Where to stop between Vienna and Cesky Kurmlov

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Where to stop between Vienna and Cesky Kurmlov

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:01 pm

I am looking at taking a private shuttle between Vienna and Cesky Krulov in July.

We can add some stops (up to 3) on the trip. So, for those who know, which of the below would make your list and why?
Melk
Hluboká nad Vltavou
Klosterneuburg
Krems an der Donau
Linz
Rožmberk
Budweiser Budvar ( I am beer drinker but my wife isn't so I am not sure of this one unless there is something other than the beer)

Realize that these would be brief stops along the way, not time for major tours or walking.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Where to stop between Vienna and Cesky Kurmlov

Post by DCComic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:11 pm

There's nothing en-route that I'd shorten my time in Vienna to see but Linz is quite pleasant if you're determined to break the journey.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:11 pm

I have wanted to go to Melk for quite a while. But I haven't been there or anywhere on that list.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:16 pm

This is on the trip from Vienna to Cesky Krumlov so the only shortening of time in Vienna will be by an added couple of hours. Thanks to both of you for your votes. Maybe I should have done a pole?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Stan, I know that route quite well, and I recommend spending some time in the Wachau region (the beautiful 30 kms stretch between Krems a/D and Melk).
Just stop in Krems, explore it a little, or skip it altogether, then climb a hill with a romantic ruin on it in one of the picturesque villages up the river (I recommend Duernstein), have some apricot brandy and poppy seed cake, dip your toes in the Donau at one of the beaches, or just stroll its narrow streets and alleys.
Spend the rest of your free time in Melk and its monastery. You won’t regret it, I promise.
Last edited by rezuar on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:24 pm

rezuar wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:23 pm
Stan, I know that route quite well, and I recommend spending some time in the Wachau region (the beautiful 30 kms stretch between Krems a/D and Melk).
Just stop in Krems, explore it a little, or skip it altogether, then climb a hill with a romantic ruin on it in one of the picturesque villages up the river (I recommend Duernstein), have some apricot brandy and poppy seed cake, dip your toes in the Donau at one of the beaches, or just stroll its narrow streets and alleys.
Spend the rest of your free time in Melk and its monastery. You won’t regret it, I promise.
Rezuar, Thanks so much. I really appreciate your input.

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:49 am

rezuar wrote:
Posts like this are the reason I still love this place.
I heard that you like the bad girls. Honey, is that true?

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:22 am

Lulu wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:49 am
rezuar wrote:
Posts like this are the reason I still love this place.
Lulu, the Wachau actually much better than I made it sound.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:57 pm

rezuar wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:22 am
Lulu, the Wachau actually much better than I made it sound.
Rezuar,

Thank you. Reservations have been made for a private shuttle with a drive through the Wachau Valley. When the time comes I will post some pictures.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Tue May 01, 2018 5:34 am

Excellent!
Enjoy your stay in my neck of the woods, Stan. :)

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Aren't the two rivers mentioned the ones we call the Moldau and the Danube? My guess would be that places on a river might be rather scenic, and that guess may be borne out by rezuar's suggestions about the first of the two.

Edit. I don't like rezuar's claiming the area as her neck of the woods! If you shout out my name loud enough, some of my relatives there may answer. My brother and sister-in-law were over there some years ago, and when he came back he said one of the joys of the trip was that people had no trouble pronouncing our surname.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Tue May 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Avoid Luftenberg. Dull, dull,dull.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue May 01, 2018 6:59 pm

I am sure if I go around shouting "NorthAmerican" it will not brand me as an ugly American at all.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue May 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Stan, tell me, by PM or otherwise, about this private shuttle, please.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Tue May 01, 2018 9:35 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:59 pm
I am sure if I go around shouting "NorthAmerican" it will not brand me as an ugly American at all.
But you have to pronounce it as a Czech would, Stan; then they'd smile and embrace you, I'm sure.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed May 02, 2018 11:54 am

Severni' America...got it.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu May 03, 2018 11:27 am

Severní Američan it is, in fact. ;)

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Thu May 03, 2018 3:36 pm

rezuar wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:27 am
Severní Američan it is, in fact. ;)
See, Stan? I told you they get it right!

Your list of possible stop-offs during your trip included Hluboká nad Vltavou and Krems an der Donau. I asked whether those rivers were the ones we know in English as the Moldau and the Danube. This morning, I woke with a Eureka! moment, realizing just as I opened my eyes that I'd made an error, and that my sleeping brain had corrected it. "The Vltava isn't the Modlau; it's the Vistula!" Nope, it's the Moldau after all. A quick check with Google told me that there's a short circuit in my sleeping brain.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu May 03, 2018 3:50 pm

If I think of calling out your name I will let you know the result, but I probably own't think of it.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu May 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Aaaactually... if you plan on calling out NA’s name you should use the vocativ ie Severní Američane!

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sat May 05, 2018 7:24 pm

I think I stayed in Hluboká nad Vltavou, if there's a castle there.

It was a slightly bizarre but positive experience - a very sweet old lady on the train recommended it as a nicer place to stay than... erm, forget the name of the larger town nearby. Cesky Bu_______ something?

So, I got off the train and started wandering in search of the hotel she'd mentioned. A guy in a Skoda stopped to offer me a lift - can't remember if we spoke English or French together. He was a teacher. Dropped me off at a "sports hotel" that had a huge long line of people waiting to register. There was maybe a game or something in town that they were there to see. They all absolutely insisted that I go to the front of the line - simply wouldn't allow me to wait at the back of the line. I got a single room for the grand price of $7. With a TV.

The town was picturesque and I enjoyed the castle grounds. There weren't many restaurants or many choices of what to eat (this was 1992 I think) and nothing to do in the evening. THe people were sooo kind.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot