Where in Mexico...

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Re: Where in Mexico...

Post by twodogs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 am

I was in La Paz for Día de Muertos last year then took the ferry and train to Chihuahua. If they drive you can fly directly into La Paz or into Cabo and take a bus up. It felt safe and I met one German lady who had taken the train down from Chihuahua with no issues.

There have been a few drug related killings but as far as I know tourists are left alone.

We haven't been for a couple of years but Mrs. Twodogs really likes Loreto and it would save the drivers a half a day.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 am

Driving from Canada to mexyin December will not be pleasant.
Better to get a house sitter or leave the pet with a friend
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm

It's easy enough to get to from Oaxaca.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 am
which hotel in Zipolite did you stay at, Felix? Do you remember?
No idea. We took a pesero from Puerto Escondido and crashed at some dude's place on the beach. Don't think it even had a name. When we weren't on the beach, we were chilled out in hammocks smoking pot or screwing.
I am Stalking you.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:28 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 pm
section8 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 pm
Mazatlan. It's not too far from the border, is connected to Baja by ferry, has great beaches and seafood, and the old town is pretty nice.
Mazatlan is Terrible. I say that having been there about 15 years ago and imagining it has gotten worse and not better.
That place you visited nearly two decades ago, and that you are re-inventing in your head? Yes, I suppose it's Terrible.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I get what you are saying. However, it was mostly Terrible because it was so full of tourists, expensive and a bit Spring-Breakish (drunken 20-something year-olds all over the place). If those things have improved with time, rather than gotten worse with time, than that's great but those aren't things that usually get better over time. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

I am very interested to hear about your experience there, since it is somewhere you recommended.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 pm

The tourists and party people were 10 miles north of the old town in the resort cluster. I stayed in a local hotel off a plaza, a few blocks from a beach with some seafood vendors. It was mostly just Mexicans and Travellers like me. The central market was surrounded by food carts, and the beachwalk was close by. I was there over Christmas and the entire city turned out for a huge block party.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:25 pm

1987?
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:16 pm

I said Oaxaca. I meant Puerto Angel. My bad. Sorry.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 am

Mazatlan was the place many of my undergraduate mates (and a host of other colleges/universities) went to back in the day in the early 80's. From their experiences, it would never be a place I would entertain going to especially given ALL the other places to go in Mexico. I guess I'm just not adventuresome. I did get down to Isla Mujeres (from sharing a redwood hottub recommendation on Orcas Island in '86), Cancun (for provisions), Tulum (I think Coba too), Chichen Itza, and Merida all back in '86...and of course heaps of places since then--Mazatlan wasn't, and isn't on a radar to this day.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Bump.

OK, sister found a beautiful villa on the beach outside Troncones, 30 minutes from Zihuatanejo. Please explain to me all the fun things there are to do in this area. Thanks.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Zihuatanejo is in Guerrero. Michoacán has the same advisory.

Mexico is not Majorca, nor even Miami.
Guerrero state – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers.

U.S. government employees are prohibited from travel to the entire state of Guerrero, including Acapulco.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm

2wilzgood wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am
Based on recent reports, your family should vacation in Santa Rosalia.

It's on Baja. All good.
You're a fucking retard. Tell us more about the weird creepiness of Santa Rosalia.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm
2wilzgood wrote:

It's on Baja. All good.
You're a fucking retard. Tell us more about the weird creepiness of Santa Rosalia.

Spreading the love again Moe?...you sad sack of shit.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Do not travel due to crime. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers.

U.S. government employees are prohibited from travel to the entire state of Guerrero, including Acapulco.
Why the snark? Do you really think I think Mexico and Majorca are similar? Or that this comment makes you look like an experienced traveller?

Thanks for the link. Fuck off for the rest.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Twig Munching Cunt wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Hump! Hump! Hump!
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:14 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm
Lost Soul wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Why the snark? Do you really think I think Mexico and Majorca are similar? Or that this comment makes you look like an experienced traveller?

Thanks for the link. Fuck off for the rest.
I've posted this link about ten times over the years to Mexico travelers with stars in their eyes.

So far, you're the first to thank me, belated though it was.

Usually it's just the "fuck off" part.

Yes, Mexico is like Disneyland.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:19 pm

I haven't travelled to Mexico in over 10 years so have never seen your link. I've also never been to Disneyland and have no plans to do so.

You'd think after being told to fuck off that many times you'd figure out a different way to get your information across. What is it about this thread that makes you think I have stars in my eyes?? You're just making shit up so you can feel superior.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:22 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:19 pm
You'd think after being told to fuck off that many times you'd figure out a different way to get your information across. What is it about this thread that makes you think I have stars in my eyes?? You're just making shit up so you can feel superior.
That's more like it. :roll:
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:44 pm

I hate it when 2 posters I like fall out...can't you two just kiss and make up?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:50 pm

I doubt the Laskan hermit has been to Mexico in the last decade either. Government travel recommendations tend to err on the side of caution. Not that there isn't violence in Mexico, obviously there is. However, you might wish to consider why a staunch republican like Losty might want to continually push the narrative about Mexicans being violent rapists and how Mexico is the most dangerous country in the world. It's all he hears on his right wing hate radio, and it fits his preconceived notions about them all being rapist criminals; but he probably assumes that some of them are nice people, I suppose.

I recently survived a trip to Mexico City, badass motherfucker that I am.

Display common sense, as you would anywhere else. Don't go all Lincolntarded and get involved in the drug scene in a foreign country. Chances are, you'll have a great time.

Felix can probably give you a lot of specifics about Zihuatanejo - he's posted about it on a few occasions. I think Pez has spent time there as well. It's the next place I'm planning on visiting when I get back to Mexico.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm willing to forgive and forget, if you can point out my snark in my first post, Lincoln.

Now my second post is snarky, I'll admit. But only after being told to fuck off.

Anyway, there is something about that link that always upsets people. At this point in the exercise, denial usually sets in, followed by some posts from recent Mexican travelers saying everything was fine...
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:50 pm
I recently survived a trip to Mexico City, badass motherfucker that I am.
Bless you, Moe.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:52 pm

When is the last time you visited? Are you particularly afraid of going there? If so, why?

ETA: Losty lives in the rape capital of Amerikkka. No wonder he's afraid to leave his igloo.

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:53 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm
2wilzgood wrote:

It's on Baja. All good.
Be that as it may, at least I'm not creepy you.

I spent 24 hours there nearly 15 years ago. It was an unattractive, failing company town with a sordid history and perhaps the least friendly folks on the peninsula. I had a great time cycling the length of Baja, but Santa Rosalia sticks out as the one shit hole exception. Perhaps it felt like home to you.
Santa Rosalía es una pequeña ciudad cuyo atractivo son las construcciones antiguas por los franceses que la habitaron, a la entrada una iglesia construida por el mismo que construyó la torre Eiffel. Su panadería ufff riquísimo el pan lugares para comer muy pocos les recomiendo TONKAS restaurante de carnes y hamburguesas algo bien, su clima faltan un calor sofocante pegajoso y para lo pequeño de la ciudad mucho maleante tengan cuidado con eso al visitarla.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:54 pm

A whole 24 hours?!?! No shit? How many of those hours were you sober? Or do we need to reduce that measurement to minutes? Creepy old drunk.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:54 pm
A whole 24 hours?!?! No shit? How many of those hours were you sober? Or do we need to reduce that measurement to minutes? Creepy old drunk.
Are you seriously trying to be the big traveller here Moe?

I'd bet my house that 2wilzgood has spent waaaaay longer than you on the road.

You suck....I wouldn't call you creepy though....you ain't that, but you are a wanker.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:52 pm
When is the last time you visited?
I took the boat to Boquillas del Carmen about 3.5 years ago. They were celebrating getting electricity in 2014. I was so impressed.
Are you particularly afraid of going there? If so, why?
I've done my time there. Let others have their fun.
ETA: Losty lives in the rape capital of Amerikkka. No wonder he's afraid to leave his igloo.
Excellent googoo reference.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Twig Munching Cunt wrote:Hump! Hump! Hump!
You're going to tire yourself right out, champ. Pace yourself. Surprised you're wife hasn't had you neutered yet, it might go a long way towards housebreaking you.

Psssttt... Losty:

Boo! Mexicans!

iLos Mexicanos están aqui, piel!

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Lets be friends |Moe....

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Psssttt... Losty:

Boo! Mexicans!

iLos Mexicanos están aqui, piel!
So I got the order reversed, snowgirl.

This time is was "I just got back from Mexico and everything was fine", followed by denial.

I look forward to conducting this experiment again next year.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 pm

I don't think it will take 365 days before you start whinging about Messicans again.

Boo!

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I went to Guerrero in 2015. A chilanga friend and I flew into Acapulco from DF, where I was working at the time. We took a taxi to Pie de la Cuesta, saw very little traffic on the highway that wasn't Mexican Army. The entire area was devoid of tourists, although no one bothered us. Michoacán is pretty dicey too. I wouldn't let typically hysterical State Department overwarnings put me off a place like Zihuatanejo though.
I am Stalking you.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:21 am

The worst thing Mexico could have done is arrest El Chapo. He was getting the murders under control. Now it's a free for all again, until the next El Chapo reaches the top.

You'll probably be OK in a self-contained resort hotel, snowgirl.

But crazy shit happens in Mexico. https://www.yahoo.com/news/4-killed-9-w ... 58607.html
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:22 am

Moethebartender wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 pm
I don't think it will take 365 days before you start whinging about Messicans again.

Boo!
You must know a lot of Mexicans. What were you, 30 when you met your first one?

Fascinating.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 am

We went to Zihuatanejo for our 1st anniversary 5ish years ago. It was lovely. I'd been there a few times before. I'd totally go back again. I can't believe it's on a list.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:09 am

pezworld wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 am
We went to Zihuatanejo for our 1st anniversary 5ish years ago. It was lovely. I'd been there a few times before. I'd totally go back again. I can't believe it's on a list.
State Department will issue a travel advisory over a fender-bender in Rome if a US citizen is involved.
I am Stalking you.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:01 am

We're going to the Yucatan in a few days and I'm driving.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 am

I have never had any problems in Mexico and go every year. If you plan on driving at night you might want to pick up some mouse ears at Disney just to be on the safe side.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Lost Soul and Moe have ruined my beloved thread. But I will persevere.

So, the new plan means ditching the dog and everybody flying like normal people do. My sister has found a beautiful villa near Trocones, outside Zihuatanejo. What I am asking is what is there to do around there besides lie on the beautiful beach and avoid being robbed at gunpoint?

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Ixtapa is utterly forgettable, but a day trip to Zihua can be rewarding. A beautiful setting on a protected bay, lots of spots dotted around the shore for a meal from a new perspective. Parking near the market is a problem, but the market is lively, standard Mexican style. I like Zihua, it feels lived in more than Pto Vallarta, Mazatlan, et al.

Otherwise, it is a very quiet stretch of coast heading north, given to surfers living cheap and not much else. If you're not a surfer, focus on relaxing.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:07 pm

If you can swing it, you should do a couple of days in DF on the way in or out.
I am Stalking you.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:04 pm

I just wanted to say that I am sorry that no one is being helpful. Unfortunately I've never been there so I can't be helpful either.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Bill Barilko
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bill Barilko » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:02 am

snowgirl wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:22 pm
..... My sister has found a beautiful villa near Trocones, outside Zihuatanejo. What I am asking is what is there to do around there besides lie on the beautiful beach and avoid being robbed at gunpoint?
Fishing for Sailfish is about it*-maybe visiting the lagoons to view birdlife.

Not much for ruins in the area I've heard some work has been done to the one outlier site but it's not much-Rob's Zihua site probably has some info.

*even if you don't fish you should try & go for a boat ride the ocean in those parts is gorgeous-any pangero (boatman) on the beach can take you to a local cove for snorkeling/maybe catch a small Tuna on the way to BBQ on the beach-Good Times!
Nexus the criminally insane whore/backstabber wrote:You missed the porn site I set up in your name....Shall I send the link to everyone?

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:24 am

Bill Barilko wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:02 am
maybe visiting the lagoons to view birdlife
http://www.barra-potosi.com

I thought about mentioning it, but it's a haul from Troncones, moderately attractive, and only a nominal interest.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:39 am

snowgirl wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:22 pm
So, the new plan means ditching the dog and everybody flying like normal people do. My sister has found a beautiful villa near Trocones, outside Zihuatanejo. What I am asking is what is there to do around there besides lie on the beautiful beach and avoid being robbed at gunpoint?
Make a game out of who can catch the biggest or most colorful sea snake while wearing mouse ears.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:25 pm

BTW, no one has ever been robbed at gunpoint in Mexico while they were wearing mouse ears.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 pm

I guess Zipolite is pretty cleaned up. I remember aggressive drug dealers and wierd cops with guns sticking out of their belt buckles and mirrored sun glasses.... Nice place otherwise

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:11 am

pezworld wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 am
It wasn't, five years ago.

The list is constantly changing. The latest iteration is from a month ago.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am

BTW, murder in Mexico is reaching a new high, and is happening in formerly safe places like the DF and Guadalajara.

They can either legalize drugs or wait until a new kingpin is crowned and then leave him alone.
The Jalisco state attorney general’s office has not commented, but an official in the office said the trailer was properly refrigerated and never “abandoned”.

The office also disputed press reports the trailer contained 157 corpses, with sources telling local media the number was closer to 100.

Jalisco’s general secretary Roberto López told local media that the state’s morgue had been overwhelmed by a surge in deaths, adding that a new morgue should be finished in a month and a half. “When it is built, these bodies will be transferred,” he said.

The row over the trailer – which erupted as the country celebrated its national day on Sunday – was yet another reminder of the grim toll from the country’s decade-long drug war.

Mexico’s homicide rate hit a record high in 2017 with 29,168 murders registered. The country recorded 2,599 homicides in July 2018, its most murderous month since 1997, when Mexico started keeping such statistics.

It was not the first time that the bloodletting has been so severe that local morgues have run out of space – similar incidents have occurred in the opium heartlands of Guerrero.

But the gruesome episode in Guadalajara has underlined how violence has spread to all corners of the country. The surrounding Jalisco state has deteriorated rapidly in recent months: 15 people were injured in May when a gun battle erupted in the city centre after a brazen assassination attempt on the state’s employment secretary.

In March, three film students in the Guadalajara suburb of Tonalá disappeared after unwittingly filming property associated with a drug trafficker when they were working on a college project.

Much of the violence in the region is the work of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) which has disputed territories across the country – especially those controlled by the rival Sinaloa Cartel, whose former leader Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán was extradited to the United States last year.

More recently, CJNG has itself splintered into rival factions. In July, US and Mexican officials announced that had raised the reward to $1.56m for information leading to the arrest of the CJNG boss Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as “El Mencho”.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... of-corpses
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!