Kenya

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Kenya

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 pm

May be flying to Nairobi soon (work). Trying to determine if I need malaria meds (ugh) and a new YF vacc--I had one about 10 years ago. I have looked at CDC's info. Seems that malaria is endemic in Nairobi. In practice, though, I want to know what people there for about 2 weeks have done.

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Re: Kenya

Post by 2wilzgood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Larium is a bad trip, man.
Don't eat the bad Larium.

Also, don't stay at The Iqbal.

And don't stay at The Iqbal when suffering malaria.

Been there, done that, thought I'd die.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Never had trouble with any malaria meds.

Last I read on YF WHO was deciding that once in a lifetime was good. But don’t know that many countries have caught up with that.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:47 am

Kenya looks at whether you've just come from a YF-endemic country, so I think I can skip it.

It just expired in January, but I would rather not put that in my body again.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am

Did you suffer any side effects?
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:10 am

Moethebartender wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am
I had the Yellow Fever shot at the same time as vaccs for typhoid and HepA, so I can't say what knocked me down.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 am

Don't take whatever 2Wilz took.

I kind of liked the Iqbal. There were worse places, that's for sure.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Way back in my clown pants days I decided that getting malaria would be better than the side effects that I was having from the Larium.
Besides whenever there is an outbreak it is all over the news on tv and radio even in the most 3rd world of places, especially in a big city like Nairobi .
So its up to you.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Of course there is the woman I know who had a last minute business trip to Africa (don't remember where) and thought I don't have time to get the srcip and it is just going to be a coupe of days. Got malaria and almost died due to complications.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Yikes.

If doxy works, I'll take that.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:29 pm

I would take something. This is a really rare occurrence but it shows it can still be deadly.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:10 am
Moethebartender wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am
I had the Yellow Fever shot at the same time as vaccs for typhoid and HepA, so I can't say what knocked me down.
Thanks, I was curious because I was supposed to get that jab for the Peruvian Amazon, but I didn't and they never checked. I'm considering a few other destinations that also allegedly require it...

I've got to believe that you can do better than larium for malaria these days; that shit wasn't even recommended a decade ago.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:20 pm

You could always do better than Larium.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 pm

I just had the new YF jab. Can’t get back into the country without it if you go to Peru. The new one is for life so now I’m covered for that and Hep A. Go to a travel doctor - you may already have had that one.

But I worry about Lariam. A friend of mine took it and the psychosis was bad enough that she had to cut her trip short. 10 years later she told me she still saw things in shadows of the corner of her eye. She’d learned that they weren’t real and ignored them but she still saw them.

I googled it whilst writing my reply.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/theconv ... osis-59928

“... “induce psychiatric symptoms such as anxiety disorders, paranoia, depression, hallucinations and psychosis”. It also stated that these symptoms should be considered the first signs of more serious problems.

In most cases, for holiday or business travel, mefloquine is now considered a drug of last resort, only to be used when the other alternatives such as chloroquine, proguanil and doxycycline or a combination of them would be ineffective in an area where mosquitoes have developed resistance.

Mefloquine must not be used for malaria prevention in patients with active, or a history of, psychiatric disturbances such as depression, anxiety or schizophrenia.”

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:18 am

I had my Lariam hell trip back in the mid-90s. Never again.

I can get doxy. Come to think of it, though, I felt like I was getting malarial symptoms when on doxy a couple of years ago. Now that my internal body temp regulator is starting to act up, I won't know whether it's peri-menopause symptoms, drug side effects, or malaria. #allthree

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:20 am

Bastet wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 pm
I just had the new YF jab. Can’t get back into the country without it if you go to Peru. The new one is for life so now I’m covered for that and Hep A. Go to a travel doctor - you may already have had that one.
May have had which one--are you referring to Hep A or YF?

I'm covered for Hep A. I need Hep B though.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:33 am

YF. My doctor said that the ‘new’ jab is for life and came around 10 years ago. So you might have had that one. I last had it in 2004 which was too long ago. But now I’m set for life.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 am

The more I read about Lariam I realise I probably can’t take it. On top of wha to already posted, from the CDC website:

“In addition, people with seizure disorders (epilepsy) and certain heart conditions (irregular heartbeat and conduction problems) should not take mefloquine.”

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:44 am

I took Doxy several times, including when I went to Kenya. The side effects that are known is a sensitivity to sun (burn easily), and some people have stomach issues. nothing that would feel like malaria symptoms. The main disadvantage is the need to take it for a full month after leaving the malaria zone.

I've been taking malarone the past several trips - you only have to start it the day before arriving in the malaria zone, and for a week after you leave, and it has very few or no side effects. I've always felt completely normal on it. It's expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it, though.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:07 am

Scrubb wrote:I took Doxy several times, including when I went to Kenya. The side effects that are known is a sensitivity to sun (burn easily), and some people have stomach issues. nothing that would feel like malaria symptoms. The main disadvantage is the need to take it for a full month after leaving the malaria zone.

I've been taking malarone the past several trips - you only have to start it the day before arriving in the malaria zone, and for a week after you leave, and it has very few or no side effects. I've always felt completely normal on it. It's expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it, though.
Husband took Dox in Peru and I took Malarone. Neither one of us had any side effects.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:26 pm

I took doxycycline in Indonesia. It made me really photosensitive and gave me nightmares, so I quit. Went to Kenya (Nairobi and Mombasa area) at the end of 2016, didn't take anything. I didn't notice mosquitos in Nairobi.
I am Stalking you.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 pm

I'll obtain Malarone

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:29 am

Larium I believe is easier than malarone in every single way except that it has the hallucinatory side effects. But other than that it's advantages are you take it 1x per week instead of every week, you can start it a few days before the trip instead of a couple weeks before, and a couple of others I don't remember. My family took it the first couple times we came to this area, no issues.

If you're going to be staying at a nice hotel with AC and working all day in an office, you might consider skipping the drugs.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:41 am

Just read the rest of the posts. If you had a bad experience with Larium once, then yeah, take something else if your going to partake.

I try to improve my chances of survival by making sure I don't get any mosquito bites. Means socks and long pants/shirt at dawn and dusk. Sleep under the net. And most importantly, look both ways before crossing the street.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm

I expect to be in A/C in a nice hotel most of the time, but if I do get some downtime, I would like to get out and about.

You don't have to take Malarone ahead of time--just one day. I think you're thinking of doxy and taking that for a month after.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm
I expect to be in A/C in a nice hotel most of the time, but if I do get some downtime, I would like to get out and about.

You don't have to take Malarone ahead of time--just one day. I think you're thinking of doxy and taking that for a month after.
I stayed at Ole Sereni my last two nights in Nairobi. It abuts Nairobi National Park, which means you can see giraffes while having brunch on the patio. Worth it.
I am Stalking you.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:28 am

Don't listen to Felix, doesn't know shit. I would recommend either the New Kenya Lodge on River Road, or the Iqbal on Latema Road.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:23 am

I'm not on vacation.