Classical Greece

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Mbappe
Stew Ingredient

Classical Greece

Post by Mbappe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:16 pm

I am new to travel so was hoping for some guidance.

I am looking to take two weeks to a month out to bum around in Greece. No real plans or itinerary as yet and I only came back from Crete and Santorini two weeks back.

But roughly in my head I am thinking. Quick stop in Athens, then Mycenae, Corinth, Marathon, Sparta..

Then on to Delphi, Thermopylae, Mount Olympus and Alexander the Great history in Macedonia. Fly out of Thessaloniki.

Hiring a car should work. What would people who have done Greece advise?

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Re: Classical Greece

Post by Geoffers » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Get there, follow your nose, eat drink sleep local. Don't have a plan. Read the Nicomachean Ethics while there . Visit a refugee camp or donate to one.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:16 pm

And now have I put in here, as thou seest, with ship and crew, while sailing over the wine-dark sea to men of strange speech
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... card%3D178

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Two weeks really won't give you enough time to bum around if you want to see your list you will be on the move. A month would be much more accommodating. Napflion is a good start it can be touristic but it's a good centre for day trips to other sites. I really like Sparta when I first visited it was really quiet I think a lot of young people were heading to the cities but now it's quite vibrant lots of families and young people. Monomvasia is another must see in summer I got the impression it's a party town but we were there off season. There is an island attached to the the mainland by a thin finger of land, a town/ city was built there. Great to wander around in also watching porpoises feeding in the bay not exactly classical. If you have the month head over to Delphi. Now Delphi proper has the sure and the museum which are nice, but there is good hiking in the area. If you can locate the E 4 it takes you up the side of the cliff on stone steps laid way way back. Views are stupendous. Keep hiking to the kerkorian cave. I don't know if the climb to the cave proper has been stabilized but it was a bit of a scramble to get up there when we visited. The E4 starts in some guys olive grove and he had a big dog chained just short of reaching the path to discourage hikers. Meteora is a great visit on your way to thessolaniki. Food is great! Thessolaniki has interesting points birthplace of Attaturk, white tower museum. You can take the bus to Pella for the day from there too.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 pm

A bike will do just as well as a car; it will be cheaper; and you might lose some weight.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Vinny he doesn't look fat to me;)

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:49 am

Mbappe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:16 pm
Usually buses and ferries are a better option if you want to meet locals and enjoy the scenery. If public transportation doesn't go to your desired location rent a motorbike from the nearest town. They are much easier to navigate thru small spaces where a car will not fit.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:32 am

We picked up a motor at Athens and dropped it off at Thessaloniki. Worked well. Gets you to places public transport doesn't. Meteora is a must. Stunning setting. The food is brilliant in Thessa but the city itself despite the waterfront setting is totally underwhelming.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:35 pm

Yeah thessolaniki isn't really visitor geared, but it is what you make of it. Pre WWII it had a good sized Jewish population not so now. There is one really good bookstore that is Jewish owned existing now. It has books on the area during that time which are really interesting. Flash flooding rained like hell and the streets literally turned to rivers. Soaked by the time we got to the museum. One rather chic lady very calmly removed her stilettos hiked her skirt up a bit and waded across the street. No biggie. Now that was a display of cool!