Oman- what do you think?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Oman- what do you think?

Post by 5waldos » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 am

A number of you have been, some of you may be there as I type. I want to know all about it- what would we do as tourists? (or travelers, if you are of the mind). Keeping in mind that we are old coots not up to long hikes in the desert or such. And Pictures Please!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: Oman- what do you think?

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 am

I've never been. But the Sunnis aren't psychotic (they have their own non-murderous sect of Sunni), there are big mountains in the NE, green mountains in the SW, giant dunes in the empty quarter, and a pretty cool town in Muscat. I think ex-pat lives there.

I would go, because it's probably all going to go tits up after the gay dictator dies.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:29 am

Good start- it was Ireland or Oman this year, at least I think. Didn't realize that ex-pat was in Oman although don't know where I thought he (he?) was.

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient

Post by RainbowFrizz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Search for a thread by The Macedonian. I seem to remember a detailed account of a camping trip that he took to Oman, with some advice for others who wanted to travel there.
"Ominous Spiritus" - Gowan

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 am

Just saw a Tony Bourdain episode about Oman (sorry, that's all I got) and it super didn't sell me on it. Meh. I'd go to the land of the posh socks instead, probably.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 am
Just saw a Tony Bourdain episode about Oman (sorry, that's all I got) and it super didn't sell me on it. Meh. I'd go to the land of the posh socks instead, probably.
Thanks- will look it up. We saw a travel documentary last fall that made it look very interesting. Don't remember where so I will have to search out that one too- maybe it wouldn't look as interesting now.

Xerius
Stew Ingredient

Post by Xerius » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 am

I've been to Muscat, though only on a very brief visit. We had just enough time to take in the old souq in Mutrah (where we got stuck in torrential rain) the evening we arrived, then a few hours to check out the opera house and the old town the next day after visiting international schools. Omanis are wonderful people - very friendly and welcoming, and nowhere near as obsessed with bling and colorful LED lights as their neighbors are. I found it the most attractive and interesting country of the Arabian Peninsula (though I haven't been to Yemen, for obvious reasons). The topography helps a lot to give it a different feel compared to UAE, Qatar, and the like, and Old Muscat almost has a European atmosphere to it.

Omanis rave about Salalah down in the southwest, mostly because of the greenery that dominates it thanks to the summer monsoon. Nizwa and the Jebel Shams seem to get good reviews as well.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:44 am

Klara is there right now.
The rich get richer, the poor get the picture, the bombs never hit you when you're down so low.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 am

Moethebartender wrote:

Fascinating travel advice there bozo.. a TV show is about the closest you ever get to most countries.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:12 am

quality post
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 am
Moethebartender wrote:

Fascinating travel advice there bozo.. a TV show is about the closest you ever get to most countries.
Hey you dumb fucking cunt, you really didn't need to PM me (again). I'm sure the OP appreciates your post here though. Have you ever provided useable advice to anyone here? Everything about you sucks, you twig munching cunt. For someone who has allegedly been to 3863 countries, your ability to advise others seems a bit lacking.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:20 pm

So....your travel advice here is "I watched something on TV about it, I wasn't impressed"...?

Never actually been but the Discovery Chanel said it was crap....stick to the day job bozo.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Oh and its 98 countries...i doubt you've been to even 8.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 pm

You've now made three posts on a thread about a country that you haven't even watched a TV show about, you twig munching cunt. 98 countries, yet he's never offered anyone any advice or provided any tips. What a useless stoner cunt you are.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:21 pm

say it straight. dont hold back moe
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Lincoln/Hatter cunts = 5 posts, no content. Actually, it's 30K+ posts of no content, but who's counting, eh?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 pm

wash your mouth out moe.

5 c#nts in 3 posts!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:56 pm

I always thought the food and travel parts of this forum were where we pretended to be normal functioning adults.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 pm
You've now made three posts on a thread about a country that you haven't even watched a TV show about, you twig munching cunt. 98 countries, yet he's never offered anyone any advice or provided any tips. What a useless stoner cunt you are.
I've offered loads of advice about places, I made posts about Central America for Flora and Andrea1...posts about Berlin,Madeira,Krakow,St Vincent...all in the last year.

I've read nothing from you because you don't travel Moe....its as simple as that,a subscription to National Geographic magazine doesn't make you traveler.

Arguing aside Moe, you should get out there mate and see some of the world its good for the soul and the spirit...you seem tense.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 pm

You've made loads of posts about getting stoned away from home while putting your family at risk. You ought to try actually learning more about a destination than your odds of scoring some mota, you dumb cunt. I've gotten more out of my travels than you have just as I get more out of life than you ever will, you sad little loser. Suck on a twig, you utterly useless cunt. Four posts on this thread, nothing about Oman. You fuckwit. You don't get a stamp in your passport for humping my leg, you tedious little bitch.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 pm

Now i'm starting to think i'm getting to you Moe and i don't want that,lets agree to disagree....I'm off to Riga in 5 weeks time,what TV travel documentary will you be watching come Easter?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Five posts on this thread from you now, not a single one of them about Oman. Why are you still on this thread, you leghumping twig munching cunt?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 pm
Five posts on this thread from you now, not a single one of them about Oman. Why are you still on this thread, you leghumping twig munching cunt?
50 Op's on this page of the travel branch.

Op's started by me 9

Op's started by Moe?...0

Planning any trips this year Moe or is it a year of Armchair Travel for you (Again) :lol:

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Six posts on this thread, nothing about Oman. Do you even have any idea where it is, fuckwit? When is the last time you learned anything about a place before you went there? Learned any language? Did anything other than look into how difficult it would be to score some ganja? Never, right?

So, shall we move on to discuss your old lady's willingness to fuck anyone that isn't you, since you've nothing to contribute to the OP?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Ahhh so, you've got nothing planned then?..

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Planned? I've got veal parmigiana planned for dinner. Enjoy your twigs and random leaves you utterly useless cunt. I'm off to Boston again in two weeks, I'll be sure to note all the best places for lobster for you. They've legalized pot there, so you might want to plan a visit.

Seven posts, and not a word about Oman. You dumb fucking cunt.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Eight posts from you dude and no advice about Oman other than you saw a TV programme about it...hardly Tony Wheeler are you?

Boston you say?...oohh check you the hard core traveler !

Look inot the history of that place whilst you are there and you'll see its named after Boston, Lincolnshire, I posted a pic last summer when i was there and VinnyD was all over it like a fly on a turd.....more evidence of my superiority over you.

Domestic travel wont cheer you up Moe...you need to step out of your comfort zone and see a different culture/language/way of life...go on,you can do it,i'm rooting for you...heck i'll even research it for you,you pick a place and your ol' mate Lincoln with help you get out into the big wide world.

Genuine offer.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Still nothing about Oman, eh? Shocking. Oh well.

So, when the old lady is fucking around on you, who do you suspect she's fucking? I mean, realistically, anyone she choses would be a major upgrade, but I'm sure you've thought about this more than a bit. Who do you figure it is that is getting the pussy that you no longer are?

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 am

Are you going to post anything about Oman, Moe? Because so far you've only posted about, and to, Lincoln on this travel thread.
Pass the wine...

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am

Miss! Miss!

Lincoln started it.

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:56 pm
I always thought the food and travel parts of this forum were where we pretended to be normal functioning adults.
Ha!

Oman was a great short trip from Riyadh, as in heaven on earth. Again, compared to Riyadh. I mean, there was a Christmas tree in the hotel lobby. Not sure though given current limited travel resources that it would be top of list to return. Probably more like, you're running out of places to visit for the first time - how about Oman?

Really is lovely though, especially if you can take time as Xerius mentions to Salalah, or if you like scuba, or extended trips into the desert. A pretty place, and a happy memory.
I heard that you like the bad girls. Honey, is that true?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 am

leela wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 am
Are you going to post anything about Oman, Moe? Because so far you've only posted about, and to, Lincoln on this travel thread.
You might want to read my first post on this thread, ignoramus. Before your boy Lincoln started posting.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 am

Tell Mummy all about it Moe.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:55 am

mad hatter wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 pm
wash your mouth out moe.

5 c#nts in 3 posts!
I blame the internet and the Tea Bags for that.

Cunt is a very bad word here still, but the English have a different meaning for the word, and use it as publicly as we use 'fanny'. They have contaminated the internet with alternative meanings, not to mention spellings.

Note: Fanny is not a cunt here, it is the equivalent in niceness and meaning to a bum. Meanwhile, a bum here is a homeless person.

Carry on.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:57 am

And in AU a good cunt is nice thing to call someone

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:02 am

There are 17797 references the C word in The Stew, either by original usage or quoting someone else. The other day I looked it was 17,777. I almost made a post about it.

I am responsible for a few hundred short of a thousand.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 am

Lost Soul has just added two to his cunt, I mean, count.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 am
Lost Soul has just added two to his cunt, I mean, count.
I blame the Tea Bags, and 20 years of the internet for that, cunt.

Momma taught me manners. But she didn't teach me the English of Engerland.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 am

I hope you're all happy about ruining Waldo's travel thread.

She's a woman of some age you know. And let's be honest, you're all of a considerable age to know better.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 am

Moethebartender wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 am
leela wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 am
You might want to read my first post on this thread, ignoramus. Before your boy Lincoln started posting.
here you go moe. in the spirit of reconcilliation

http://www.politicalstew.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=180463

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Oman seems like a great country so far. I'd like it even more if they had road crossings.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 am

How long are you there for Klara? Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

And the rest of you- seriously you are acting like siblings. Stop it or you are all in for a time out. As in go to your rooms and no dinner ( well ok the chicken parm sounds good).

And I appreciated the referral to Anthony Bordaine. Always watch him in countries I am going to visit.

JudetheObscure
Stew Ingredient

Post by JudetheObscure » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:56 pm

I lived in Nizwa, Oman for 5 years and, as far as I know, ex-pat is still based in Muscat. If I were going to travel there, I'd rent a 4x4 and bring camping gear and reliable GPS. And a good guidebook, we used this one after it came out: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/348 ... d_Explorer
I wouldn't say it is the best book on the subject though. One drawback was that they'd use terms like "turn left at the 3 chicken sign" but if you ignored the cute "I'm practically a local" bullshit and just stick with the coordinates, you can get to a lot of nice places. You don't really have to camp either, outside of the empty quarter it isn't impossible to get to the next town and find a place to stay.
I'm okay, you are all heretics.

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:15 pm

I was there for 2 nights for a job interview. Only saw Muscat. It was August and it was so hot that if you jumped in the water you needed to cool off afterwards. Spending time outside was as practical as in Alaska in winter. But the landscape looked really cool and people told me that there are great desert tours that you can do. It looked like a desert planet in a Star Wars movie. Might make a good stop on the way to someplace, but maybe not a destination in itself.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Electrolyte- that is finally what I am thinking. I am not a big desert fan, truth be told (except in books- there is one on the Empty Quarter which is fascinating). And not a big hiker with two replaced knees and my husband a bum hip. So will try arrange a stop over one of these days- and NOT in summer. Hungery and Romania it is, instead.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 am

Another thread full of Moe ‘content’.
Ffs.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:43 pm

You can probably get a cool tour in Oman that mostly involves sitting in a car and then having dinner sitting on a cushion in or just ouside a tent for the sunset. Don't remember exactly, but I think I was told that it would take a day or two to get to the most beautiful areas. I went to Yemen many years ago and went through spectacular mountains, but it was mostly sitting in a car. No one proposed long hikes. There was plenty to see without doing that, and if you went on a hike and something happened you wouldn't be able to count on much support.

Spend more time in Romania than in Hungary.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Are doing- although not enough time. And three days in Istanbul as a stopover on the way home- mostly so I can have some iskander kabob. Plus Mr5W has not been so he gets to see the major highlights.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:43 pm
You can probably get a cool tour in Oman that mostly involves sitting in a car and then having dinner sitting on a cushion in or just ouside a tent for the sunset. Don't remember exactly, but I think I was told that it would take a day or two to get to the most beautiful areas. I went to Yemen many years ago and went through spectacular mountains, but it was mostly sitting in a car. No one proposed long hikes. There was plenty to see without doing that, and if you went on a hike and something happened you wouldn't be able to count on much support.

Spend more time in Romania than in Hungary.
Will have to find the travel piece we saw last year. It showed lots of cultural stuff and ancient stuff and made it look fascinating. Desert and mountains we have in Colorado. In time.