Montenegro...have you been?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Montenegro...have you been?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Just got a email from a cheapo travel website that i use and Montenegro was mentioned....

Anyone here been there?

WhosieWho
Stew Ingredient

Re: Montenegro...have you been?

Post by WhosieWho » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Yes, its fabulous & surreal still.
We went in 1990; sponsee was there 2 months ago. Our notes matched.

FireAnt moved there, drove drunk off mountainside? Poontrail casualty of the Stew.
"This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen and there was NO Satanism. Delete." -- The Editor

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Surreal you say?...another comment i saw online was "Quirky"...what do you mean by surreal?

Sorry to hear about FireAnt...i remember that name (kind of) from the TT of old.

WhosieWho
Stew Ingredient

Surreal.

Post by WhosieWho » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

The Stew is Not Real.
We don't know - and didn't say - that FireAnt is actually dead.
Literally, he disappeared from the Stew at that point, chasing poon (or so he said.)

We saw houses on stilts.
"This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen and there was NO Satanism. Delete." -- The Editor

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Haven't been, but it's popular with Russians - I know plenty who have visited, for the sea and the mountains.
Kotor and the "fjord" that's not actually a fjord look great: if you want to do something a bit different, you can go swimming there: https://www.swimtrek.com/packages/swimming-holiday-montenegro-fjords
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 pm

We were there a couple of years back. Nice. Food and beverages above average. Like the Croats they're taking advantage of the stunning coastal scenery and hoovering every available cruise ship into their waters. Kotor itself is a stunning setting. Fiord like with a great climb to the old fort above the town. Dubrovnik airport is only a couple of hours away and a good place to pick up a car.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am

^what he said.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Purps
Stew Ingredient

Post by Purps » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 am

I'm going in September. Going to base myself in Kotor I think- looks to be a good central spot for day trips and very beautiful. Travelling from Dubrovnik by bus, then going to Albania.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 am

here is a post i made in another thread a while ago ...

cummy wrote:i did a montenegro day trip a few years ago ... out of dubrovnik. here are some snappies...

kotor

budva. about 99.99% of the tourists in montenegro are russian.

st stephen's island

perast

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Just booked to go end of May...we'll be based around Budva and then head out daily to explore,those picture are awesome cummy, i was just reading about that St Stephens island,that'll be on the list for sure.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 pm

In Kotor hike up to the castle the back way. From another recent post of mine:

If you like a hike, go to the fortress ruins. But go up the back way. Trust me on this. You can go down the front way (the paved path everyone goes on). Go up the Austro Hungarian way described here. Goats. Cows. Isolation. Maybe one farmer lady milking cows. It's lovely.

http://blonde-gypsy.com/2016/06/21/6-th ... ontenegro/
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:48 pm

That a great link Pez...thanks

How did you come across that website?...i love the pics.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:18 am

I was just furiously googling for a site that describes the back way up. I don't think that's the site I originally read in Montenegro when we decided to go up the back way, but I couldn't find that. The other was a blog too.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 am

This link is pretty good. We met those goats too and hung out with them a bit.
https://www.oaksandcompass.com/2015/11/ ... -in-kotor/

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:54 am

Here's a picture of Google Earth tracking of our hike. We went up on the left track, down on the right (with all the other tourists).

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 am

Speaking of goats, this was at (I think) the church ruins near the top of the left path up (back way). My report after the fact:

So I was intimidated at first, but ehs (a goat expert) assured me that they had no interest in goring me with those enormous horns. In fact, all she wanted to do was get the eye gunk off each of her eyes using my leg and shorts. Which she did for several minutes while I gave her a pat and avoided the pointy part of her horns. (She's actually rubbing her head repeatedly back and forth against my leg in this picture - for a long time.) She was really sweet.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:18 am

How long did the hike take you?

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Can't remember, but ehs said it might have been an hour on the way up, with frequent stops to pet goats and take pictures. Seemed like longer to me, maybe two. And we kicked around a lot at the top. It was faster, of course, on the way down.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:25 pm

The top of Mt. Orgen is the wettest place in Europe, with 6.25 m of precipitation (~250 inches).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orjen

The wettest town is nearby. Crkvice gets 4.77 m of precipitation a year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crkvice
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 am

Wow. I went there once, for a day, in 1984.

Caught a bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor, then up some winding mountain road. It was spectacular. The bus driver told me to stop taking photos.

Had dinner (well, a couple of bureks) in Titograd (called something different now). Brutal concrete apartment block architecture. Caught an overnight bus to Skopje. Was very tired the next day.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:37 am

Bussed up the coast from Bar to Dubrovnik over a week or so before devolution and the war. The train to Bar from Belgrade is spectacular. Kotor was in bits after a big earthquake. Went back with a car after the war. Kotor was lovely but the cruise ships have found it. It’s an easy drive from Dubrovnik.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:04 am

Be aware of pickpockets around the old town gates and leading up through the streets to the fort climb. I headed off one morning and some little pissant punched me in the ghoolies. Partially winded, hunched over and worried about their welfare I just managed to notice another little bastard behind me reaching for the back pocket.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:01 pm

You know what's helpful? An airhorn.

I got swarmed in Florence. One good blast in the face (aim for the ear) at one of them, and then a few more to bring attention and they will scatter.

It's helped me a few times. I never travel without my airhorn.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 pm

One good blast in the face (aim for the ear) at one of them, and then a few more to bring attention and they will scatter.
A goodly blast of "fuck off you little shitheads" and a guided tour of the back of my hand work wonders as well.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 am

Never get physical when outnumbered -actually, don't be starting altercations far from home, period.

The airhorn has the element of surprise, but is unlikely to get your ass kicked. They're disoriented by it, and then it's exit, stage left.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:44 am

Hannibal Lector just knifed them in the dick

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Budvar is kind of a hell hole, but worth a brief visit to get the concept.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Also, the bay of Kotor is shaped like a diagram of the female reproductive system. I stayed in the right ovary.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat May 05, 2018 7:18 pm

nycfellow wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 pm
Also, the bay of Kotor is shaped like a diagram of the female reproductive system. I stayed in the right ovary.

Shit....you must have some dodgy-fanny women over there where you live if thats how you think a minge looks :lol:

3 weeks tomorrow we'll be there and i cannot wait...as usual i have done fcuk all research :? ....i'll just rent a car and read the previous posts.

Feels good to be going somewhere i've never been before....