Thailand short(ish) trip including beach

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Re: Thailand short(ish) trip including beach

Post by pezworld » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:13 am

Well this board should give you lots of ideas. There are some seriously well traveled folks who go to the ends of the earth for bragging rights. (I'm exaggerating, I think.) The average age is creeping up, though - so our travel budgets are generally higher than they used to be.

Phuket won't really be Thailand. But it'll be a relaxing vacation.

If you do start posting elsewhere on this board, don't mind if people start calling you Dave or accuse you of being a troll handle. It comes with the territory, and we haven't gotten a lot of new blood lately. We do seem to sustain some activity on the regulars and have for years.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:08 pm

So we shouldn't haze the new person yet?

I'll be interested in hearing how you get on in Thailand too. For whatever reason I've only been there once in the last 6 years, even though it's just a 3 hour flight for me to BKK. That might be my next motorbike tour destination.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:31 pm

They have a Mexican restaurant within short walking distance of our villa-in-the-hills. Mexican.

I've progressed from traveler to tourist to vacationer!

Be nice to the newbie, if he ever returns, for a day or two at least!
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Andrea1 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:21 am
pezworld wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:38 pm
But I love elephants! Are they mistreated?
There must be an elephant friendly company in Thailand, maybe one that is rehabilitating them. I don't know who they are but shouldn't be so hard to find one.
Wow. I was going to mention Salang Bunnag, a member of the prominent Bunnag family, advisors to the Thai kings for four centuries, who had an elephant rehab center and also played a key role in the Thammasat U. student massacre of 1976 and the extrajudicial killing of six drug dealing suspects in 1996.

A photo from the Thammasat incident was used as the cover of the Dead Kennedys' single Holiday in Cambodia. This website has the Dead Kennedys photo, and the photo below that shows Salang in action outside the Thammasat fence.

https://steemit.com/history/@bigsambucc ... ling-image

Turns out he dropped seven stories to his death inside a Thai shopping mall in February, a suicide.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Wow...

Turns out elephant rides are way out of favor and elephant rehab/retirement places are replacing them. There are a few on Phuket. They do seem like a naked grab for tourist bucks, and I don't know whether the elephants themselves are treated right (how would I know?)...

Any thoughts? Because I love elephants, and Top Kid seemed receptive to an elephant wash, even if his dad is very cool on the idea.

https://elephantretirementparkphuket.com/

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:13 am

I stayed with Manch for 3 days on Ko Samet... He was still a fun drunk and I wasn't bitter and angry about my life yet. It was an easy trip from the 'kok but was really busy... okay beaches but too many fat fuck Russians.
"Good morning, Stewpot…. The world is your day!"

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:15 am

There is a remote beach on the east shore of Ko Phangan that I liked a lot... I believe Fletcher was there too.
"Good morning, Stewpot…. The world is your day!"

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:05 am

Now we're locked down to Phuket, plus maybe anyplace not far from there for a day trip or something.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:17 am

islandboi wrote:I stayed with Manch for 3 days on Ko Samet... He was still a fun drunk and I wasn't bitter and angry about my life yet. It was an easy trip from the 'kok but was really busy... okay beaches but too many fat fuck Russians.
phuket is full of Russians as well
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 pm

pezworld wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:05 am
Now we're locked down to Phuket, plus maybe anyplace not far from there for a day trip or something.
What a pathetic and unadventurous group. You going to endure over 24 hours on a plane just to sit on a tourist infested beach?
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:54 pm

harry_flashman wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 pm
pezworld wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:05 am
What a pathetic and unadventurous group. You going to endure over 24 hours on a plane just to sit on a tourist infested beach?
Not really my idea. Sister's turning 70. She wants to see where her son's been living all this time (Bangkok) and have her family around her for the birthday celebration. I think they're going to hit Vietnam as part of their trip. We don't really have the time if we're also visiting Melbourne for Christmas. I'd love to go back to Vietnam. But, maybe we could fly someplace interesting for a day or two from Phuket.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:44 am

And your post got me thinking, maybe I should take the family to Siem Reap for our side trip. They have nonstops from Phuket. 1.5 hours. I've been but they haven't. Hmmm.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:14 am

simon_in_exile wrote:Just to be an arse and correct the typo, Krabi (and Railay beach) are not south of Phuket - they’re pretty-much due east of Phuket.
Yep nowhere near really.

Railay was fantastic, better than any other place we saw. There are no roads there so nowhere near as busy as other places. There’s sunset beach and a bone white beach and good rests and bars. Loved it.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:27 am

I slept on Railay beach, next to a bonfire, music, pineapple and beer, 30 years ago. Everywhere was full. It was an amazing place. Have been back a couple of times, since then, still beautiful, and, though obviously a lot more building, it was aesthetically ok, and limited, controlled.

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:33 am

pezworld wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:44 am
And your post got me thinking, maybe I should take the family to Siem Reap for our side trip. They have nonstops from Phuket. 1.5 hours. I've been but they haven't. Hmmm.
Each to their own but the bits of Thailand I like best are those bits unaccustomed to tourism. I don't think I have ever visited a Thai town that I didn't like.
Hello Flashman

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Def. google image Angkor Wat Crowds to see how things have changed.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:07 pm

harry_flashman wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:33 am
pezworld wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:44 am
Each to their own but the bits of Thailand I like best are those bits unaccustomed to tourism. I don't think I have ever visited a Thai town that I didn't like.
Any suggestions for a getaway from Phuket that's not so touristy?

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:09 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:34 pm
Def. google image Angkor Wat Crowds to see how things have changed.
Yeah, that's a concern. We'll be there at the peak. All I had to do is do a Booking.com search to see how many hotels they now have. I always thought Siem Reap was smallish. (The place we stayed in in 2003 was recommended by our Phnom Penh hotel as its sister hotel, but it was a dump.)

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Last there in '15. Very Khao San Road. They have $10 craft cocktails now.

Look at Sukothai, maybe. Nice spa's, no crowds, beautiful ruins, some good day out options to old sites where you won't see another soul. Since it's a pilgrimage site, you can get a nice Buddha statue on the semi-cheap.

Or Penang. Don't nobody don't love Penang.

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Firefly have direct flights to Phuket from Penang.

I have to own up and say I have never been to Phuket. Anker wat is still great value even if they have recently put the prices up. Being off the beaten track is obviously not everybodies cup of namcha.
Hello Flashman

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:14 am

Angkor Wat is off the beaten path, according to the adventurous world weary travel guru that is Hairy. What a fucking gimp.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.
VD wrote:Why are you saying Zzzzzz instead of Zzzzz?

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:22 am

Where did I suggest that anker wat is off the beaten track leg humper.
Hello Flashman

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:23 am

AW is very crowded but AMAZING and worth it. And Cambodia is so cheap.

Siem Reap is a bit shit, crowded with the aforementioned tourists and 7,000 tuk-tuks.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:02 am

I was happy to see AW like 6 years ago, despite the large crowds in certain areas. Totally worth it to me. Siem Reap isn't a town I'd stay in though, but they do have big luxury resorts for relatively cheap in the area, if you were wanting to sit by a pool and eat tropical fruit most of the time. An overnight and early morning trip to AW was enough for me there.

I do think I'd like to see more of Cambodia though. Another cool destination for motorbiking.

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 am

not really travel related but the Thai wanks are now charging upwards of 200 bht for an ATM transaction. Thats 6+ dollars in addition to your usual wank fees. Unless you want to be lining the pockets of those parasites than be careful about drawing out small amounts. I know that Schwab don't pass the charges on but I am not sure about other wanks.
Hello Flashman

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 am

Moethebartender wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:14 am
Angkor Wat is off the beaten path, according to the adventurous world weary travel guru that is Hairy. What a fucking gimp.
Harry spends more time on the road in one year than you have in your entire life Moe,you miserable piece of shit.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:20 am

Practical advice from Harry on taking out large amounts because of ripoff bank fees.
And the autocorrecting of “bank” is amusing - an insightful glimpse at a user search history? :P
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 pm

Yes, thanks for the tip about the ATMs.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 am

Get a Schwab debit card -no atm fees world wide. Great not really a bank-bank, btw.