Istanbul

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Istanbul

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:30 am

I'm thinking about heading there for a week in September. I am looking for recommendation on a place to stay. I need good internet for work.

Anyone?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Re: Istanbul

Post by sodelicious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:13 am

Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:15 am

Errr, thanks...
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:55 pm

We stayed at the Ottoman Imperial http://www.ottomanhotelimperial.com. Very convenient to transportation and Hagia Sophia was literally across the road.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:52 pm

THanks!

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:09 pm

Check their website and keep track of prices/ this is the one we used cancelon and it worked out despite my fears. But I also found that the prices dropped a lot shortly before we checked in.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Hehe. Ok. I'm making a shortlist and will note to check prices more than once.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:56 pm

They included a great breakfast

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Post by truenic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:30 pm

We stayed here and it was great! But, a long time ago. Like 15 years ago. http://www.sidehotel.com/english/index.asp

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:21 am

I think I remember you telling me about this place the last time I was going to go (before the bomb). I will look into it again. Thanks!

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 pm

I stayed in an airbnb in Galata, great apartment close to Istiklal Street. There are some fantastic airbnb places for around $100 a night there. I liked Galata because we were away from the tourist hordes that stay in Sultanamet (that said, still lots of tourists in Galata as well. We were 30 min walk/$10 cab ride to blue mosque and Hagia Sofia and other key sights. Istiklal Street is a pedestrianized street with thousands of shops and restaurants where the locals come out to walk/shop/dine each night - after seeing the sights it was a great place to si, eat, have some drinks and people watch. You can take a funicular streetcar down to Taksim square.

Enjoy, Istanbul was one of my absolute favorite cities I've ever been.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks for that, coffeeguy. I will give it some thought. I'll be going on my own so am always cognizant of that when I book somewhere in relation to walking I may have to do after dark to get home or to go to eat, etc.

I've been trying to get to Istanbul for some time. I even had my (points) tickets booked last time and then the city got bombed and so I cancelled. This time, as long as I can get a flight on points, I'm pretty determined to get there.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:22 pm

I'm sorry to say I can't help with information on hotels or other accommodations, but
maybe the video below will help erase the memory of the one posted by sodelicious.

It's the original version of a song recorded by the Canadian group The Four Lads in 1953.

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 pm
Thanks for that, coffeeguy. I will give it some thought. I'll be going on my own so am always cognizant of that when I book somewhere in relation to walking I may have to do after dark to get home or to go to eat, etc.

I've been trying to get to Istanbul for some time. I even had my (points) tickets booked last time and then the city got bombed and so I cancelled. This time, as long as I can get a flight on points, I'm pretty determined to get there.
We found Istanbul completely safe, the people friendly, even the carpet sales and tour touts. Granted we were not walking around post midnight or stumbling home drunk from a club, but there were lots of people around after dark in the areas we were and never felt anything but comfortable.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:30 pm

I just booked my flights. I'm committed now!

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 pm

You're going to love it, it's a fabulous city. Definitely one of my favorites.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks, Lolasf. I'm pretty excited about it. It's a short trip and I'll be working while I am there but I don't care. I have really wanted to get there and am happy that it's finally going to happen.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 am

northern_goddess wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 pm
I've been trying to get to Istanbul for some time. I even had my (points) tickets booked last time and then the city got bombed and so I cancelled.
i did the same! and i have been so longing to visit.

that was just a few years ago. i cannot remember the exact year. this was when the first riots started in taksim square. my mum and i were in paris on hols. we had flights and hotels booked for istanbul. mum was watching the news, getting a bit scared and telling me to cancel the tix and rebook us to fly back home. i kept saying "nahhh, it'll pass. i am not cancelling. i am going". so there!

the night before our flight out i emailed a bff who was on hols in istanbul. now this bff is a tough chic. she loves action and adventure. so i said "should i visit?". she instantly replied and said "no". omg. if tough chic says to not visit istanbul, then you know something is wrong there. i took bff's word, cancelled the flights and hotel in IST, and rebooked the flights to the usa.

oh the best part was... lufthansa only had first class seats left on FRA-IAD, so i did the right thing and accepted those first class seats. fucking hell, yes!

noggers: where's my invite? you know we would have a blast together :lol: :lol:

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:05 am

Come with me, Cummy!!! Think of the men we could ogle.

I got Business Class tickets all the way and all lie-down seats except for one leg between Istanbul and Frankfurt coming home. There was really only one return trip (dates) where good seats and connections were available so I just booked it. 115,000 points and I go in September.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:55 pm

I was there for 3 nights maybe 4-5 years ago on an extended layover after a business trip, on my way home. I stayed in a nice boutique hotel in Sultanahmet--will try to find the name of it.

The only time I felt uneasy was in a cab, when a guy on foot came up and got aggressive with me via the (too passive) driver, who annoyingly would not just drive off. I am not sure what it was all about (politics I assumed--and women alone are easier targets for abuse). Once he finally started up again, the driver said the man was "not Turkish."

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:30 pm

We stayed here: https://www.fourseasons.com/istanbul/

Don't stay if Justin Beiber happens to be staying at the same time.
Where else ya going?
We stayed in a fab place (way less expensive as well) in Cappadocia, and a very good Sheraton on the beaches near Izmir (GTI has a beach house just down the road).
Only place that wasn't great was when we were in paamakale.
Anyways if u are venturing outside of IST let me know.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:01 pm

I think I will probably head to Cappadocia, homerj. Originally I thought I was only going to have 5-6 days and so was just going to stay in Istanbul but with these tickets I've got 9 nights so I need to venture out a bit. Do you remember where you stayed in Cappadocia? Any advice on venturing outside of Istanbul?

Thanks Chip, if you can remember the name that would be great.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:26 pm

I will ask Marge, I'm a spaz.
However its one of the few places I ever gave a 5* rating to on TA.
I loved it, was one of those cave hotels, people who ran it where awesome, food was amazing and room was super cool, and it was like $CND 100 or $120/night (that was 5 years ago tho.
I will ask Marge, she will know and I will post....promise.
We pretty much loved all of Turkey, we did cappadocia, ephysys, antalya, beaches near izmir, and paamakale.....none were a disappointment and IST is in my top 5 cities I've ever visited.
next time we will charter a sail boat and do some cruising.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:46 pm

In 2012 I stayed near Taksim square, and I wouldn't do that again. Sultanahmet is way more interesting and in the middle of things. EVen though I like Galeta and Istiklal street is a must, I would still rather stay in SUltanahmet.

I walked around alone after dark a lot and felt really comfortable. But it was a long way to trek all the way back over to Taksim area. I think I took the streetcar which was quick and easy but again, would have rather not had to get all the way back over there. I suppose Galeta might be a nice compromise if for some reason you don't want to be in the middle of everything, as it's not as much of a trek back, and it's a great place to start out from in the morning with the view over the bridge and the city.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for that. It's helpful. I think I am fine with staying in Sultanahmet and will probably focus on finding something there.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:41 am

Did you know the four seasons was a prison before it's latest life as a hotel? Hali hotel on Klodfarer street was nice great breakfast close and the rooftop had a good view.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:48 am

Haha.

micvan, I found an old thread from almost 3 years ago when I was planning my trip back then and there is still some very helpful advice in it from you and others.

I'm thinking I will spread out my time between Istanbul, Pamukkale (the travertine terraces and Hierapolis) and Cappadocia. Maybe 2 nights in Istanbul, then overnight at Pamukkale, 2 or 3 nights in Cappadocia and the remaining 2/3 in Istanbul. The domestic flights are cheap.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:40 am

I spent just one night in Pamukkale, it was enough. Went there from Selcuk by train to Denizli, I think, then the bus. Selcuk (Ephesus) is really impressive. Domestic flights are cheap but the night bus to/from Istanbul is also good and means that you can leave late at night, arrive early in the morning to many places, so not wasting any time. Single females are never seated next to men. I slept well, but then I can sleep anywhere, pretty much.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:44 am

The city got bombed so you cancelled? Don't you understand that then would have been the safest time to go there? Stay in Sultanahmed, you will be close to everything,and if a bomb goes off you'll be able to catch the tram and metro back to the airport.FFS, the biggest worry now in Turkey is that self appointed dictator, and the expensive price of alcohol.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Istanbul

Post by 5waldos » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Consider Bursa also. Green Mosque and silk market and home of Iskender Kabob.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:38 pm

I've just decided I really want/must see Ephesus. That may mean I have to drop Cappadocia.

It's a short trip and I don't want to be on the go all the time or taking really long bus rides. I can save that for another time.

I'm sure I'll change my mind again and then again. Perhaps I'll drop Pamukkale instead and do Ephesus and Cappadocia. But I've always wanted to see those terraces.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:53 pm

I used to stay at a place on Klodfarer Caddesi which was called the Klodfarer or maybe Klotfarer. There is no hotel of that name anymore, but it is probably the same place that micvan mentions. Great location.

Trivia: Klotfarer Cad. is named for the French orientalist writer Claude Farrère, otherwise forgotten. Piyerloti Cad., not far away, is named for the better-known Pierre Loti.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:26 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:38 pm
I've just decided I really want/must see Ephesus. That may mean I have to drop Cappadocia.

It's a short trip and I don't want to be on the go all the time or taking really long bus rides. I can save that for another time.

I'm sure I'll change my mind again and then again. Perhaps I'll drop Pamukkale instead and do Ephesus and Cappadocia. But I've always wanted to see those terraces.
Very tough choices to make. You'll just have to go back again. Or extend. Or squash them all in - I'd be inclined to do that. Just because I'm greedy, hate the idea of missing out.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:01 pm

I loved staying in Sultanahmet and having all those sites so close. The Hagia Sofia was my fav, I spent much longer there than I expected. Loved it, such an amazing city.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Well, made my decision as to where I am and am not going. Will have to get back some other time to see Cappadocia. I'll do 3 nights in Istanbul then see Ephesus and then off to Pamukkale to see the travertine terraces and the Hierapolis ruins and maybe Cleopatra's pool if I have time, then an early flight back to Istanbul for a couple of days. I can't wait. I ordered my foreign money today and made all my hotel reservations.

I'm told (on the interwebs) to book my domestic flights from Turkey as they will be substantially cheaper that way. Does anyone have experience with that? Otherwise I could book them now but the 2 flights are about $100 each on-line booking from here and I am 'told' they are more like $10-$20 if I book from Turkey. Seems a bit odd.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 am

We drove everywhere so no help.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:20 am

northern_goddess wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 pm
Will have to get back some other time to see Cappadocia.
You will be back. Again and again. Turkey is amazing.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:41 am

Ephesus is really something. We stayed I think 3 full days. We used to go to the farmers market and get bread cheese tomatoes fruit. We inadvertently wandered into an area that was off limits to visitors at the site; the gate was open and there was no signage so we are innocent! The keepers came to check us out of course. I guess they do get looting I think from workers on the site; we visited some people for tea and were asked if we were interested in buying antiquities. Right I really need a long stint in a turkish jail!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Well I guess I am too late, this is place:

https://www.travelocity.ca/Cappadocia-H ... 00554fe2cc&

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks. Next time, homerj!

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:17 pm

Do try the Iskander Kebab in Istanbul (since you aren't going to Bursa) It is on the Asia side. Iskander Iskenderoglu ve Evlatlari 3.ve 4. Kusak. Yum- and Mr. Isander is often there.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:01 pm

Will do!

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:56 am

Try to get to the real place- so much better than the stuff you can get everyplace. Turkey is so wonderful- really an amazing place to visit.

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:27 am

I am sad that most foreigners do not leave the Sultanahmet area to get to know the real Istanbul.
Yes,Sultanahmet is the area where most of the historical sights are but there is an Istanbul beyond the Sultanahmet.
Almost every Turk you meet in this area makes his living from the tourist trade,Sultanahmet is not a residential area,almost nobody lives there,locals(Istanbul people) do not visit the bars/restaurants of this area,all business there is catered towards the tourist trade.
Istanbul is a huge city,not everyone is a carpet salesman and chasing the tourists.Be brave,discover Istanbul,meet the regular Turks who mind their own business not just the tourist trade.
One can’t go to pieces at the death of every foreigner. We’d all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.”Maggie Smith(Downton Abbey)

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 pm

I went to Pamukkale in 1988 and 2012. I'm sad to report that it has been largely ruined during that time. It was so trampled by tourists--the best pools crushed--that they diverted much of the water and created a cheezy man made set of pools that the unwashed masses can wash their feet in and descend the hill. I almost cried when I compared my recent pictures to my old ones.

In Istanbul don't miss the Chora Church/Kariye Museum by the city wall; one of the world's best preserved byzantine churches. Better mozaics than Hagia Sophia. A great day is to take a taxi there and then walk to the center after seeing it.

Here's my recommendation for a hotel. Great location near the Yeni Camii, especially for shopping and restaurants. $100-$150. Historic building. Great rooms. Cabs can't go all the way to it; you have to carry your bags a block or so.

http://www.regieottoman.com/en
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... 1&filter=7

If they don't have room I recommend this place which is nearby:

http://www.neorionhotel.com

If you want to splurge this is the best:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... anbul.html

Be careful about TripAdvisor. Most reviews for hotels in Istanbul are fake.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Where would you recommend a visitor stay and hang out in, GTI?

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:35 pm

if the weather is nice Ortaköy is a great place to hang out in the evening.A walk along the shores of Bosphorus is recommended by me,Bebek can be wonderful,full of cafes and restaurants and the shores along to walk by. Kadıköy which is on the Asian side is the place these days to hang out in the evening,the bars and cafes are full with the young locals.The area can be classified as the downtown Asian side,take the ferry to get there.
A lavish sunday brunch by the Bosphorus is a must if you can afford either at the Four Seasons Hotel Bosphorus or Çırağan Kempinski Hotel,or a more modest price range at the Aşşk Cafe also by the sea side (not a typo the place is called Aşkk Cafe) at KuruÇeşme.Take a taxi ,the taxi drivers know the place.
Spend some time with people watching and eating lunch at Nişantaşı even if you are not going to buy anything.It is a somewhat pricey but a lively shopping area of Istanbul.
Ceylan Intercontinental Hotel at Taxim has a great rooftop bar,do have a drink there just to watch Istanbul with a 360 degree view.
To stay is a more difficult matter because I do not know your price range.I would never stay at Sultanahmet Area.Divan at Taxim is nice hotel,Wyndam at Levent has a great location sandwiched by the shopping malls and the next door to Metro which is most convenient if you take into the consideration of notoriously busy Istanbul traffic.Also Şişli area has many decent hotels such as the Holiday Inn,Marriott,etc...I just love the Radisson Blu Pera,most of the time when I visit Istanbul I stay there ,rooms with superior Golden Horn views.,also very close to the Radisson Pera there is the Tepebaşı Marmara Hotel.The Hotel has a very popular rooftop restaurant called Mikla which serves fusion Turkish food with a magnificent roof view of Istanbul.
One can’t go to pieces at the death of every foreigner. We’d all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.”Maggie Smith(Downton Abbey)

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks for all that. I appreciate the suggestions.

I've now booked my hotels in Istanbul and one of them is the Neorion, one that Electrolyte recommended.

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:50 pm

A great place for baklava and desserts 1 block away from the Neorion is Hafiz Mustafa (though a Turkish friend swears the best baklava is gulluoglu karakoy across the bridge in Taxim; https://www.karakoygulluoglu.com/; it's also available at the airport, but not sure if it's the same).

There are lots of good restaurants nearby, including some higher end fish restaurants. The Han restaurant is a fun (who knows how genuine, but convincing anyway) Turkish experience: https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+H ... 28.9788676

Yeni Camii is of course right nearby at the base of the Galata bridge. A block or two west of that is the small and hidden Rustem Pasa Camii, which is cool and is surrounded by old narrow streets with old fashioned markets.

Right next to the Neorion is a shop sellling exotic Turkish chandeliers. We bought one and are happy with it.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:04 pm

How do you get that stuff home?