when people are cheap about bedding. No mattress cover? Ew. Old stained pillows? Double ew.

You can get a decent pillow at Target for $3. I add a good $10 hypoallergenic pillow protector.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:48 pm
I have a Ticla tent (company iz not exzist) that looks like a Japanese tea house. You can leave it open on the top--which I did once and it started pouring in the middle of the night.

Sleeping bag
New camping pad (2.5 inches I think)
Tarp
Lanterns including light to hang inside
portable, light REI chair (not v stable)
ENO hammock system*

*At Floydfest, a lot of camping is on a steep hill, so many people just set up hammocks.
You need a stove to really camp.

The whisperlite system w/nestled pots is best, because it is lightest. Mine is 30 years old and still chugging.

Lanterns are great for car camping. Headlights (on your head) are best for camping. You can read in bed without holding a flashlight under your chin.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Are we talking about car camping or backpacking here? Because the two are about as different as downhill skiing and cross country skiing, sailing or motorboating, etc. Assuming we're talking car camping, I'll throw my 2 cents in. My nomination is a good inflatable air mattress. You'll appreciate it every night that you 'camp'. If you don't, then you aren't camping. For instance, a kick ass tent, sure, but in quite a lot of instances, any old tent will do. If there's a hurricane, or 3 feet of snow, well then, don't camp. Go get a hotel room or sleep in the car. Kick ass sleeping bag? A workaround, at least in the beginning, is a big pile of blankets. If it's 40 below zero, go get a hotel room or sleep in the car.

But the inflatable air mattress? You'll appreciate it. Anyone who doesn't agree hasn't used one on a camping trip. Is there a tree root under your tent? You don't give a flying fuck, your air mattress will take care of that. Are there two inches of water in your tent? Who cares, just make sure your shoes are on that mattress with you.

The only other thing that can remotely compete, IMNSHO, is some device to put coffee in your gut immediately after waking up. I haven't yet got that one sorted. Though on some camping trips we've brought the electric coffee pot. Haven't yet gotten around to bringing the microwave oven, but it's under serious consideration. The only thing holding us back is perhaps the extension cord. This electric crap needs a long cord sometimes.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks for that, BB.

Yes anymore I see people with the giant mountain of air inside the tent. They have to climb up to get in bed.

You need an Aeropress! Heat water on the stove, eh voila.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:53 pm

I'd add a stove to lolasf's list. I can't decide if I'm ready to make the switch from white gas to propane.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:59 pm

Yes, thanks, LS, for the stove/cooking equipment tip.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:14 pm

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 pm

I have never car camped except as an provisional alternative to a hotel. Not something I have ever set out to do. I only wish there were a proper magical mattress that was reasonable to carry hiking. I'm not hiking with a 20 lb. mattress+pump. And I'm definitely not hiking with a shower.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:34 am

Tent. Butane stove, though I've done with wood fires before. Pillows. Sometimes I'll take a foam sleeping mat, but they're bulky, so not always. Lamp or flashlight. Cooking equipment and food. That's about all I stick with.

No need for sheets or sleeping bags around these parts. Too hot.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:27 am

Funny, I'd forgotten the camp stove thing. The majority of the camping I've done over the last few years has been at music festivals, where you frequently can't or don't want to cook. At my annual friend camping trip, food is provided by everyone else (I provide all the beer).

I've been thinking of buying a basic Coleman stove, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Boinkity_Boink wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:47 pm

But the inflatable air mattress? You'll appreciate it. Anyone who doesn't agree hasn't used one on a camping trip. Is there a tree root under your tent? You don't give a flying fuck, your air mattress will take care of that. Are there two inches of water in your tent? Who cares, just make sure your shoes are on that mattress with you.
I so agree. I love my double tall air mattress.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:01 pm

If we’re car camping in burn ban areas I’ll bring my big propane firepit.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Jetboils are great if you just want to be able to boil water and don’t want to pack much.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:15 pm

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:51 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:01 pm
If we’re car camping in burn ban areas I’ll bring my big propane firepit.
I've got to check that out.

If I'm camping by myself I seldom bother with a fire. Unless I'm camping by water putting a campfire completely out is a hassle. Abandoned campfires start a lot of wildfires.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:05 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever camped by myself. When backpack camping we usually don’t make a fire.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Last time we went camping, we went by train&scooter, so I packed rather minimalistically. We only had one sweater, and my kid and I took turns wearing it in the morning. We had thermarests, sleeping bags, a tent, and a lamp thingy.
No pillows, no cooking equipment.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Outdoor kit!

I tend to go for minimalistic but high quality stuff = durable and lightweight, since I need to carry all my shit when I camp, and I camp quite often to make it worthwhile investing in good stuff.

I don't understand the shower thing though, isn't it much easy to wear your bikini or swim trunk if there are strangers around and then use this? It is a 10 litre (light weight) water bag double as a shower.

Last edited by desertstorm on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:35 pm

mishmish wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 pm
I have never car camped except as an provisional alternative to a hotel. Not something I have ever set out to do. I only wish there were a proper magical mattress that was reasonable to carry hiking. I'm not hiking with a 20 lb. mattress+pump. And I'm definitely not hiking with a shower.
Since a couple of years, Thermarest and a few brands start making serious lightweight air mattress weighting 450 gram/15 oz and withstand cold cold ground in serious winter condition.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... eeping-pad

And this is my stove, can use all kinds of fuel and weights 220g, the only drawback is that it is Very Loud when in use.

Last edited by desertstorm on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Sleeping bag and tent.
If there are people around all the other stuff is laid on. If there are not it’s unnecessary.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:10 am

desertstorm wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:35 pm
And this is my stove, can use all kinds of fuel and weights 220g, the only drawback is that it is Very Loud when in use.

I've got one of those too, but it's pretty old. It's one of those joint possession things I left at ex's house but reserved the right to use them at any time. I remember it being very expensive. Like a 100 somethings but I don't know which currency we were using at the time, or which country we bought it in. It served us very well on many many trips.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:20 am

Im taking the boy on the Tongariro Circuit in Dec so cute timing for this thread

https://www.doc.govt.nz/tongarironortherncircuit
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:47 pm

desertstorm wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm
Outdoor kit!

I tend to go for minimalistic but high quality stuff = durable and lightweight, since I need to carry all my shit when I camp, and I camp quite often to make it worthwhile investing in good stuff.

I don't understand the shower thing though, isn't it much easy to wear your bikini or swim trunk if there are strangers around and then use this? It is a 10 litre (light weight) water bag double as a shower.

I think that people use the "shower" tent in conjunction with a camping potty for privacy.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Yeah, but taking the whole shower tent for camping privacy or wearing my swimming trunk, I know what I will do.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:23 pm

A good point.