Lazy trip report: Asheville and surrounds

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Lazy trip report: Asheville and surrounds

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 pm

My first time in western North Carolina.

Some plans had to be adjusted due to the effects of heavy rains--WW rafting, SUPing, and worthwhile kayaking were out for a while. Water way too high. I did get in a kayak on a nice lake, as part of the Cold Mountain music fest. I think that was last weekend; kind of losing track.

Have done a mix of camping and Airbnbing. Hotels are very expensive.

I've had more work gig-related negotiating and so forth than I'd like, so have not been able to take off for a whole day or two without being near Wifi etc.

It's pretty much what I expected, but with more traffic and more snarling homeless people (mainly younger and white).

strife
Stew Ingredient

Re: Lazy trip report: Asheville and surrounds

Post by strife » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 pm

Asheville is disgustingly hipster. Restaurants there are great. My ex grew up in nearby eastern Tennessee, and we went there often.
I am Stalking you.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Re: Lazy trip report: Asheville and surrounds

Post by steveogolf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 pm

As a teenager I went on a "TeenTour" around the USA in the summertime, and we camped out (no tent) in the Smokey Mountains National Park of western North Carolina. Well, that night it poured rain and everyone got soaked. We spent the entire next day at a laundromat in Asheville, North Carolina getting out sleeping bags and clothes cleaned and dried out. So beware of summertime rains if you camp out.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.