Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Post Reply
Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Into and out of Heathrow on the way home we had to deplane and board on the tarmac. Really? The last time I had to do that was in Namibia.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 30227
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by leela » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Who were you flying with, and at which terminal? I've never had to do that at Heathrow (at least since bridges were invented).
Pass the wine...

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Lesser airlines refuse to pay for stands. The bus option is available to them as a cost saving.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 31162
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:57 pm

DCComic wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:52 pm
Lesser airlines refuse to pay for stands. The bus option is available to them as a cost saving.
The same airline can get jetway or stand depending on size of plane, time of arrival etc.

KLM does it to the ABZ flight at AMS quite often, as does AF at CDG.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Wherever that is.
I’ve got busses at Heathrow for cheap and crappies, never for BA.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 31162
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Although we're used to it at ABZ:

Image

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 30227
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by leela » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm

I've probably only flown long haul to/from Heathrow. Also probably only ever wide bodied aircraft. An airbridge is probably standard for those.
Pass the wine...

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9348
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by coffeeguy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Had to do that at Toronto yesterday for Turkish Airlines...

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Flew in from Prague on BA, out to Baltimore on BA. So I guess you are right, lesser airline.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:25 pm

T5?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
Homerj
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17539
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Homerj » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:29 pm

LGA and JFK are massive shitholes compared to Heathrow.
But I'm pretty sure if u are taking regional jets anywhere most airports have non airbridge boarding.
Its summer so my guess is much more common.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:33 pm

If you leave a BA plane onto tarmac at LHR that’s piss poor.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Sorry, into T3 out of T5.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
cummy
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9074
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by cummy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 pm
Sorry, into T3 out of T5.
omg. i haven't been in T3 in years. i know they first re-did the shopping and restaurant area. that looked acceptable. then they re-did the gates closest to the shopping/resto area -- where there is a BA lounge, AA lounge and where AA generally departs from (gates 23 to 40?). and they - SHOCK! - turned on the air conditioning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but what about the rest of T3 (gates 13 to 20)? i am assuming that DL and VS have refurbed the area to something acceptable as they seem (?) to be the primary airlines now using this space. not sure.

i just remember T3 in the 1990s and early 2000s. if you saw T3 then, then yes, i would agree that it was totally third world. long nasty walkways, dirty boarding gate areas, and ... THE HEAT. T3 was always a SAUNA during the winter time and summer time. i recall a LHR statement that T3 was so old that they couldn't figure out where heat and where a/c came from ... and that it only made sense to rip out everything and start new. i always wanted to put on my t-shirt and shorts anytime i went through this HOT area. and then they put up a divider down the long hallway, and this prevented arriving pax from mingling with departing pax. this sucked because upon arrival @ LHR, i could no longer go hang out in the then UA club, and small SQ club.

and speaking of third world ... and it probbers still is ... when you take the bus between terminals and you see the dirty underbelly of LHR. big shockers. when i see that, i scream "NEEDS AN IMMEDIATE RENO".

T5 is nice. nice and shiny.

the new queens terminal T2 is nice and shiny and new ... but i don't like the SUPER LONG walks.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 28878
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:07 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 pm
Flew in from Prague on BA, out to Baltimore on BA. So I guess you are right, lesser airline.
Because you failed to say PLEASE and THANK YOU

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:10 am

Stan strikes me as well mannered. I don’t suppose he’d do that.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:57 am

I always say please and thank you when I travel. It is only at home that I am rude. I actually said "please take me to the jetway you limey bastards, I don't want to deplane midfield". Do you think that was the problem?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:00 pm

They probably sighed and earmarked you for a body cavity search in the future.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Woohooo! I now look forward to traveling back through Heathrow at some point.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3272
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by steveogolf » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:39 pm

Better than Rangoon back in The Day when you had to pick up your own checked luggage on the tarmac because nobody else would bring it into the terminal (unless you paid 'em money).
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 pm

I really just posted this to try to irritate the Brits but it seems the "stiff upper lip" keeps this from being effective. Maybe if I insulted the full English breakfast I had. Crappy canned beans and some kind of "genuine" something or the other sausage that must have been 50% filler.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 31162
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by GLimpet » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:59 pm

The flipside of British "stiff upper lip" is that they are always trying to needle each other, and everyone else too.

They get used to insults and mockery, except when they detect you are sensitive to it, then they give it double..

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2750
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Cyllarus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:07 pm

At Thandwe airport we did not have a choice. The pilot hustled out of the cockpit, grabbed our two bags and lead us on a quick walk to the main gate. Gave him $1/bag and he was pretty happy.

User avatar
Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12765
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:20 pm

If you fly to a third world country, you have to expect to deal with a third world airport.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.
VD wrote:Why are you saying Zzzzzz instead of Zzzzz?

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16118
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:06 pm

The OP is correct...the airports in the UK are a fcuking disgrace,so many times I've returned to the UK and wondered what the bell a first time visitor must be thinking?

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:34 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 pm
I really just posted this to try to irritate the Brits but it seems the "stiff upper lip" keeps this from being effective. Maybe if I insulted the full English breakfast I had. Crappy canned beans and some kind of "genuine" something or the other sausage that must have been 50% filler.

Astonishingly it's possible too get both good and bad food in the UK. That's probably true of most countries. People who post here seem to be magnetically drawn to the really bad stuff. Possibly it's to do with being American and cheap.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 am

In this case it was a combination of stuck with what you can get in an airport and curiosity. I am not sure that I would be a big fan of the full English breakfast anywhere, but I am sure there are much better available than at Heahtrow. But, I figured as long as I was technically in England I might as well try it. When we travel we are drawn toward eating a lot of traditional food from the culture was are visiting but I don't think price enters into our decisions all that much in the way of food. We don't splurge everyday but was are not eating "economy" meals all the time either. I am sure there is great food in the UK and hopefully one of these years we will do a "real" visit and get to try some.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8451
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by ben_hanscombe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Airport fried breakfasts only exist to soak up ill-advised 5am pints of beer.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 am
I don't think price enters into our decisions all that much in the way of food.
Expect cheap to be crap.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Most always. Of course nothing in an airport is cheap.
DCComic wrote:
Stan In Maryland wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 am
I don't think price enters into our decisions all that much in the way of food.
Expect cheap to be crap.
Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16502
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by DCComic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:01 pm

It’s relative. If your breakfast is the cheapest in the airport it’l be nasty.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 13053
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by simon_in_exile » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:21 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 pm
I really just posted this to try to irritate the Brits but it seems the "stiff upper lip" keeps this from being effective.
The fact that Heathrow IS crap also plays a part. It has some good aspects, but as the first part of Britain that many visitors see, it’s a dirty, poorly-designed embarrassment.

Having said that, as GLimpet mentioned above, not many airports are immune to the tarmac and bus treatment. I had it at Schiphol with KLM from Moscow last week - even better, you walk into the bridge to the terminal, then immediately downstairs, onto bus, and driven to another terminal before walking into the airport. The difference being that once you’re in Schiphol itself, it’s a pleasant place to be!


ETA: do ANY Brits on this site display a “stiff upper lip”? It’s not the 1950s...
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:59 am

Simon,

As said I was mainly trying to get a rise out of some Brits on here but I should have known that it would take much more to get a rise out of the "stiff upper lip" crowd. I would guess at some of the airports in our area the same thing happens. I mean there is a small plane airport in my town and I don't think they have any jetways (they don't have any jets) so I am sure you have to walk up to the planes.

As to your point about "gateways". As I deplaned at BWI at the international gate and was walking to passport control I looked at the plain white wallboard walls and thought "can't we get some murals of the area or something to great international arrivals?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8451
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by ben_hanscombe » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:59 am
Simon,

As said I was mainly trying to get a rise out of some Brits on here but I should have known that it would take much more to get a rise out of the "stiff upper lip" crowd.
I was mildly irked when I saw the thread title bit then I opened it and saw who posted it and stopped being irked.

You're hard to be irked at, Stan.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:36 pm

So being a generally nice guy means I can't get a rise when I try to be a troll? Maybe I do need a troll handle.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 30227
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by leela » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:54 pm

Yeah. My reactions were the same as ben's. You definitely need another handle if you want to wind us up.
Pass the wine...

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 64950
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by VinnyD » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:01 pm

some kind of "genuine" something or the other sausage that must have been 50% filler.
I read that and said, ooh, that'll get a rise out of them, and so it came to pass.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3578
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:53 am

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by mishmish » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Hethrow?? pffft OP needs to visit some actual 3rd world airports.

User avatar
dBrother
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 23948
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:54 am

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by dBrother » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:52 pm

heathrow always strikes me as just a bit drab and grey on arrival from anywhere else in the world..

tulla airport still had the tarmac walk with tiger airlines a few years ago, lotsa tarmac walks in perth too, with qantas link going to regional airports
.

User avatar
harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10911
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by harry_flashman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:06 pm

I prefer to walk out to a plane on the tarmac. Much more civilised that walking along one of those horrible air conditioned bridges. If you are in the tropics or middle east its great to get out and feel the sun on your skin and the heat in air especially if you have just arrived from a Northern European winter. Having grown up with a father in the airforce I have also become accustomed to the sound of Jet Engines and it stays with you. You don't really get that aeroplane buzz when you are cooped up inside a terminal
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

User avatar
harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10911
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by harry_flashman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:09 pm

The fact that Heathrow IS crap also plays a par
t.

i disagree

Having flown out of various different terminals I would say that Heathrow is pretty good these days. The major problem is the sheer size of the place if you have to transfer,
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:37 pm

mishmish wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 pm
Hethrow?? pffft OP needs to visit some actual 3rd world airports.
pfffft..Op has.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:38 pm

Again, I obviously need to work on my humor (homour). It was a bit of a joke.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

User avatar
matt_melb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8753
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by matt_melb » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:44 pm

harry_flashman wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:06 pm
I prefer to walk out to a plane on the tarmac. Much more civilised that walking along one of those horrible air conditioned bridges. If you are in the tropics or middle east its great to get out and feel the sun on your skin and the heat in air especially if you have just arrived from a Northern European winter. Having grown up with a father in the airforce I have also become accustomed to the sound of Jet Engines and it stays with you. You don't really get that aeroplane buzz when you are cooped up inside a terminal
Agree. And quicker to load and unload. You can overtake people dawdling off the plane.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 31162
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by GLimpet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am

With my spring-bladed rollaboard wheels, I cut a swathe through the dawdlers.

User avatar
Homerj
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17539
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Homerj » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Sorry but both of NYC's airports could belong in Baghdad.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

User avatar
cummy
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9074
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by cummy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 pm

^^^ and that is an insult to baghdad. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 72368
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Why is Heathrow a 3rd World Airport?

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:40 am

harry_flashman wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:06 pm
I prefer to walk out to a plane on the tarmac. Much more civilised that walking along one of those horrible air conditioned bridges. If you are in the tropics or middle east its great to get out and feel the sun on your skin and the heat in air especially if you have just arrived from a Northern European winter. Having grown up with a father in the airforce I have also become accustomed to the sound of Jet Engines and it stays with you. You don't really get that aeroplane buzz when you are cooped up inside a terminal
Totally agree with this.

The on/off experience today is completely sterile.

As long as it's a quick walk to the terminal, and not getting on a bus.

Post Reply