Paris, Again; Now I Need Stew Help

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Paris, Again; Now I Need Stew Help

Post by Wilster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:59 am

Same drill, just a different year; flights booked to Paris, Jan 25th thru Feb 4th, time with Ms Wilster on her coattails in Paris, then on my own for a few (3 to 4) daze.

So what to do? Last year I rented a car and hit Normandy and the beaches. Not sure what to do this year. Eurostar to London (wow, just a little over two hours), fly to Kiev, areas within France again, somewhere else?

Would love to see some soccer in London and/or Paris if it's in season. Just not sure that I want to hang around Paris for the whole trip (free room included). Figure Lincoln would come down to London where we could tie one on together and get massively high, you know, and just bro-out.

I've even looked at Porto and Santaigo de Compostela (sp?), and even Belgrade.

I guess as usual, I'll do whatever the Stew recommends.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Re: Paris, Again; Now I Need Stew Help

Post by twodogs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 pm

There is always something to do in London but due to the weather I would avoid the Atlantic coast and the Med isn't much better.

The Alps are getting their best snow in a century so the skiing will be great. If you don't ski take local trains thru the alps for the scenery. The direct routes use tunnels so there isn't much to see.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Happy to sort you out with drugs if you do choose London 8)

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 pm

I knew you'd come through Lincoln.

Twodogs, hadn't really though about the snow/Alps thing; prob no skiing for me as I'm going through some hip issues--prob going to need surgery, but, the views could be cool. And yeah, I'm thinking big city with it being winter and all.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Considering the weather and mobility issues I would opt for London. The train is cheaper and faster than flying. A friend stays at the Apollo Hotel near St Pancras. It is cheap for London and they have a room in the basement near breakfast so she only has to negotiate one set of stairs. If this is your first visit take bus 188 from Russel Square to Greenwich to see the full spectrum of London life, visit Cutty Sark if it interests you, then take a clipper back to Waterloo and the usual tourist stops. Try to get a seat upstairs and in front on the bus, the stairs are worth the view.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:47 pm

London is always worthy, and February is soccer season.

If you want to stay in France, head south to the Dordogne. They speak English there, due to all the second-homer transplants. It has mild weather and a bunch of museums and caves featuring cave-paintings. It's pretty, too.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Thanks gents. The mobility isn't THAT bad, just constant discomfort where I see I'm going to have to deal with surgery I suspect down the road. I'm not hobbling around and stairs aren't a big issue; at least now.

Both suggestions are solid; leaning towards London, but things may change. The hotel looks decent for my needs, but man are there a lot of hotels in town looking at Expedia.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:03 am

I think London may be the deal, but what the fuck am I going to do there? I was always a soccer (uhmmm, okay, football) player growing up so I thought how 'bout some Premier League games. But can someone decipher if these teams are in or close to London? Okay, I mean I know Liverpool is in...well...Liverpool, but are there matches of teams that I don't recognize as London, and if out of town, are there easily reachable towns/cities that a Londoner might go to just for a match, not to over night? This is probably when I'm going to be there in London:

Tuesday 30 January 2018

20:00 Huddersfield Town v Liverpool
Swansea City v Arsenal
West Ham United v Crystal Palace

Wednesday 31 January 2018

Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth
Everton v Leicester City
20:00 Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion
Newcastle United v Burnley
Southampton v Brighton
Stoke City v Watford
20:00 Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:27 am

Arsenal, West Ham United, Crystal Palace, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur are all in London.

Ticket availability and prices are probably based on their current records. https://www.premierleague.com/tables

Also, Chelsea is in posh London, Crystal is in poor London.

Finally, the best matches quality-wise are Tottenham/Manchester United followed by West Ham/Crystal Palace, at least in terms of competitiveness.

Chelsea has the biggest stadium, and will probably give you the best feel of an American football playoff game. But the fans everywhere there are more passionate, and drunker.

Personally, I would attend either Crystal or Chelsea. Both have their stew fans (Bandra and the Duck). And the stakes are lifelong.

I've only seen one match there, and it was at Chelsea.

Finally, there are a dozen other teams, or more, in London that are not currently in the top flight league. Unlike here, shitty teams get dropped to the next highest league for the next season. Imagine if the Cleveland Browns left for the Canadian Football league long ago and you have it. Anyway, these tickets will be cheaper, yet still full of the passionate locals. Check out QPR (as in QPR Paul) or even Fulham.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 am

if you're flying united and are on a revenue/paid ticket with class W or higher, ping me.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:03 am

and i would just stay in paris. i just love that fucking city. love love love love it.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 pm

cummy wrote:and i would just stay in paris. i just love that fucking city. love love love love it.

Me too. There's so much there that I still haven't seen, why leave the city?
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Awesome, thanks LS. Looks like Tuesday is the only day there will be London games from above*; or some lower division games that I could look into. I am aware of the dropping of the worst teams back; I think that's a pretty good idea, should keep things more competitive I would think.

Cum, you know my story; FF miles again. Hopefully will be able to get into Economy Plus before the flight i.e. 24 hours before if Ms. Wilster can't swing it before that.

Cum and NA; c'mon, I ain't getting any younger. I can't let cobwebs collect; this rolling stone has gotta keep moving.

*Ha, looks like I had the "versus" reversed; seems now I could watch Chelsea, West Ham United, or Tottenham Hotspur from the list.

QPR_Paul
Stew Ingredient

Post by QPR_Paul » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:39 pm

In terms of the football, Tottenham will be at Wembley ( England’s national stadium) and West Ham will be at the
London Olympic stadium.
Tickets will be easy to get hold of for either. Chelsea on the other hand will be at their own stadium, which is smaller capacity but the home crowd atmosphere will be much much better .

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:54 pm

QPR_Paul wrote:In terms of the football, Tottenham will be at Wembley ( England’s national stadium) and West Ham will be at the
London Olympic stadium.
Tickets will be easy to get hold of for either. Chelsea on the other hand will be at their own stadium, which is smaller capacity but the home crowd atmosphere will be much much better .

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I'm looking at Tottenham tickets on StubHub; either them or Chelsea as I think the Wednesday game would be best--tentatively I would arrive London on Tuesday from Paris. But man, getting tickets on the clubs' websites doesn't seem too easy. I mean you gotta be member or some sort of thing. Do people ever sell tickets at the venue itself like in the States? I could just roll up and buy from someone that has an extra.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:13 am

i drove around dordogne this summer and loved it.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 am

More importantly, if you're coming to London, when's the pissup?
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Finally, there are a dozen other teams, or more, in London that are not currently in the top flight league

Indeed, but they don't often play league games midweek like the EPL clubs do.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 am

leela wrote:More importantly, if you're coming to London, when's the pissup?

Leela, if you're in town, always up for a beer or ten.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 am

Cool. I'm just a 50 minute train ride away, and always happy to catch up with visitors/have an excuse to pop into London. So keep in touch!
Pass the wine...

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm

I will PM ya when everything falls into place; I've got the SFO to Paris return flight booked and will be at Ms. Wilster's hotel (and room) when in Pareee, but need to pull the trigger on everything I've got planned (Eurostar tix's, three nights room, Premier League tix).

I can always head out your way if you have a favorite pub or the like; that will minimize two hours of commute your end.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:00 am

compare eurostar to flying. sometimes flying is cheaper. actually, google flights also includes eurostar as a transport option. and, heck, if you want more star alliance miles, then FLY. take LH via FRA or MUC to LHR. mo' miles, mo' miles.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Close, but no cigar. Cancelled my plans yesterday; well, the plans were cancelled a week or more ago, just my FF mile flight to Paris return was cancelled yesterday. :(

Long story, but turns out daughter didn't need more chemistry and biology this semester for graduate skool next fall. So said daughter still worked out a classroom setting; she's enrolled in a Nursing Certificate Program thingie. This six-week program should allow her to start working in a nursing tech capacity to get some real experience prior to her graduate nursing program.

The kicker is that she's up on the road at 6 am and doesn't get home till after 3 pm with a commute to Oakland and back. Sooooo, who gonna watch da dawgs??? Uh, that would be me! Yeah, I suppose we could have got a day-sitter for the dogs, but then that kinda defeats the purpose of having two kids back at home; we don't want to rely on son as his schedule is all over the map AND we want to make it easy for his departure again.

Have to catch Leela another time!

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Ah...that's a shame. Pets can be a real problem when it comes to travel. Now my cat's old and has an underlying condition, I'm not comfortable leaving him at home with a neighbour popping in and out. My daughter will still be at home I go away in March, but if he's still with us in the summer, I might have to pay serious money for a sitter or something.
Pass the wine...