Istanbul

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: Istanbul

Post by VinnyD » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Rūstem Paşa Camii is wonderful. A little oasis of quiet.and beauty. One of several mosques in Istanbul by the great architect Sinan Paşa.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 am

Electrolyte wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 pm
In Istanbul don't miss the Chora Church/Kariye Museum by the city wall; one of the world's best preserved byzantine churches. Better mozaics than Hagia Sophia. A great day is to take a taxi there and then walk to the center after seeing it.
The Chora Church, like most everything else in Istanbul, was covered in scaffolding when I visited in April. A lot of its mosaics invisible. Still worth visiting, though. The boat ride along the Golden Horn is a fun way to get there.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:51 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:04 pm
How do you get that stuff home?
Well, I think I flew BA business on that trip and had an extravagant allowance of three suitcases, but it did fit easily in one suitcase with lots of room to spare. And my bags were stuffed with all kinds of other loot.
VinnyD wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:09 pm
One of several mosques in Istanbul by the great architect Sinan Paşa.
The grandest being Suleymaniye, the largest in Istanbul, which is also walking distance from the Neorion (but up a steep hill).

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:55 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 am
The Chora Church, like most everything else in Istanbul, was covered in scaffolding when I visited in April. A lot of its mosaics invisible. Still worth visiting, though. The boat ride along the Golden Horn is a fun way to get there.
Mixed reviews on TripAdvisor about the renovation. Sorry. Don't know why they have to do this. Everything was in great shape when I saw it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... anbul.html

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:57 pm

That's his greatest in Istanbul, but the Selimiye mosque (and complex) in Edirne (the former Adrianople, by the Bulgarian border) is really his masterpiece.

But in a way I like the Rüstem Paşa as much as any of them. It impresses with peace and quiet (and tiles) rather than with grandeur.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:15 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:09 pm
Rūstem Paşa Camii is wonderful. A little oasis of quiet.and beauty. One of several mosques in Istanbul by the great architect Sinan Paşa.
Also under shitloads of scaffolding when I visited in April. Closed to visitors, and nothing to see from outside.

Süleymaniye, which I loved for its peace and quiet and its view over the harbour, was scaffolding-free.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:31 pm

I thought no one was going to Turkey because of security concerns. Sounds like it's actually because of renovations.

Didn't know about Selimiye. Never been to Edirne. I'll put that one on my list.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 am

I'd been Turkey several times as a backpacker and always stayed in Sultanahmet, i.e. tourist central. So when bringing the family several years ago, I thought I'd get us something a teensy bit off the beaten path, but still close to the tourist action. So I booked us an AirBnB in Beşiktaş in Istanbul. A long hike to Sultanahmet, but a reasonable tram ride away. Very convenient to ferries to Asia. Safe area with tons of restaurants, most of them with outdoor seating packed with Turk dudes with long hair in a bun and hippy Turk chicks who looked like they hadn't bathed in perhaps 36 hours. It was a good decision, my choice of location, that is. If you want, I might be able to dig up the AirBnB we stayed at. It was actually a small hotel of 4 studio apartments.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:50 am

That sounds good, BB.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:01 am

Yeah, we'd book there again if we were doing Istanbul for 4-5 days again.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Boinkity_Boink wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 am
I'd been Turkey several times as a backpacker and always stayed in Sultanahmet, i.e. tourist central.
Yeah. I stayed at the Buyuk Ayasofia hotel directly in front of the Haghia Sophia in the late 1980s for about $10. Those days are long long gone.