Where in Mexico...

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Re: Where in Mexico...

Post by twodogs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 am

I was in La Paz for Día de Muertos last year then took the ferry and train to Chihuahua. If they drive you can fly directly into La Paz or into Cabo and take a bus up. It felt safe and I met one German lady who had taken the train down from Chihuahua with no issues.

There have been a few drug related killings but as far as I know tourists are left alone.

We haven't been for a couple of years but Mrs. Twodogs really likes Loreto and it would save the drivers a half a day.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 am

Driving from Canada to mexyin December will not be pleasant.
Better to get a house sitter or leave the pet with a friend
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm

It's easy enough to get to from Oaxaca.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 am
which hotel in Zipolite did you stay at, Felix? Do you remember?
No idea. We took a pesero from Puerto Escondido and crashed at some dude's place on the beach. Don't think it even had a name. When we weren't on the beach, we were chilled out in hammocks smoking pot or screwing.
I am Stalking you.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:28 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 pm
section8 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 pm
Mazatlan. It's not too far from the border, is connected to Baja by ferry, has great beaches and seafood, and the old town is pretty nice.
Mazatlan is Terrible. I say that having been there about 15 years ago and imagining it has gotten worse and not better.
That place you visited nearly two decades ago, and that you are re-inventing in your head? Yes, I suppose it's Terrible.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I get what you are saying. However, it was mostly Terrible because it was so full of tourists, expensive and a bit Spring-Breakish (drunken 20-something year-olds all over the place). If those things have improved with time, rather than gotten worse with time, than that's great but those aren't things that usually get better over time. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

I am very interested to hear about your experience there, since it is somewhere you recommended.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 pm

The tourists and party people were 10 miles north of the old town in the resort cluster. I stayed in a local hotel off a plaza, a few blocks from a beach with some seafood vendors. It was mostly just Mexicans and Travellers like me. The central market was surrounded by food carts, and the beachwalk was close by. I was there over Christmas and the entire city turned out for a huge block party.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:25 pm

1987?
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:16 pm

I said Oaxaca. I meant Puerto Angel. My bad. Sorry.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 am

Mazatlan was the place many of my undergraduate mates (and a host of other colleges/universities) went to back in the day in the early 80's. From their experiences, it would never be a place I would entertain going to especially given ALL the other places to go in Mexico. I guess I'm just not adventuresome. I did get down to Isla Mujeres (from sharing a redwood hottub recommendation on Orcas Island in '86), Cancun (for provisions), Tulum (I think Coba too), Chichen Itza, and Merida all back in '86...and of course heaps of places since then--Mazatlan wasn't, and isn't on a radar to this day.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).