Ashram living.

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Post Reply
User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16113
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Ashram living.

Post by Lincoln » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Anyone done it?..

I haven't but I quite fancy it for stint say 6 months to a year...are there still those places in India?...i'm sure there are but have they become big money things to do?

Have you ever stayed on one or do you know anyone that has?

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16113
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by Lincoln » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:45 pm

[url][/uhttps://www.iyengaryoga.in/rl]

I'm thinking of this one..

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by steveogolf » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:00 pm

That shit if for hippies, including those who smoke a lot of dope !
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

User avatar
Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6991
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:01 am

Re: Ashram living.

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 am

I'd go for the sex. Fuck those lentil and mung bean sandwiches though.

User avatar
mad hatter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 25268
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by mad hatter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:00 am

Unwashed_Pom wrote:I'd go for the sex. Fuck those lentil and mung bean sandwiches though.
normally the pervy old gurus go for young chicks but you never know your luck Unwashed!
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12900
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:00 am

You want yoga, right? Yoga will always be more expensive than meditation. Sri Lanka seems a little cheaper and realer than India.

You can meditate for 50 baht a day in Mae Hong Song. That's a suggested donation. Rice, cabbage, hard bed. And no chanting. I prefer no chanting. You seem like a chanter. Always, ask about the chanting.

I did 90 days silent at Kopan in Nepal. No way you could just drop into a six month thing right off the bat. Try 30 first

User avatar
Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6991
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:01 am

Re: Ashram living.

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:10 am

mad hatter wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:00 am
Unwashed_Pom wrote:I'd go for the sex. Fuck those lentil and mung bean sandwiches though.
normally the pervy old gurus go for young chicks but you never know your luck Unwashed!
It's either tantric sex with nubile devotees of the feminine persuasion or nothing. Their loss.

Lincs should set up his own cult. Baba Lincs and the House of Spinach.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12900
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Pom: Your dream girl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleo_Odzer

Met her a couple of times. I feel certain she would have had tantric sex with you.

God did not make nearly enough Cleo Odzer's to go around.

You hear this lament here everywhere from men in one inchoate form or other.

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 30207
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by leela » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Would Mrs Lincoln and Lincoln Junior join you?
Pass the wine...

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by steveogolf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:54 pm

When I went to the Khajarajo Erotic Temple in India back in The Day I met a "Guru" (I can't remember his name) who had an Ashram. I gave him my address in the United States, and, of course, I received a request for money (donation) for his ashram after I got home.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

User avatar
Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6991
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:01 am

Re: Ashram living.

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:54 pm
When I went to the Khajarajo Erotic Temple in India back in The Day I met a "Guru" (I can't remember his name) who had an Ashram. I gave him my address in the United States, and, of course, I received a request for money (donation) for his ashram after I got home.
I'm planning on being in Khajuraho sometime round the first week in January. Can you remember his name? I'll give him your best and tell him the cheque's in the mail (still).

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16113
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 pm

leela wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:55 pm
Would Mrs Lincoln and Lincoln Junior join you?
No way, this is for me...my treat.

User avatar
strife
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16829
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Ashram living.

Post by strife » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:48 am

I go to this ashram, south of Charlottesville, to unwind a couple of times a year. I could probably live there, if I had a cra.
I am Stalking you.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9348
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by coffeeguy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:51 pm

I've know two people who have done it, both were women big time into yoga and spirituality. If you're good with hanging out with that type 24 by 7 for months on end, then go for it. Not my cup of tea...

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2746
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:41 pm

I've always thought you have to be fairly dimwitted to spend time in an Ashram. Look what happened to those easily led Beatles.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Ashram living.

Post by steveogolf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Unwashed_Pom wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 pm
steveogolf wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:54 pm
When I went to the Khajarajo Erotic Temple in India back in The Day I met a "Guru" (I can't remember his name) who had an Ashram. I gave him my address in the United States, and, of course, I received a request for money (donation) for his ashram after I got home.
I'm planning on being in Khajuraho sometime round the first week in January. Can you remember his name? I'll give him your best and tell him the cheque's in the mail (still).
Doing some internet research I think it might have been the guy who runs the Yogi Ashram Guesthouse, Yogi Sharma. The guy I met who must be old by now called himself "Sharma". He has a website and a facebook page. Yeah, the check is in the mail (still) -- that lousy Indian mail service is to blame.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8449
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Ashram living.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:26 pm

Cyllarus wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:41 pm
I've always thought you have to be fairly dimwitted to spend time in an Ashram. Look what happened to those easily led Beatles.
Excluding Ringo, the coolest Beatle, who went home because he wanted a bacon sandwich.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Post Reply