A few Thailand q's

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Butterfingers
Stew Ingredient

A few Thailand q's

Post by Butterfingers » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:00 am

We are going to Thailand in December. Not my first time there but it is for Mr Butterfingers. Hoping someone could help with the following q's:
1. In Khao Sok, is it easy and better to explore the park on your own, or should I book a guide? We are fit but not big hikers.
2. In Bangok, best part in Sukhumvit area to stay? Soi 11 seems good? Is there a good gym in the area you can go for casual visits?
3. We are flying in and out of Phuket. Am thinking to go to Koh Lanta for resort time at the end. I want a nice area, relaxing but with plenty of bars and nice restaurants. Is Koh Lanta a good option? Have been Koh Samui, Koh Phangan before so want to try somewhere else.

Thanks

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Re: A few Thailand q's

Post by mad hatter » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:53 am

I could give you advice but it woukd be very out of date. Hopefully soneone has been recently!
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:25 pm

I was there last year but people who want a gym instead of swimming or running down the beach are so far out of my milieu that I wouldn't hazard to offer advice.

Herc
Stew Ingredient

Post by Herc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:49 pm

Geoffers wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:25 pm
swimming or running down the beach
In Bangkok?

Butterfingers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Butterfingers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 am

^wondered the same thing

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 am

Chinatown is more atmospheric/foodie ect. But for Sukhamvit, Soi 13 is now my preferred soi after they tore down Cheap Charlies, Villa Mart ect on Soi 11. Def 11 for street food and the great (but overpriced) Dosa King.

On 13, Miami Hotel retains the old charm and prices. I killed 2 weeks there. Sunrise Taco's next door is great for brekkie, but you can cut though The Ambassador Hotel and be at Au Bon Pan. Some great, great 5 star indian rests. down those 2 soi's, with super sunday brunch deals. Also great massages, since the competition is so cut throat. 200 baht gets a handy, but your wife will feel welcome too.

Also, look at hotels near Emporium Mall (lots of mind boggling upscale restaurants, super spa options). You're nearer that famous street food market too (Soi 33, I think).

It would be hard to walk 2 blocks along Sukhamvit lower soi's and not hit a gym/yoga school. Check out using the Ambassador Hotel gym too. ThaiVisa Forum will provide up to the minute Gym recco's.

The park: It's easy to get lost. but if you're just following the tourist circuit little path, I say no biggie.

Koh Lanta is (marginally) a national park, so it will be less developed then the other places you mention, but still plenty developed. Reefer is everywhere.
Last edited by BeatRaven on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 am

For a very chill place your wife will like on Soi 11:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... ngkok.html

Just 4 doors down is a place where you can observe pay for play relationships in a very benign setting and eat very good german food:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ngkok.html

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 am

I had good pork noodles in Chinatown. I thought Sukhamvit was a nice neighborhood. I wandered into a big covered food court that might have been the one mentioned by btraven. I had tom kha gai and prawns. Bangkok has the best street food.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:14 am

BeatRaven wrote:For a very chill place your wife will like on Soi 11:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... ngkok.html

Just 4 doors down is a place where you can observe pay for play relationships in a very benign setting and eat very good german food:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ngkok.html
Beat, what was the name of the old US comfort hotel that used to be on soi 2 or 4 i think, had the US motel pool style design?
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 am

for some reason i have tropicana or flamingo in my mind?

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:23 am

If I'm picking, Chinatown over Sukhamvit, 10 to 1.

There's a whole area west of Khao San Road that has boutique hotels now, some even near the river, it's where all the mega-famous temples are. That's my next go to. Here's an older property with great vibe and value down by the river:

https://www.swanhotelbkk.com

Penninsula Hotel on the river is a 5 star hotel at 3 star prices.

Mad hatter: The Lonely Planet beloved Atlanta. Shit rooms, long walk, beautiful lobby, great restaurant. Fierce, fierce anti guest in the room policy due to the Baptist Church next door.

http://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com

The old hotels are fading fast. The legendary and aptly named Honey House is gone!!! Nana Hotel is still worth a walk thru for the scene and the great travel agency there.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:10 am

That's a good thread. I'm just marking it.
Go on.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:34 am

I stayed at the Atlanta one of the times I went to Bangkok to get a root canal when I worked in Singapore. That hotel has character.
I had Thai congee in the hotel restaurant. It was amazing.

Butterfingers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Butterfingers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:48 am

Thanks for the tips BR. I am the wife, but who doesnt love a handy!

I'm staying riverside the first three nights in Bangkok (Centrepoint Hotel Silom) but thought I'd change the part of town halfway in.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 am

If you're doing Sukhamvit, I also recco the Cabbages and Condom restaurant, which has some royal Thai dishes that you won't see anywhere else in a very beautiful old tree setting. It's a great charity too. Also, The pad thai guy on soi 11 is youtube-worthy. To get that spot must have been Darwinian. Cheap Charlie told me he pays 1,000 baht a day to the police to keep the spot.

If you want a foodie Thai nearby, Bo Lan is the best I've had in Bangkok. There's a more famous one that VronicaInHeels went to that's very good, but Bo Lan has a more regional Thai focus. There's tons of Bordainesque places catering to Issan tastes in the upper soi's and they're all good. Vientiane Kitchen is perfect and has excellent traditional Lao music.

http://www.vientiane-kitchenbkk.com/Rec ... 601a28e91c

Sukhamvit has the advantage of the raised subway to whisk you everywhere (basically, to upscale malls). Like Pattaya, it's a place where you can have a conversation with an English speaking Thai person who's super tourist-friendly. You'll also see plenty of spirit houses and animist shrines down the side alleys, so you have a sense of tourism encroaching (and then some) rather than crushing their great culture. It's much more alive than Times Square.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:49 am

haha the one im thinking of was defo full of pros, was a US motel style with pool area from korean war era, ex R and R joint. since closed and a new development put up.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:51 am

Butterfingers wrote:Thanks for the tips BR. I am the wife, but who doesnt love a handy!

I'm staying riverside the first three nights in Bangkok (Centrepoint Hotel Silom) but thought I'd change the part of town halfway in.
snap. we stayed there once!

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am

Yeah, Hatter, I'm thinking Soi 1, down a ways. Like a class c Florida motel, circa 76.

They tried to copy Nana Hotel and have their own free lancer bar on premises. Named something like the Atlas or Apex, I'm thinking.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 am

BeatRaven wrote:Yeah, Hatter, I'm thinking Soi 1, down a ways. Like a class c Florida motel, circa 76.

They tried to copy Nana Hotel and have their own free lancer bar on premises. Named something like the Atlas or Apex, I'm thinking.
that sounds like it. just past a school. was klassy and classic.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:30 am

That Hotel was near Bumrungrad Hospital, so akin to having a cheap brothel on Park Avenue, land value-wise.

Crazy real estate prices have sucked a lot of the charm out of the area. For me, when they lost that ally that ran between soi 7 and 9 full of cocktail bars, massage places and old ladies with sewing machines, it was sort of a death knell for Suk for me. I used to stay at the legendary Check Inn hotel in that ally, a true travelers cross roads back in the day. The little Arab quarter is also not long for this world, The African disco, shuttered.

Krishna, who own Krishna's big gift store of giant tiger statues and Buddha's on the corner of Soi 11 keeps getting offered millions to vacate. But she needs to be there to talk to tourists to have a reason to get up in the morning. She's 85. When she goes, that corner will really take a hit.

Butterfingers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Butterfingers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 pm

So I booked Park Plaza bangkok as other location. And dinner at Bo.Lan. I love eating (am vegetarian though), might do a street food tour as well. Any other must eat places in Bangkok, Koh Lanta, Khao Sok or Phuket?

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 pm

I still think that Cowscam rd/samsen area is the best area to stay although a lot of the action has moved to Soi Ram Buttri. The clientelle is larger young as opposed Sukhamvit which is largely full of the middle aged and cynical. It's also nearer to the river and the grand palace and you can get buses from Thanon Ratchadamnoen Klang to most places down town. There are also a couple of free gyms in Saranrom Park and Rommaninat Park near the grand palace.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

Butterfingers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Butterfingers » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:06 pm

I stayed in Ram Buttri last time I was there, will definitely visit this time around. I was hoping in Sukhumvit to be a lazy tourist for those few days, mainly eating, drinking and wandering around.

First few days will be Riverside and do the landmark stuff.

Butterfingers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Butterfingers » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:50 am

Ok so am approaching the end of this trip. Sukhumvit was better than the river area for me. I did a private food tour in Thonburi which was good. Had dinner at Bo.Lan which was amazing. We ate at cabbages and condoms and the food was excellent, nice ambience despite how quirky it was. Am in Koh Lanta now, spending my days lying by a pool.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:42 pm

You can do a day trip to Kanchanaburi by trains on weekends or better yet spend the night and go all the way the hellfire pass.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Gogo
Stew Ingredient

Post by Gogo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:56 pm

cuchulainn wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:34 am
I stayed at the Atlanta one of the times I went to Bangkok to get a root canal when I worked in Singapore. That hotel has character.
I had Thai congee in the hotel restaurant. It was amazing.
I stayed there and had the congee. It was fantastic. It set the bar for congee for me.
Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity. It is a kind of bottomless stupidity, a fiendish stupidity. They are the most horrifying, cannibalistic and nightmarish creatures in the world. - Werner Herzog