Thai Airways, Air China, All Nippon?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 am

Has anyone flown on any of these? Can you give me your impressions? I'm potentially looking at booking business class points tickets to Indonesia and these are the 3 choices I have for a 9 hour leg of the flight.

Thanks!
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Re: Thai Airways, Air China, All Nippon?

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:15 am

Ok, I've dug around a bit more and these are the options:

TO DESTINATION:
Air Canada - 789 Class I OR Boeing 777-300 Class I

Air China - Airbus A330-300 Class I
All Nippon - 789 Class I
Thai Airways - Airbus A380 Class O

RETURN TRIP
Singapore Airlines - Boeing 777-200 Class I
Air China - 789 Class I
Thai Airways - 788 Class I

Air Canada - Boeing 777-300 Class I

Bleh... it's such a long trip.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:23 am

I would say in quality of airlines, it would go this way:

1. Thai Airways
2. All Nippon
3. Air China

Although it has been quite a while since I flew on any of those; maybe the last time Nippon for the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

What a whiner! Sheee-it, just got off a 4 am wake up, 2 hr flight (with arriving et al), then 2 hr wait for a 13 hour flight, yesterday. I guess I could say I could feel your pain, but I ain't gonna! :D ;)
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks, that's helpful. I was going to say 2008 wasn't that long ago... but it was!

I hope you recover from your jetlag soon.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:32 am

Not Air China unless it's unbelievably cheaper. The Mainland carriers still can't match the service of their regional competitors. They try and fail miserably. Even if their hard product is catching up, their soft product lags far behind. Another fake Mainland copy that can't match the original.
1. Singapore 2. ANA 3. Thai 4. Air Canada 62. Air China

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:39 am

Haha. That's good to know.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:11 am

Air China is known to crash. I’ve been on the other two, which are fine.

Be very careful with domestic flights in Indonesia.

erkat
Stew Ingredient

Post by erkat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:39 am

Flew ANA last year - loved them. Not that it will matter for you, but hands down they have the best allergy policy of any airline I have ever used. Great service and lovely staff.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:59 am

well, here is my two cents' worth.

first note: avoid air china. do not fly them unless you want to ruin your vacay. transiting PEK or anywhere in china is just totally fucking stupid. anywhere in china is never an option under any circumstances.

second note: AC? i mean, like, really? you have options on many other great airlines. pass up on AC and fly someone else.

for the TO: your only option is ANA (NH). i see "i" class, so i assume this is biz class, right? (my comments here only pertain to biz travel). if you have the means to upgrade to thai first class on the A380, then that is your only option. with TG first you have access to their swank first class TG lounge in BKK. plan for a long layover in BKK to take full advantage of this TG first lounge. if you cannot upgrade on TG, then NH is your only option. NH has great lounges in NRT and HND - if you transit there.

for the FROM: definitely SQ. but note that SQ has many 777-200s with recliner biz seats. not flat. SQ has other 777-200s with flat seats. even with an SQ recliner seat, the SQ service will win you over. plus, you must allow extra transit time in SIN to visit the SQ silver kris lounge @ SIN T3 (and not their lounges in the other SIN terminals). a distant second choice is the TG/thai flight. their 788 has flat seats. but, for an overall super experience, go with SQ all the way.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks Cummy. As always, you are very helpful. The AC leg isn't optional on these flights. It's the other ones where I have some latitude to make some choices. I'll have to figure this out and make a decision soon if I'm going to get business class seats at all on points.

And to everyone else, I got the message loud and clear that China Air is not an option I should be considering. :D

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Agree with Cummy you will also waste time as they make you go thru customs in Shanghai or Beijing even if u are just transiting.
Flew them once never again.
To me the soft product is secondary to the lie flat bed and config.
I like pods so would choose that before anything else, so just cuz SQ's service is better I'd still pick a lie flat over just a recline.
All things being equal SQ 's soft product is best, I actually like Thai's better than ANA's, which is slightly better than AC's.
But I can have a good meal anywhere to me its all about the bed.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 pm

If I've never mentioned it, I friggin love Indonesia, btw, but I have a sense by Indonesia you probably mean Bali (which is still great in its own right).

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 pm
And to everyone else, I got the message loud and clear that China Air is not an option I should be considering. :D
well, now that you mention it... china airlines is also to be avoided. china airlines is a taiwanese airline hq'd in taipei. fly them only if you like getting a less than mediocre (or totally sucky) experience.

air china is the airline based in PEK. air china is not the same as china airlines. their ONLY similarity is that each of these should be avoided at all costs. air china will guarantee a totally sucky experience.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:35 pm

It will be a solo trip (since I've broken up with the boyfriend) so yes, I will probably go back to Ubud. I've been there before and am familiar with it. It's comfortable to me. Not sure if I'm up for an adventure right now as opposed to some hot weather and pampering. The other option is to hit Ubud for a few days and then perhaps join some friends elsewhere in Indonesia. They aren't clear on their plans yet.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:43 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:35 pm
I've broken up with the boyfriend
sorry to hear that, noggers.

so you say he’s available then, huh?..... :o :lol:

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Hehe. He is! :)

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:35 pm
It will be a solo trip (since I've broken up with the boyfriend) so yes, I will probably go back to Ubud. I've been there before and am familiar with it. It's comfortable to me. Not sure if I'm up for an adventure right now as opposed to some hot weather and pampering. The other option is to hit Ubud for a few days and then perhaps join some friends elsewhere in Indonesia. They aren't clear on their plans yet.
It sounds like you are taking the Eat, Pray, Love route. Ubud is always nice for a few days. Indeed, outside of Bali and the Gilis, Indonesia isn't always the easiest to travel in, but it is pretty safe (except for the transport).

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 pm
It sounds like you are taking the Eat, Pray, Love route.
Don't even...

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:46 pm

I would be more interested in the flight schedules, especially the scheduled time of ARRIVAL at your destination in Indonesia. In my opinion the earlier the arrival the better.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:47 pm

cummy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 pm
northern_goddess wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 pm
well, now that you mention it... china airlines is also to be avoided. china airlines is a taiwanese airline hq'd in taipei. fly them only if you like getting a less than mediocre (or totally sucky) experience.

air china is the airline based in PEK. air china is not the same as china airlines. their ONLY similarity is that each of these should be avoided at all costs. air china will guarantee a totally sucky experience.
Agree if u are going to fly a Taiwanese airline EVA is your only choice.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 am

Air China international is fine. Better than the US carriers, which admittedly isn't saying much. I haven't flown Intl on the other two, so can't offer a comparison.

All domestic carriers in China offer about the level of service you'd expect on a greyhound bus of course.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:11 am
Air China is known to crash. I’ve been on the other two, which are fine.

Be very careful with domestic flights in Indonesia.
Yes. It was remarkable how casual Merpati was. I flew them from Maumere to Denpasar. En route, the captain took the plane on a figure-eight around Kelimutu, seemingly on a whim.
I am Stalking you.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm still undecided about where to go.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 am

^^^ hmmm. the rule is: if you see SQ award space, you do not think and you do not hesitate. you grab it immediately. SQ will open econ award space (maybe, or more likely NEVER) to star alliance partners. SQ never opens up longhaul biz or first to anyone but their own members, but even then, no.

here is your SQ 777. or maybe not ... because you didn't act fast enough :o

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Small threadjack--I'm flying for work, and the options the assigned travel agency gave me were Ethiopian, Qater, and Emirates. I thought of cummy, as one does, and said "but Delta status!"
See, my Silver Med status is under threat for 2019. So Delta it is. Unfortunately, it appears I am only upgrade-eligible for the DTW-AMS outbound trip. KLM is operating a lot of the other flights. Will my generous baggage allotment carry over to those KLM flights?

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:53 pm

I’ve never flown Thai, so I would say ANA. It’s known as the best quality for price airline in the business. Japanese service! I think they might even still have decks of cards! We did an ANA 787 from Tokyo to LA with the kids, and we felt better when we got off than when we got on!

Air China felt very efficient. Gruffly efficient. Most efficient check-in EVER, even behind a junior high school field trip. Air China also has a good safety record, it’s China Air that has a bad rep. But, the planes were worn, the food was meh, and the beer was warm. They were dirt cheap too. Like $2000 for 4 seats from Tokyo to NYC.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm
I thought of cummy, as one does

:o :o :lol: :lol:
Chip_Oatley wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm
See, my Silver Med status is under threat for 2019. So Delta it is. Unfortunately, it appears I am only upgrade-eligible for the DTW-AMS outbound trip. KLM is operating a lot of the other flights. Will my generous baggage allotment carry over to those KLM flights?
yes, delta and its fellow skyteam partners (of which klm is a member) will all recognize your skyteam status ... for boarding priority, baggage allowance, lounge admittance, etc. it works rather smoothly with skyteam (as opposed to star alliance and oneworld).

a few months ago i flew DTW-AMS. i don't have access to an airline schedule right now (my stupid client blocks travel access. like wtf). but DL had a 777 and a brand spanking new A350 doing DTW-AMS and departing within one hour of each other. upgrade tip: if you can upgrade, you will have a better chance on the 777 - which is older. your upgrade chance is a lot lower on the A350. why? it's brand spanking new, and everyone wants to try it. so DL holds back a lot of biz seats so that pax can purchase the seats. DL doesn't want to give away the very nice new product right now. DL wants you to pay for it. and... the A350 biz seat comes with a door; you can close the door for privacy. yes, a door! but if by chance they say they can upgrade you NOW on the a350, do it. do not think about, do not hesitate, do not pass go, do not collect $200 ... grab that upgrade space now.

oh ... when i say upgrade, i mean from econ to biz. delta also refers upgrading from economy to 'premium economy', or economy to 'comfort plus'. go for biz.

the a350 will have premium economy which is their brand new seat and service and is only available on the new a350.

the 777 will have comfort plus, which is similar to economy-plus on united. it is nothing special. nothing special at all. dl has comfort plus on all other DL aircraft.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:13 pm

ok. for the summer it looks like DL has 3 daily nonstops DTW-AMS. the times are approx 4.30pm, 6.30pm and 10.30pm. the first flight is the a350. the other two are a330.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:48 pm

cummy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 am
^^^ hmmm. the rule is: if you see SQ award space, you do not think and you do not hesitate. you grab it immediately. SQ will open econ award space (maybe, or more likely NEVER) to star alliance partners. SQ never opens up longhaul biz or first to anyone but their own members, but even then, no.

here is your SQ 777. or maybe not ... because you didn't act fast enough :o
I'm sure you are right and the seats are gone. I just can't seem to commit that far in advance. The mood will strike me again in a few weeks and I'll either just push "purchase" or go through this all over again several week later.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 pm

cummy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:13 pm
ok. for the summer it looks like DL has 3 daily nonstops DTW-AMS. the times are approx 4.30pm, 6.30pm and 10.30pm. the first flight is the a350. the other two are a330.
DL136 8:34 pm, AMS-NBO. It's the 330. It's crowded; I'll be lucky to get upgraded to Comfort+. I have yet to to upgraded to Biz on Delta based on my status.

The other flights are KLM. Will I stand a chance of Delta-related upgrades on a quiet flight?

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:13 pm

on DL as a silver, you have access to comfort + 24 hours in advance - so at time of check-in. this is free. no certs or miles are needed for this.

on KLM you should also have access to their comfort + 24 hours in advance.

or, you might get lucky and at the time of DL check-in, then you can select your DL and KLM comfort + seats at the same time.
northern_goddess wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:48 pm
I just can't seem to commit
yeah, i totally get it. i have commitment issues too :o :lol: :lol:

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks!