Layover at Schipol for 4.75 hours, from 5:50am

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Layover at Schipol for 4.75 hours, from 5:50am

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:45 am

Does it make sense to leave the airport? Is there anything we could do at that hour for that period of time? It'd be me and the two Boinkettes, age 12 and 11.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Layover at Schipol for 4.75 hours, from 5:50am

Post by DCComic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:30 am

Nah.
Have breakfast.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:54 am

you could take the train from the airport to ams centraal station. approx 6 trains per hour. travel time approx 18 minutes. but, first you should add up the time: deplane, go through customs/immig, get bags (?), get train ticket, go on train, at centraal station start exploring, train back to schipol, re-check bags?, get boarding passes?, go through security, etc.

if the above will be too stressful, then just hang out at the beautiful AMS airport. it is one of my faves. this site tells you stuff to do at AMS.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/what-to-do-a ... rity/list/

or, go to the main page within that site for even more ideas. print out the 5 EUR shopping voucher and have the girls go shopping.

'holland boulevard' is good to check out @ AMS. there is a small rijksmuseum there too (but it may still be closed for renovation). see here:
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/what-to-do-a ... boulevard/

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Schiphol is one of the best airports to spend time at. I normally head to the KLM lounge for a shower then to a window seat and breakfast at Cafe Coco to watch the planes although kids may prefer McDonalds which is elevated and great for people watching.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:49 pm

I have no idea what time Amsterdam wakes up. I had about the same amount of time but later in the day. Didn’t have to worry about bags so took train into town and took a boat ride around the canals. Then back to the airport. But will they be running at that early hour? And will you all be exhausted? Airport does have reputation of being one of the better ones to hang out in.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Amsterdammers are late risers. I would just stay at the airport it's one of the best!

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:28 pm

yeah, me too, i would just hang out at schiphol. there is lots to do and to see there. and besides, i LOVE hanging out at airports. oh yes i do!

if you are heading to the usa, then i would just stay at schiphol. why? all flights bound for the usa go through that extra annoying security questioning and search. so you'll have to budget some time for this annoyance.

during my last transit, i passed up on the klm lounge (which, if you have access, is a large and enjoyable lounge). instead, i got some fresh air and hung out in the 'airport park'.

not my pic:

this is my pic: of course i was perving on those aircraft :o :lol: :lol:

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:11 am

cummy wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:54 am
you could take the train from the airport to ams centraal station. approx 6 trains per hour. travel time approx 18 minutes. but, first you should add up the time: deplane, go through customs/immig, get bags (?), get train ticket, go on train, at centraal station start exploring, train back to schipol, re-check bags?, get boarding passes?, go through security, etc.

if the above will be too stressful, then just hang out at the beautiful AMS airport. it is one of my faves. this site tells you stuff to do at AMS.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/what-to-do-a ... rity/list/

or, go to the main page within that site for even more ideas. print out the 5 EUR shopping voucher and have the girls go shopping.

'holland boulevard' is good to check out @ AMS. there is a small rijksmuseum there too (but it may still be closed for renovation). see here:
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/what-to-do-a ... boulevard/
Thanks cummy. I reckon we'll just stay in the airport. Like you say, by the time we do all that adding up of time to do this, time to do that, etc, there won't be time to do anything. On top of all that, we'd have to store our baggage somewhere, as we're going to have significant carry-on stuff. The last time I tried going into Schipol on a layover, I got back late for my flight. I made the flight, but not without some drama. I was obviously in a hurry, and the security guys caught on to that and started asking me questions. I was coming from the Middle East, which didn't sit well with them.They took me downstairs and all but shined a flashlight up my bum. It was all ok in the end, they were even a bit apologetic, but it convinced me that I shouldn't stray too far from the airport.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I'm pretty familiar with which airports it makes sense to go downtown on a long layover, and AMS is definitely one*, (there are lockers downstairs) but even by myself I wouldn't for 4.75h between connecting non-Schengen flights, and certainly not with two cats to herd.

*FRA is the other that springs to mind.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:38 am

We are in Schiphol now. We went to the Nemo Park. Some of the things are pretty cool, some of them were broken, it all occupied us for about 30 minutes or so. The museum seems to be closed. We've talked about going to the outdoor park, but we are getting kind of tired. It took us about half an hour to overcome initial krabby nurse from the first leg of the trip