Traveling in 2017-How was it for you?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Traveling in 2017-How was it for you?

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Did you have a good year?

Did you travel as much in 2017 as you thought you would?

When you look back to this time last year and you were making travel plans for 2017 did you get to the places you wanted to go to?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Traveling in 2017-How was it for you?

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:00 pm

My 2017 wasnt too bad although i did plan to do a lot more than i did....at the start of the year i wasn't working and was already 2 months into a supposedly
"1 Year off"...i'd planned to drive to Armenina in the summer of 2017 to visit the familly of a good friend but a call came in offering me my job back and I could see that i was just bullshitting myself regarding money and i just had to go back to work....so to console myself i booked and went to;

Poland
Morroco
Crete
Barbados

Not the same as traveling but better than nothing.

How was your 2017-travelwise?

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:31 pm

My 2017 was a good one for travel for me. I managed a few weeks in Nicaragua in spring, then Spain in summer. I loved Barcelona, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Not as much domestic US travel as usual this year. New Orleans in September, but I think that was about it.

I usually only make it overseas once a year at best, so I'm not complaining.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:43 am

Zambia and Israel.

Next year possibly Ireland and Utah national parks

The there is a mandatory trip to Israel for a wedding
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:31 am

Not too bad, not sure if 2018 will measure the same:

Jan: Paris/Normandy
Feb/Mar: China
Late Mar: Mexico (baseball!)
May: road trip with a bud to Bend, OR for golf
Summer: road trip to Montana and surrounds with one of the dawgs
Sept: Ireland with a couple colleagues
Oct: Prague
Late Oct: Washington DC for a memorial
Nov: New Orleans (for work for a week)
Late Nov/Dec: Australia
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:02 am

It was meh, as expected.

Overseas, I only did Israel, in spring. It was awesome, but I wish I was able to travel to other countries.

Summer was spent moving to a new apartment and getting my daughter ready and settled in for college.

Labor Day weekend in Chicago, and now a week here in California.

Xerius
Stew Ingredient

Post by Xerius » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:46 am

Most of my travel this past year was work-related, but given that I'd barely done any international travel (and essentially no work travel) in the previous 4-1/2 years, that was a welcome improvement. And in most places I at least get to fit in a bit of sightseeing - and most certainly some of the local food - while I'm there, so that helps too.

In March, I was in the Middle East for a school tour, much like I'll be doing again in a few months: several days each in Amman and Dubai, then brief stops through Kuwait, Manama, Muscat, and Doha. Bahrain was little more than a blur due to scheduling, as was Kuwait (though honestly, that was for the better).

Not international travel, but I hit conferences Stateside in LA, Chicago, and DC at the tail end of May, June, and July respectively. Then the sole "vacation travel" I did ended up being a family trip up to Illinois and Indiana - not exactly the most exciting destinations.

This fall I did a whirlwind work trip over to Saudi Arabia in late September, which even at a mere three days in-country was too long. Dammam/Al-Khobar is an utter snore. October was much better, with a couple weeks out spent in Abu Dhabi (enjoyable enough, if sweltering), Kuwait City again (yawn), and Istanbul (fantastic). I managed to fit in a stopover in Munich on the way over, which was great too, since I got to see my brother and his family (who live there) and enjoy some beautiful fall weather (and beer and schnitzel) before heading to the desert.

I'll be doing more work travel in 2018, but I'm really hoping to get a week out somewhere in there when my wife and I can take off to someplace like Mexico or Peru. Long overdue. For all the travel I've done in Europe and Asia, I still have yet to go south of the US border, which is really strange to admit as an American.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:46 am

Very little until November.

Had to get my house ready to sell earlier in the year. Sold it in April and moved to an apt near work. Work was its usual crazy all summer, so I worked several weekends and had to cancel short trips.

Quit work in October and went straight to Santa Fe for a few days of good food and spa. Came back east for a wedding in Philadelphia, then back to D.C. to move out of apt.

Flew to LA in mid-November and drove up the coast to Santa Barbara. Took train north to SF area and spent Thanksgiving in Tiburon. Took cross-country train to Chicago, then D.C. Spent my bday in D.C. to farewell friends and family. Sold car and moved rest of stuff into storage.

Booked one-way ticket to Lisbon. Spent two weeks there and three days in Porto. Flew to London and here I am until just after the new year.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:54 am

Short breaks in Dubai, Hong Kong, Istanbul, and Seoul. First time for me in all those places except Hong Kong.

Work trips to Tampa and Atlanta, enough time to see some stuff. Also both first timers.

Long holidays in Sri Lanka and Japan but Sri Lanka didn't always feel like a holiday because was taking care of Old Issues and was very ill for most of the Japan trip.

Oh I also visited the parents.

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:39 pm

New York
London
Amsterdam
Salzburg
Munich
Paris
Rome
Berlin

Not bad ,but still did not make it to Australia.
One can’t go to pieces at the death of every foreigner. We’d all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.”Maggie Smith(Downton Abbey)

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 am

Damn, I just did this same OP over on Streeterville and now I see you beat me to it.

Anyway

Hong Kong twice
Malaysia
Taiwan
Macau

Loads of domestic in the Philippines.

I had no expectations for 2017. It was a good year for travel.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Trying to remember... Thailand in early January, a weekend train trip to Siberia in March (work but it counts), Yorkshire Dales walking in April, South Korea in May, Austrian Alps, Dolomites, Yorkshire and Riga in July, a weekend in Budapest in September, Singapore and Malaysia for a wedding in November, and Yorkshire again at Christmas.
Not sure yet how 2018 will pan out - my February Kerala trip got canned actually at the airport check-in desk (delayed flights, fucked up connections) and so we went to Bangkok instead, booked three hours before the flight departed. So I’m not confirming anything yet.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 pm

60th birthday trip to Zambia

Family visit to Israel

Weekend hiking and camping on Appalachian Trial in NJ with GF
New years weekend with GF in Washington DC

Lots of day hiking
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:05 am

Pretty good. Started the year with thinking about maybe some big trips and ended up with three small trips. Plus a work trip to Vancouver that was great.

Costa Rica was mostly great (especially meeting Ledbetter) but we had one very bad day.

Colombia was great.

The summer trip to BC (Revelstoke, Kimberly, Inverness) and Montana was great.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm

made it only as far as madmondays seaside village..

not many years that I havn't even left the state, even if just to cross the murray, but 2017 was one of them.. (1983 was the last time before that from memory)

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Not the best...pretty busy with work...plus trips to AZ were work (sell investment properties) with a little play.
Mexico twice.
Had a really enjoyable trip to the Gaspe region of Quebec.
Other than that is was mostly cottage.
Bit of a yawner.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Hubby had a stroke in February 2017, just a few days after we had booked flights. There was some question whether we would need to cancel but it motivated him at rehab. We made it to Munich, Venice and a short stay at Berchdasgaden (sp?). Duty visit to Alberta and then our usual week on Vancouver Island.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Sorry to hear about your husband minvan....good to see he got well enough to travel again.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Crap year. Work prevented booked and paid for Antigua holiday trip. Schedule clash meant I got Budapest work trip but missed out on Bergen and Malawi.
This year is better already.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

http://www.officialmikepence.com

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:18 am

Hawaii, Sichuan, and AUS NT. Three big trips is pretty typical for me, but I'd have liked to do more small trips too.
I visited my parents and in-laws in Hawaii and China, so that was good. NT was the last state/territory I hadn't visited yet, and very enjoyable other than the heat.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Thank you Lincoln we were very lucky all around!

tzarine
Stew Ingredient

Post by tzarine » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:22 pm

micvan - wishing your husband the best

starting w a trip to cali for my brother's funeral
then
hanoi
saigon
nin binh
then japan on a jr pass with the lads
sapporo
hakodate
nagasaki
walked part of the nakasendo trail
tokyo

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 am

2017 was an interesting year for travel.
New Caledonia , drove around Grande Terre then took the ferry to the outer islands. Absolutely stunning.
Vanuatu was next, Vila then south through Tanna then further south into missionsry territory. Met a guy who claims his great grandfather killed and ate English missionary John Williams, whose wife and son are buried in a London cemetery. Ben has offered to take a photo for me of the gravesite if he can find it.
Next was a quick trip to Fiji, nice but not a handle on Vanuatu.
2018 finds me in the PNG highlands for work.