Air Canada offers to buy Aeroplan

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Air Canada offers to buy Aeroplan

Post by Cyllarus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Air Canada along with three deep pocketed financial partners offers to buy Aeroplan for $250 million + take on $2 billion in liabilities (i.e., aeroplan points outstanding).
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aeropla ... -1.4760780

My initial reaction is this could be a good deal bu I wonder how badly the value of current Aeroplan points would fall under terms of new ownership.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Re: Air Canada offers to buy Aeroplan

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:45 am

I don't even know why they continue it. You've got 2 fucking airlines in Canada. It doesn't really make sense to have loyalty programs for Canadian Residents.

I know that sounds harsh but we do live a market economy. You don't spend money on things that don't make sense. If you don't like Air Canada for a domestic flight you're basically fucked. Offering points or miles won't really sway your decision.
Ritalin Brightens Your Day!

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Actually Manch there are other options to AC and Westjet as long as you go to hub cities such as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc. Best international flight schedules and surprising number of international airlines fly out of the hubs. Aeroplan emains an inducement as can book flights on * Alliance.

Yes, much more proscribed if flying domestically.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:45 pm

There are a couple of discount carriers in Canada now too with Swoop and Flair.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:15 am

It's funny. I just got a google thing saying that Swoop added 7 new US destinations. I really think the US and Canada should have a REAL "Open Skies" agreement but Canadians, as much as they hate AC have a certain pride about it and the thought that they could go "tits up" as a result won't do.

By open skies I mean, for example. American Airlines could start hourly shuttle service between Toronto and Montreal etc.

LOL. I wonder how many Canadian would take that option?!!

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am

It's funny how national carriers are almost like sports teams. People get very emotional over them. In reality most countries don't really need them.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:21 pm

At one time Air Canada must have been popular but I can tell you that is not so much the case now. It is protected domestic market for AC and WS but most Canadians think that prices would drop if they allowed foreign airlines to serve dometsic market. Argument from AC and WS is that foreign "interlopers" would cherry pick the profitable routes such as TO to Montreal and leave the more costly and less profitable (or money losing) smaller market routes to domestic airlines. AC had been making this argument for years.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Yes, and Air Canada is obliged to provide service for less profitable routes, a hangover from when it was still a crown corporation.

I see that Porter Airlines, another smaller airline in Canada, is going to partner with Aeroplan. It'd be nice if Porter flew west. Would love to land at the island airport instead of Mississauga.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Yes, The Canadian carriers don't get EAS (Essential Air Service) subsidies like the US airlines do, so I give them credit for that.

I have to somewhat retract what I said earlier. A large country like Canada needs a solid airline to provide air service for the entire country. You can't let American, Delta or United completely take over and then we have a spat and they pull out. The folks in Yellowknife would be fucked! Small countries like Greece don't need a national airline though.

I"ve heard great things about Porter. AC seems to put up road blocks at every turn for them. They did the same thing with Ward Air. There's a great youtube video about Ward Air if you want' to look it up. That was a great airline and the Canadian government put them out of business because they wanted to protect AC.

Odd side note: My next door neighbor went to Hawaii and met a guy who worked for Ward and they got married. She now lives happily ever after in Winnepeg!

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:38 pm

For those of you interested here in the Great White North, looks like Air Canada + 3 financial partners have just bought back Aeroplan for $450 million plus taking on $1.9 billion in contingent liabilities (Aeroplan points outstanding). Still has to be approved by shareholders.

Result is better situation for those of us with remaining Aeroplan points but still expecting some type of "points haircut" when deal finally closes.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm still going to use as many points pre2020 as I can.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Same thought here. In June we burned 310,000 on flights to and from Asia this coming winter. Still have about 140,000 points left.

Raymond_Babbitt
Stew Ingredient

Post by Raymond_Babbitt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:55 pm

ManchVegas wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am
It's funny how national carriers are almost like sports teams. People get very emotional over them. In reality most countries don't really need them.
You couldn't be more wrong. If Delta ran hourly shuttles between Toronto and Montreal for $100 return nobody would give a shit except anybody who has a financial interest in AC or WJ. Canadians hate paying higher airfares, especially flights to Vancouver that cost more than flights to Europe, Canadians will even travel to the States and then fly to avoid those fares and AC/WJ.

Cellphones is the other industry with only two major carriers that Canadians think can go fuck itself as well. We'd gladly welcome open skies and an open cell market.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:56 pm

eric84 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:23 pm
Yes, and Air Canada is obliged to provide service for less profitable routes, a hangover from when it was still a crown corporation.

I see that Porter Airlines, another smaller airline in Canada, is going to partner with Aeroplan. It'd be nice if Porter flew west. Would love to land at the island airport instead of Mississauga.
It would be nice to be able to get to Vancouver on Porter but not nice enough to have jets landing in the middle of Toronto. That would be a nightmare.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:09 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:56 pm
eric84 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:23 pm

It would be nice to be able to get to Vancouver on Porter but not nice enough to have jets landing in the middle of Toronto. That would be a nightmare.
Could it be any worse than it is now? It's not like it's going over a lot of neighbourhoods.

Raymond_Babbitt
Stew Ingredient

Post by Raymond_Babbitt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Your skyline is already messed up thanks to crappy planning and all those ugly condos mind as well add jets to the picture. :-)

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Yes, thank you, Raymond, we noticed. We don't need more sound pollution than we already have.

Yes, eric, from what I've read the noise would be a lot worse.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:26 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:19 pm
Yes, thank you, Raymond, we noticed. We don't need more sound pollution than we already have.

Yes, eric, from what I've read the noise would be a lot worse.
But the flights are going over Lake Ontario. Airport NIMBY is fun.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Are you actually interested in discussing this or do you just want to diss someone who lives by the lake and already can hear the planes come in? If it's the latter I'm going to check out here.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:34 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:30 pm
Are you actually interested in discussing this or do you just want to diss someone who lives by the lake and already can hear the planes come in? If it's the latter I'm going to check out here.
I live under the flight path in Winnipeg so I'm qualified to make fun of people who chose to live near an airport and then decide to complain about the noise.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:37 pm

I didn't choose to live near an airport, I chose to live in downtown Toronto. And I'm OK with the current noise level from the Island airport. I don't want it to get worse.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Those Porter Planes are really quiet though. They make a light kerfluffle sound. I flew one last year. They are a little cramped inside though.

Babbit. That wasn't really my point. I just meant that some countries don't really need a national "Flag Carrier" it's just out of pride that they exist and govts. subsidize them. That's why Swiss Air finally went tits ups. A small country like that didn't need it's own airline. The same with Olympic and Greece.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:47 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:37 pm
I didn't choose to live near an airport, I chose to live in downtown Toronto. And I'm OK with the current noise level from the Island airport. I don't want it to get worse.
It will get worse. Airports generally get more volume over time.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:18 pm

I live under the flight path in Winnipeg so I'm qualified to make fun of people who chose to live near an airport and then decide to complain about the noise.
I bet that airport s so busy that you can hear a bird fart during the busiest time of day
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

Raymond_Babbitt
Stew Ingredient

Post by Raymond_Babbitt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:30 pm

ManchVegas wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:41 pm
Those Porter Planes are really quiet though. They make a light kerfluffle sound. I flew one last year. They are a little cramped inside though.
I believe you're talking about smaller planes Snowgirl is talking about the Airbuses/full sized jets used to get people to Vancouver from Toronto, which are much louder.
Babbit. That wasn't really my point. I just meant that some countries don't really need a national "Flag Carrier" it's just out of pride that they exist and govts. subsidize them. That's why Swiss Air finally went tits ups. A small country like that didn't need it's own airline. The same with Olympic and Greece.
I don't know if Canada needs a flag carrier but as the second largest country in the world it's not out of the question to have one or two, but I wasn't responding to that. I was responding to your assumption that Canadians care if AC lives or dies. We don't we don't hold any national emotional attachment to our domestic airlines.

Raymond_Babbitt
Stew Ingredient

Post by Raymond_Babbitt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:32 pm

ManchVegas wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:41 pm
I believe you're talking about smaller planes Snowgirl is talking about the Airbuses/full sized jets used to get people to Vancouver from Toronto, which are much louder.
I don't know if Canada needs a flag carrier but as the second largest country in the world it's not out of the question to have one or two, but I wasn't responding to that. I was responding to your assumption that Canadians care if AC lives or dies. We don't we don't hold any national emotional attachment to our domestic airlines.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Truth be told Canada could just be folded into the US domestic air system BUT that brings up security issues. If relations soured with the US and we pulled out you'd be fucked. So yes, Canada is a country that needs it's own carrier.

I didn't realize Canadian Carriers aren't subsidized at all.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:57 pm

polardude1 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:18 pm
I bet that airport s so busy that you can hear a bird fart during the busiest time of day
Polar with a rare jab at me. I almost miss it. We do get a lot of Cargo flights being in the middle of the country with a lot of trucking firms in town.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Thats BS. Air Canada has been subsidized, coddled and protected for decades. The industry in Canada is regulated by federal governmnet which is supposed to ensure safe and reliable flights at low cost. Flights are safe but costs to passengers are high. Govt refuses landing rights in major centres to foreign airlines thus protecting oligopoly of the two major airrlines here.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:53 pm

AC doesn't get direct subsidies though. In the US airlines are given actual money to fly to certain airports. It's called EAS. Essential Air Services.

You are right though AC does get coddled in other ways. I watched a video about Ward Air and how AC ran them out of business!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Cyllarus wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 pm
Thats BS. Air Canada has been subsidized, coddled and protected for decades. The industry in Canada is regulated by federal governmnet which is supposed to ensure safe and reliable flights at low cost. Flights are safe but costs to passengers are high. Govt refuses landing rights in major centres to foreign airlines thus protecting oligopoly of the two major airrlines here.
Yeah no cabotage which is huge.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:21 am

I can sort of understand the cabotage for large countries. You don't want to turn your domestic air services over to foreign carriers for security reasons.

The Ward Air video was interesting. It can be found on youtube. AC ran them out of the market by lobbying efforts. They made Ward Air have a restriction of all tickets sold on their flights must be purchased two weeks prior. No "walk up" fares.

A similair effort was made in Australia. Compass Air was run out of the market by Qantas.

On a funny side note. Aviation and cars are two topics that are like 90% male dominated. I never see any chicks get into it. I think maybe Temps because she worked in the industry. She's like the lone exception...and Snowgirl....

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:50 am

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:07 am

What a great airline. I actually flew them to Hawaii. Created a shit load of grief though on my way back. I went HNL-YYZ. At YYZ they preclear you for customs and it flagged me for some reason. The US customs agent sent me to a special room to be interviewed. I missed my connection to BOS. Had to overnight at the airport. It was a fucking nightmare.

I still don't get why that happened. Granted I took a Canadian airline for a domestic flight but that's not a crime is it? The routing was BOS-YYZ-HNL-YYZ-BOS.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Canadian was great. If you had status you got a book of stickers for mileage allotment upgrades regardless of fares.
Sometimes the stickers would "fall off" or not be collected at all by kindly GA's.
So you'd get some system wides and a bunch of 500 mile ones.
So if your flight was 990 miles you'd hand over 2 stickers and you'd magically be sitting up front.
I'd say I had about an 80-90% upgrade rate.
I do miss Canadian a lot.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Canadian was a great airline. Don't know why but much friendlier attitude than Air Canada.

I was at Vancouver Airport "the day" that offical flight mergers took place. Canadian flight cancelled....free for all as planeload of people tried to rebook with Air Canada to Toronto....had to go to 3 different desks and deal with AC ground staff and each one was f'ing nastier than the previous one. AND nothing much has chnaged attitude wise with AC. I know West Jet prices are pretty much the saame on same routes but I find their employees friendlier and willing to go extra mile.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm Gold on WJ Cyl, and I hate to say it but their attitudes have become less and less friendly than when I first started flying with them.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Yes. I didn't realize AC had such a cunty reputation.

They used to be a decent airline. I remember years ago there were two choices BOS - YYZ. It was USAir or AC. Everyone chose AC. I remember taking the AC option and they were much friendlier and they gave you a box lunch etc. It was really nice.

Yes. WestJet is really the better airline all though they fucked up with overeseas flights. They bought old 757's that had mechanical issues. I flew them BOS-YUL and it was decent. They actually did a full beverage and snack service on that short trip AND I left my fucking passport in the seat back pocket. I was paged before I left the airport and retrieved it. They will always be my ACE Canadian airline!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 pm

WJ is offering new overseas livery with proper lieflat beds starting this Oct. Manch.
I think I will try them to Hawaii next time and see how their biz class product stacks up against AC's
As an aside I was asked to be on the focus group when WJ was putting together this offering.
For my time I got $250 cash, a $250 WJ and two upgrade certs I can use for this new service.
Overall a very productive afternoon.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:55 pm

WJ's biz class product does need upgrading. Right now it's like they leave and empty seat between you sort of thing.

AC's biz class was good when I flew them years ago. It was equivalent to domestic first class in the US.

I remember years ago taking Delta from Boston to Montreal. We got upgraded to F. They actually gave us champers prior to take off and hot fudge sundaes during the flight! It's only a fucking hour.

And it was a fucking L-10LL wide body!

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 pm

eric84 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:34 pm
snowgirl wrote:
how many planes a day flies over you? 2?

I hear you snow. It has gotten worse.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:55 pm

ceylon_tea wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 pm
eric84 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:34 pm
snowgirl wrote:
how many planes a day flies over you? 2?

I hear you snow. It has gotten worse.
Polar beat you to it. Nice centre of the universe arrogance. But yeah, choose to live near an airport and whine about the noise. You'll get loads of sympathy from everybody else.

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:01 pm
Canadian was great. If you had status you got a book of stickers for mileage allotment upgrades regardless of fares.
Sometimes the stickers would "fall off" or not be collected at all by kindly GA's.
So you'd get some system wides and a bunch of 500 mile ones.
So if your flight was 990 miles you'd hand over 2 stickers and you'd magically be sitting up front.
I'd say I had about an 80-90% upgrade rate.
I do miss Canadian a lot.
They also had a terrific travel arrangement with the military. They had so many "free" spots opened on flights for military members with a priority to those travelling on business. The flights with the most spots were Ottawa - Toronto with 100 spots, IIRC. Not every flight one or two in the morning same in the evening. There may only be one spot from Ottawa to Halifax, more spots to Vancouver etc. so varied depending on need. I put free in quotes as I'm certain there was a deal in place and the seats were sold to the military at a discount. Created loads of goodwill especially with guys going home to family on the weekends from courses.

When Canadian folded into AC I don't know exactly what happened but that program ended. Rumours were the military tried to work out a similar deal with AC and with no real domestic competition at the time basically told the military to fuck off.
Moethebartender wrote: "No doubt funded by the nigrah's and the joos."

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:23 pm

I haven't flown WestJet in a few years but their blah, blah, blah, blah at the beginning of and throughout every flight was monotonous, repetitive, sounded disingenuous and was ultimately extremely annoying.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:25 am

Yeah, NG. Southwest can be like that too. They take the nice-ness a little too far at times. It's like just hand me my fucking drink. I don't want a big song and dance to go along with it. That gets old quick.