Riga-Latvia

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Riga-Latvia

Post by Lincoln » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Just booked for a long weekend over Easter because i'm fcuking awesome.

Have you been, whats it like?

I've heard good things and just managed to bag cheapish flights from my local airport (Nottingham).

Can you recommend any decent hotels,we like modern and central.

Whats it like for a vegie over there? i'm guessing they are meat eating bastards?

What were the highlights of Riga for you?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Riga-Latvia

Post by Lincoln » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:09 pm

I'll be there in 91 days....can't wait.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 am

Was there summer this year.

Lovely place - and in summer, lovely weather.

Not real big on vegan food but you'll find something at the more top-end places.

Not that cheap either. Can be quite pricey in fact.
Locals blame joining the euro.

Airport's not far from town - taxi was less than 20 euro. There are buses too.

We stayed at Radisson Blu Latvija because I had points.
https://www.radissonblu.com/en/latvijah ... n_ho_RIXZL

Doesn't look that central on the map, but is. We fat old bastards easily walked to the old town every day.
Lovely walk across the park and by the Freedom Monument.

Wife stayed at this place in 2014 - much cheaper, and more central, almost too central:
http://www.operahotel.lv/en/

Only complaint she had was that it was hot and no AC in rooms.

Visit the Occupation museum
http://okupacijasmuzejs.lv/en/

This nice-looking house in central Riga was a KGB interrogation centre..:

http://www.liveriga.com/en/7166-the-corner-house

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:35 pm

We did Riga and Vilnius on the same trip, and I'm forever confusing the two. But I checked, and in Riga we stayed at the Semara hotel. It did a really good short break deal at the time. Decent place, good location.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... egion.html
Pass the wine...

QPR_Paul
Stew Ingredient

Post by QPR_Paul » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Riga is great. The Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija is the best place in town to stay IMHO. It's about 500m from the Freedom Monument, so a quick walk (along one road), so central enough for everything. The walk will take you past the Russian Orthodox Cathedral.

The Sky Bar on the top floor of the Hotel Latvija has nice views of the city, and of an evening normally has a "Europop" DJ on, and there's a double-sided nightclub in the basement. One side has Russian karaoke and is frequented by the cities Russian diaspora (about 40% of Riga's population is ethnic Russian/Russian speaking) and the other side has more usual Euro muzak.

The old centre is beautiful and nightlife there is hectic. It can get busy with idiot Brits (also Scandi and Dutch) stag-dos though. The locals got pissed off with this a long time ago, and some pubs/clubs in the old centre won't let you in unless you look/speak Latvian to the bouncers.

If there's any sports on you want to see, I'd recommend the Kiwi Bar

http://kiwibar.lv/

The cities rugby team are based out of there, and the stag dos tend to congregate at the Irish pubs, so in my mind they are best avoided (Paddy Whelan's or Donegans, both in the old centre).

If the weather is good, (unlikely at the end of March) you could hire a bike cycle to the Baltic sea at Jurmala, it's about 25 kms all on flat cycle paths, they give you a map in the bike shop.

I'll drop you a PM Lincoln.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:43 pm

The good thing about the kiwi bar is that they have a surprisingly good Indian restaurateur next door and you can eat your curry in the kiwi bar.

I really didn't see any stag dos this summer but then we were probably in bed too early.

Jurmala was great in summer but I imagine it would be a bit, er, Baltic in march.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:09 pm
I'll be there in 91 days....can't wait.
13 days now until i go...i have done zero research i'm just going to turn up and see how it is over there,can't wait.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Beware of Russian agents everywhere -- they are looking for more Brits to poison with nerve agents. They will blame your death on your own weed & booz overdose.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 pm

The only things I know about Riga:

1. A family photo that shows one of my great-uncles in his Russian Army uniform was taken at a studio in Riga in 1918.

2. If you watch the first two to three minutes of the first episode of the Russian TV series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson, you will see at 02:40 a carriage passing through Baker Street, then Watson walking with a friend to 221B, where his friend will introduce him to Holmes. "Baker Street" is actually a street in Riga. Some of you who have been there may recognize it.

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Just came across an amazing Latvian radio station....its called "Atmosferix"...wow what a station.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:34 pm

It just dawned on my that rather than ask you to watch up to three minutes of that video
I could just post screen shots of the Riga street that was used as Baker Street:

Sorry! I did something wrong; they all should have been as large as the first one.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks NA...i'm going to see if i can take a pic of the same street and post it here...i'll be there in 6 days time.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:10 am

Sat on the tarmac waiting to take off, plane is full of Latvians heading home for Easter, they seem a friendly bunch but my, aren't they an ugly bunch?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:36 am

A grey, grim day in the former Soviet Union!... just like I thought it would be,awesome Art Nouveau buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:44 am

You'll see all the obvious bars but go to this place:

https://www.facebook.com/kasdaarzaa/

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks glimpet, wel'll eat there later today

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:46 am

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:47 am

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:05 am

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:12 am

good trip?
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:36 am

Yes mate, it's a fascinating city, we"re just walking around taking it all in,gorgeous Art Nouveau buildings everywhere, puts England to shame really.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:56 pm

How's weather been?

The Indian place next to the Kiwi bar is surprisingly good.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:29 am

Weather has been awful...pissed down solidly all day yesterday and when it wasn't raining it was snowing,still it's been a great trip,nice city ,you can't stop staring up at the buildings...sat at the airport now and the snow is coming down heavy,I'm guessing they know how to deal with snow here though so hopefully no delays.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Heavy snow: The perfect time for a big fat joint. LOL

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Yeah the weather sucked steavo still, i'm pleased i went it certainly is worth a visit but i don't think i'd go over easter again as most Art Galleries were closed as were the museums so i feel a little cheated really.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Hey, Lincs, Any trip to a new unusual international destination like Riga is definitely a worthwhile experience despite what the weather brings forth. Cheers, Dude.
My golf trip to San Francisco was great. I stayed at the hostel near Fisherman's Wharf, a great location with views of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz island from the hostel. The Goodwin college golf tournament was at TPC Harding Park which is near Golden Gate Park. The difficult course will be the site of the 2020 PGA Championship (A Major) and a future President's Cup.
I'll make another golf trip to Northern California this weekend -- to Santa Cruz, California, so I may miss The Masters Weekend.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:01 am

Lincoln wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:19 pm
Yeah the weather sucked steavo still, i'm pleased i went it certainly is worth a visit but i don't think i'd go over easter again as most Art Galleries were closed as were the museums so i feel a little cheated really.
So I hope others take note; this is how you make a travel post. You have an interest/booking, maybe enlist some help in your process/trip, do the trip and follow up in the thread, and then post afterwards. Well done Lincs, hopefully you smoked a big ol' spliff when you got back.
steveogolf wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:30 pm
Hey, Lincs, Any trip to a new unusual international destination like Riga is definitely a worthwhile experience despite what the weather brings forth. Cheers, Dude.
My golf trip to San Francisco was great. I stayed at the hostel near Fisherman's Wharf, a great location with views of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz island from the hostel. The Goodwin college golf tournament was at TPC Harding Park which is near Golden Gate Park. The difficult course will be the site of the 2020 PGA Championship (A Major) and a future President's Cup.
I'll make another golf trip to Northern California this weekend -- to Santa Cruz, California, so I may miss The Masters Weekend.
Just played TPC Harding this past January. Nice day, course in great condition, I wasn't; hip still bugging the hell out of me. Forgot the course was cart path only; should have walked the fucker...either way, I was barely able to get through the last two holes with my hip hurting so bad--namely bending over to putt.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:14 pm

Wilster wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:01 am

Just played TPC Harding this past January. Nice day, course in great condition, I wasn't; hip still bugging the hell out of me. Forgot the course was cart path only; should have walked the fucker...either way, I was barely able to get through the last two holes with my hip hurting so bad--namely bending over to putt.
Sorry for your hip condition which made your round less than ideal.
TPC Harding Park played very difficult even for the top collegiate players at The Goodwin due to the very hard greens -- apparently the maintenance crew "rolls" the greens at Harding Park so that even high approach shots to the greens do not spin back, but roll forward, except where there is a "backstop" (upslope) beyond where the ball lands. As such, this is different than all of the other top courses on which the CAL Golf Team has played over the past several years. I am told that this is what the PGA Tour is doing now to courses on which the pros play tournaments. The conditions were most difficult on Thursday and Friday (Rounds 1 and 2) when the temperatures were unually high -- in the 70's -- the beaches were crowded at nearby Ocean Beach across from the west end of Golden Gate Park. For Round 3 on Saturday there was fog in the morning and the temperatures were cold -- sweatshirt / jacket and beanie were needed -- the greens were a little easier -- the ball did not roll as far after hitting the green, but the cold temperatures made it more difficult from tee to green. Overall however, this was a great tournament to watch.