Orange County/ San Diego

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Orange County/ San Diego

Post by misanthrope » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 am

I've got a business trip coming up in which I'm going to be in the OC and SD for. I've got 5 days after that work week (a weekend and 3 days) to kill after that and was looking for suggestions about nice coastal towns. I've got very good friends in West LA, but I don't want to crash on their couch (until the last night, maybe) as I go through there a lot on the way to New York.

So I have the weekend to do nothing but explore. The few weekdays I would be making calls for a different business in NY. I'd need somewhere with good reception or wifi, but preferably cheap. I'm traveling by myself. Anyone know the area?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Re: Orange County/ San Diego

Post by twodogs » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:50 am

The coast north of Los Angeles is more scenic. If you have a car I would drive up to Morro Bay and stay at https://www.morroshoresinn.com/ .
If you do not have a car you could take Amtrak up to Grover Beach (Pismo). Not sure where to stay but there a lots of options.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:37 am

There are plenty of things to do in San Diego, like having fish tacos at South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:38 am

Newport Beach in the OC has boats.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Laguna Beach and San Clemente are nice beach towns in Orange County. If it's still whale watching season, cruises of a few hours leave from Dana Point and the other small harbors up and down the coast.

San Diego has plenty to do, it depends what you want. Beaches, food, beer, nightlife, animal attractions, USS Midway.

How much wifi for how long do you need? Popping into a Starbucks or any other coffee shop should take care of that.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:47 pm

Thanks for the tips. I've been to SD before. I won't be looking for nightlife or the zoo, just somewhere quiet and near the beach where I can get some work done. Beer wise I might visit Ballast or the AleSmith breweries - or maybe whale watch on the Sat and Sun when there's no work to do.