Light travel hacks

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Light travel hacks

Post by Bastet » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:46 pm

What do you do to reduce luggage weight / size when travelling?

What about shaving gel - have you found something that isn’t in an aerosol bag that s good for sensitive skin?

Speaking of aerosols - are they allowed in hand-luggage? I’ve never needed to know before as I’ve always checkied in the luggage.

Me, I’m not great at it.
Shampoo and conditioner bars and other mini toiletries.

I had compression bags who I did reduce size but I just brought more clothes and they were an awkward shape so I stopped using them.

Used to have a microfibre travel towel but can’t remember when I last stayed at a place where I needed my own towel.

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient

Re: Light travel hacks

Post by RainbowFrizz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 pm

I pack laundry detergent. Then I plan my clothes around suitable times to do laundry in the sink, based on how much I'm moving from place to place. If I'm staying in one place for the whole trip, I take four days worth of clothes and do laundry every three days.
"Ominous Spiritus" - Gowan

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 am

I am working at it. This recent Europe trip, I had no idea how long I'd be gone for--and I half-expected to be heading on to warmer climes, e.g. Australia, so I packed some summer gear I didn't need. Plus, hiking poles. I mean, really.

My tall roller bag is heavy all on its own, and I've enjoyed it for car trips and work trips where a cab picks you up and no trains or buses. Man, this time, I came close to sending it home alone. I have just bought a soft duffel with backpack straps. It has the light stuff in it, so I can pick it up by the duffel handle, or put it on back.

I am pretty good at toiletry consolidation.

Shoes are a tough category. I know I won't find decent-quality shoes in some places, especially in my size, so I end up bringing 3-4 pairs. This last trip, I could have done without the fancy tall black suede boots. I wore them out in London a couple of nights, and that's it.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:46 am

I guess I should add that it does depend on the destinations. I knew I could buy nice shoes in Spain for about the same price as here. I didn't know that Portugal is not very good for shopping. Plus, I don't really want to spend a lot of holiday time shopping.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 am

Only 2 pairs of footwear...ever.

Flip flops and then Teva sandals...anything else is a wastes of space and heavy as fcuk.

One packing thing i do now is I use packing "Compartments"...smallish zip bags to compartmentalize the clothes...makes finding stuff so easy.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:27 am

You can over think packing I have found. What do you really need. Then take some stuff out.
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:17 pm

If you'll be doing this sort of travel more often, definitely invest in superlight cabin baggage.
It can be pricey but it's worth it in the long run.

Nothing's better than the Samsonite Short-Lite https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsonite-Shor ... op?ie=UTF8 range.
(so, naturally, they've taken it off the market :| ).

I've got the 50cm version. Well, I had it, but my wife has snaffled it.

Other tricks - wear your heaviest clothes and shoes on the plane and pack the lighter stuff.

Load up your pockets.

Get local chargers to save on carrying adaptors.(Mu makes a good range of light, thin chargers that aren't shit https://www.themu.co.uk/)

Zip-cubes : Eagle Creek are the toughest but GoTravel are the lightest.
http://go-travelproducts.com/uk/bags-ho ... /zip-cubes

Strandbags, Bagworld and Paddy Pallin all stock Go Travel products.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:50 pm

I decant anything decantable into small squeezy bottles. I don't take aerosol anything (though I did take a travel sized dry shampoo one on the last trip, for emergencies).
And I love travel cubes. I use them for pretty much everything when packing my travelpack or cabin bag. The larger sizes are less helpful in top fill backpacks though.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Oh, and a medium sized vacuum compression sack for putting your dirty washing in while you travel about.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:09 pm

I have just bought this bag and packing cubes: https://www.tombihn.com/products/aerona ... 4039227783

The reviews are fantastic.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 pm

Ooh this thread is perfect. I was wanting to know about packing cells.

I struggle with shoes. I wear my sandals, a cheap pair of jandals (flip flops), and maybe a nice going out pair. But realistically I probably want a pair of walking shoes also...even tho I know I will only wear my sandals. Dramas.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 pm

I probably need to buy a good pair of walking sandals, truth be told.