Airport Lounges

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
cummy
Stew Ingredient

Re: Airport Lounges

Post by cummy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:04 pm

leela wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 am
True, there's not much one can do to avoid that. Luton has to have the most manic and bad tempered baggage security area I've come across. Horrible staff, crowded, and it's almost as if they spray high stress pheremones in the air.
leela wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 pm
I actually got shouted at (at length) by one of the security staff for walking through the scanner just as he turned his head to talk to a colleague.
NIFTY!

oh this sounds just like EWR/newark (sh!thole). add a dirty, falling apart, totally dysfunctional and customer unfriendly terminal building, and you have newark!

i have only ever been to luton once. i flew easyjet from luton to CDG.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:26 pm

I can get to LTN quite cheaply from ABZ on EasyJet.

But why?

Unless to get a cheap flight somewhere else - and the one time we did that (to Geneva), it were 'orrible, as I noted in previous post.

Given budget airline delays and infrequency, you generally need to leave 3-5 hours between flights.

easyJet page for LTN still says " You can drop your bags for any flight at any of our desks from 2 hours before the departure time." Boo.

EDI is drop your bag any time.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:31 pm

You're doing this on purpose aren't you, GLI?
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 pm

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 pm

^^^ haha, glimpie. you’re such a Cochin International Airport :lol: :lol:

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 am

The shittiest one in the world has to be the only one I’ve visited, in Banda Aceh. Besides slow WiFi, they had stale wafer cookies and the Islamic version of Tang. It also stunk of stale cigarette smoke.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 am

The ones in the US are filled with jerks talking loudly into their cell phone headsets.

In Tokyo, they're worth paying for.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm

english airports that aren't heathrow are generally shit, I mean having to take ones shoes off FFS..?

Got to lounge around in the platinum qantas lounge in sydney after the purps/andy pissup, the regular qantas lounge was shut so they just diverted all to the premium lounge, they bring the drinks and snaks to your table there, all free, had a hell of a hangover so it was nice having the first class service laid on..

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 am

The Cathay Pacific lounge I went to in Hong Kong was the bee's knees. It was one of many, and not even their best. I don't even remember which one it was.

I believe I posted a few pictures there of the planes from their picture windows. Food was decent.

I'm not sure whether we'll leave the Nanjing airport when we're there for 7 hours in January. We will have had our day in Shanghai on the way over. But, I don't hear great things about mainland Chinese lounges, so that may factor in.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:00 pm

dBrother wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm
english airports that aren't heathrow are generally shit, I mean having to take ones shoes off FFS..?
Last 18 months I've been through MAN, LHR, LGW, EDI, KOI and of course ABZ.

Only been asked to remove my shoes once, at MAN.

That was the first time anywhere for a few years.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 pm

actually my sample rate is pretty low, manchestor was the only place they made me strip my feet bare naked, ever, I just assumed it was a thing in all the UK regional airports cos of that...

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Just did the Plaza Premium in YWG.
Food was decent but they have bartenders which I don't like as I have to moderate my booze intake..thankfully I was sitting up front so my 2 hr. jaunt home had 3 more doubles in store for me.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!