Yunnan

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Yunnan

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Who's been to Yunnan, China? What did you like or dislike? I'll have 2 weeks there in January.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Yunnan

Post by Lincoln » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Yunan was awesome,I particularly liked Dali,you can hike up a hill to an old monastery on the back of a defenseless pony,there great food there and easily available weed.

Lijaing was nice too but it passed it down for days on end when we were there so we just mooched around the town longing in cafes...still great to do.

Yunan is a great region.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks, Linc. Really looking forward to it!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Never been but would love to go, over any place else in China.

It's where the earth went corduroy as India moved north. There are several giant rivers in miles-deep canyons, separated from the next river by 20,000 foot ridges.

Kunming still likes Americans, even under the Commies. At least they have a museum to them there.

It looks like there are more roads since the last time I looked. There used to be only one, to Burma.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8877456,101.1997758,384280m/data=!3m1!1e3
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Lost Soul wrote:There are several giant rivers in miles-deep canyons, separated from the next river by 20,000 foot ridges

I'm hoping the deep canyons are still half way warm in January and that the 20,000 foot peaks are spectacularly covered with snow and ice.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Kunming is one of my favouite cities in China, though I only spent a night there. There's a Guanyin temple there that's really cool.

Agree with Lincoln on Dali; it's great. I liked Lijiang a lot too. I spent two days there before the clouds cleared and revealed a spectacular mountain backdrop I'd had no idea was there. The trip out to Baisha (sp?) from Lijiang is worth doing, too.

The Tiger Leaping Gorge was as spectacular as I'd hoped it was.

I left Yunnan via the mountain roads to Sichuan, via Zhongdian/Shangri-La, Xiangcheng, Litang and Kangding. It was FUCKING SPECTACULAR but probably won't be passable in January. Worth getting to Zhongdian, though.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:31 pm

Lost Soul wrote:Kunming still likes Americans, even under the Commies. At least they have a museum to them there

I'm going to check that museum out if I have time, sounds pretty unique. Liked this shot...

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Thanks, Ben.

Dali, Lijiang and Zhongdian are all on the agenda for sure. I would love to make it as far up into the mountains as possible, but not going to go all the way to Sichuan. I was just checking out Xiangcheng online, and it really looks spectacular. If the roads are open, I'm going.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:59 pm

My Air & Space Smithsonian has done a couple of articles on Kunming recently. 1300 Americans died saving that city, and they are grateful. So you'll know you aren't in France, or Korea.

Here is the saga of flying the last DC-3 (C-47) to fly the Hump back to Kunming for the museum there.
https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/once-more-over-the-hump-180964763/

Here is the story of Kunming honoring some old pilots last year.
https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/kunming-photo-exhibit-flying-tigers-180960966/
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 am

Ben, how was the road from Zhongdian/Shangri-La to Xiangcheng? It doesn't look that great on google earth. I can definitely get to Zhongdian, after that, not sure.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Yunnan was my first ever solo backpacking trip, and it was awesome.

Ben helped me itinerise and I was essentially following in his footsteps, so I don't have a lot to add. But Lijiang, Dali and Zhongdian were great little centres to stay in, and Tiger Leaping Gorge every bit as spectacular as I'd heard (I didn't do the trek though - I had a hair raising minibus ride along the road which had only just been opened after one of the frequent landslides, with the wheels almost hanging over the edge of the steep drop, as the driver tried to avoid rockfalls). I stayed at Sean's, which if it still exists, is in a stunning location.
Lijiang can be awful right in the centre when the day trips of Chinese tourists arrive. But it's gorgeous first thing in the morning and when everyone's gone, so stay near the centre, but spend most of the day a few hundred yards or more out of it. They literally just hang around in the centre

Hire a bike wherever you can. I had some lovely rides in Lijiang (to Beisha) Dali and Zhongdian. It's a great way to feel part of a place and to meet locals.

I did a homestay with a Tibetan family just outside Zhongdian. Still one of the strangest yet most rewarding things I've experienced. I've done homestays since, but that is still the most other worldly.
Pass the wine...

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:Ben, how was the road from Zhongdian/Shangri-La to Xiangcheng? It doesn't look that great on google earth. I can definitely get to Zhongdian, after that, not sure.

I think it was fairly new when I did it in 2007. Probably the windingest mountain road I've ever been on, but a smooth surface in those days.

The real high ground - I think it tops out about 4600m - is between Xiangcheng and Litang, so you might get lucky.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:52 am

It certainly may be a bit of an adventure getting around up there in the winter. Researching this a bit more online, I'm not even sure I can make it to Zhongdian, which is over 3,000 meters, but I think so. I'll see how far up there I can go, once I get over there. Should be fun.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 am

Report back - I’d love to see what it’s like up there in full winter.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:31 am

Tiger Leaping Gorge was awesome (and I was grateful to ben_h and leela for advice).

Lijiang was packed full of domestic tourists, but pretty all the same. Awesome food.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 am

You should PM dBrother, if he doesn't find this thread. He's done some cool stuff in that part of the world.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:33 am

ben_hanscombe wrote:The Tiger Leaping Gorge was as spectacular as I'd hoped it was

matt_melb wrote:Tiger Leaping Gorge was awesome

Did you guys do any trekking there, or just saw it from near the road or wherever? I saw that Leela said she didn't trek. I'm just asking because I do want to go there, but I'm not sure trekking will be an option at that elevation in January.

I'm also planning to head south of Kunming to lower elevations and warmer weather. I want to check out those rice terraces in Honghe/Yuanyang and also just spend some time out in the countryside not focused on any particular attraction.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:18 am

Winter is supposed to be a really good time to do TLG. Cold but sunny, clear and dry.
Pass the wine...

RichD
Stew Ingredient

Post by RichD » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 pm

I have been to Kunming and Honghe multiple times but all for work. Honghe has some spectacular rice terraces. Kunming is the most pleasant Chinese city to spend a few days. Yunnanese food is the in-food at the moment in Shanghai and Beijing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength - Edmund Burke

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:59 pm

RichD wrote:Honghe has some spectacular rice terraces

yeah, I was looking at that online and definitely on my list. That's one of Yunnan's five world heritage sites. And I think it would be a relatively warm destination for January travel.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:21 am

The south of yunnan non mountainous areas will be downright tropical.

Tiger leaping gorge is well well worth the 2 or 3 day high walk, it may be open even in january, if so go have a look, i went in march and it was pleasant blue sky weather with snow capped mountains whatever way you looked. Personally I reckon it was one of the most spectacular sights I have ever seen.

I also followed Ben H s footsteps, through all those towns he mentioned, absolutely spectacular aswell, and made it beyond that out to the ancient Buddhist printing monastery town of Dėgè, over a 5000 meter mountain pass beyond marnigango, but yes, probably closed for snow aswell..

Then you've got nujiang valley in the far far west of yunnan, bordering on burma and tibet, also spectacular, my one and only travel journalism thread linked above.

Anyhow, tl;Dr go to tiger leaping gorge..

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:48 am

DBro, I checked your thread on the Nujiang Valley, and that looks excellent. That's the same valley where some video clips of snow leopards was shot recently, which Barilko posted. If I have time, will head up that valley, looks like it's doable even in winter, at least up to Bingzhongluo.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:23 pm

yep, it was only the road to dulong valley out further east of gongshan that got snowed under and isolated for 6 months of the year, which is really cool in itself for isolated out of the way places, the rest of the nujiang should be good.

DO NOT leave your self in a rush to get out for a plane or something, landslides are really really common, there's only the one little windy road for the whole valley and no airports up there, so if there's a big rockslide on the road you are stuck there for as long as it takes until it's cleared.

It had never occurred to me how bleedin scary a rockslide can be until i saw two of them at different times up in that valley.

bowling bowl size rocks were just the little ones, coming down from potentially kilometers up the hill.. and you dont really know whether the rockfall has stopped or is just taking a break for a few minutes when ones happening on the road in front of you..

find Alou in Dimelou if you head up there... great bloke.