Llanudno, Conwy, Snowdonia NP, Wales

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Llanudno, Conwy, Snowdonia NP, Wales

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:13 am

From mid-August...

Spectacular? Fun?

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Re: Llanudno, Conwy, Snowdonia NP, Wales

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Love Wales to death and seen about every square foot of it. It's where Americans learn to drive in England. That biz prob. has died off since they changed the non-dom tax laws. But true to the advert, you do see every kind of town and landscape in half a day.

Snowdonia is just big enough to feel like you're in a real alpine place. Llanduno is prob. the best preserved of the old victorian pleasure pier places (I saw Bernard Manning there). It has a well milked Alice in Wonderland connection (I stayed at the place -OKish). Castle-wise, Wales has the best ones practically stacked on top of each other. I recco Raglan Castle, straight out of a Piranesi print. Portmiron, the little town where they filmed The Prisoner is a very amiable tourist trap, partic if you like the idea of a garden folly taken to its logical extreme. You can walk endlessly along sheer white cliffs next to the sea for a good chunk of the country,

If you like that whole celtic circle of stones, rock that looks like a mushroom-thing, again, you have a lot of weirdness packed into a tiny space. The guy from The Teardrop Explodes wrote a very readable guide to all that stuff. All in, Wales is my fave part of the UK.

The Welsh are more pro-American and anti-London than the rest of the UK combined, tho you probably won't hear another American voice while you're there . The simple pub/ sandwich bar food is on average the best i ate in the UK. It's considered a bit of a joke by the rest of the country like Mississippi is in America and many parallels apply: it's racist, homophobic, super-insular.

CatscanMan went to uni there. I sent him The Satanic Bible. My ex wouldn't let me give it to one of the dweebs for Christmas so I had an extra copy.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks, BT

This would be a longer-term stay--housesitting--and it looks really nice.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Can you share the town? I have a wing of family that lives near Caphilly.

The son drilled a hole in his bedroom wall so he could have a lighting sconce over his bed without the cord dangling. This interior design obsession was broadly seen as proof of gayness. 100% prescient, it turned out.

John Harris, the Guardian columnist, has a lot of video diary stuff where he goes to ass end poor towns in Wales that are worth a look.

Wales is sort of the Lake Woebegotten of the UK.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Pete’s Eats in Llanberis is iconic. Do try to climb and walk a bit. Even though the mountains are tiny be respectful, they kill a handful every year. Definitely go to Portmerion. A car might really help because rural buses have been decimated.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:13 am

Wales is great. NW is the best. It does rain there, but the people are very nice to you once they realize you don't have an English accent.

They are the nicest on the entire island toward the Ameriguns.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:13 am

It's a gorgeous part of the world. You should definitely try it.
Wibble.