Hong Kong

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Hong Kong

Post by Bastet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:17 am

What’s your fav things to do in Hong Kong?

I’m going for work next year again and I’m looking to see what I might have missed last time.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Re: Hong Kong

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:02 pm

What did you not miss last time?

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:00 am

Eat spicy prawns on Temple Street. Have cocktails at Madera Hotel's rooftop bar. Watch the harbor light show. Occasionally bar hop on Lan Kwai Fong. The rest of the time I mostly just roam around and eat.

Went up to Victoria Peak last weekend on my 6th visit. First time there. It was pretty meh. I wouldn't do it more than once.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:33 am

Catch ferry to Yung Shue Wan on Lamma, hike 3 hours or so to Sok Kwu Wan, have some seafood & beer at one of the restaurants there, catch ferry back.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Eating. Like Singapore, there's not much else to do there.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks for the replies.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Oh I like Kowloon park as well. Fun place to walk around.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:16 am

I forget the name, but either Honolulu Cafe or Honolulu Coffee Shop is an old school Hong Kong diner type place that has decent local food and great pastries/desserts like cream puffs. They're known for their egg tarts but I've had better elsewhere. That cheapest Michelin started dim sum place, Tim Ho Wan(?), is alright. There are a lot of tiny places that seem to be less than a meter wide that I've walked into and have had great meals.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:59 am

matt_melb wrote:Catch ferry to Yung Shue Wan on Lamma, hike 3 hours or so to Sok Kwu Wan, have some seafood & beer at one of the restaurants there, catch ferry back.

That looks fab.

Last time we were there it was so fucking hot I could barely move so a 3 hour hike you couldn't have paid me to do.

RichD
Stew Ingredient

Post by RichD » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:45 pm

The Peak: the Peak itself is not interesting, crowded, a Madame Tussauds. But go up before sunset, find Lugard Road - you can enter next to the Peak Lookout restaurant. It circles around the Peak - a nice 45 minute walk. You get the classic views of Hong Kong as the sun goes down and the city lights up. It is the most spectacular view in Hong Kong. Make sure it is not cloudy. The tram down is fun if there isn't an hour long queue. Taxis queues can be long too, book an Uber (pick up behind taxi rank).

Lantau: (where I live, visit!). Country park with cows and buffalo wandering the roads. Nice sandy beaches, old fishing village, Big Buddha (good to see....not essential). Restaurants on the beach at Cheung Sha (where I live).

Wandering the streets is the highlight for downtown HK. This is an alive city. Great food, lively nightlife.
Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength - Edmund Burke

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Yeah, hiking. The Lamma thing is not 3 hours, though, probably not even 2 hours.
See my thread on the Travel Journalism branch, Basted.
http://www.politicalstew.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=171228

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:26 pm

RichD wrote:The Peak: the Peak itself is not interesting, crowded, a Madame Tussauds. But go up before sunset, find Lugard Road - you can enter next to the Peak Lookout restaurant. It circles around the Peak - a nice 45 minute walk. You get the classic views of Hong Kong as the sun goes down and the city lights up. It is the most spectacular view in Hong Kong. Make sure it is not cloudy. The tram down is fun if there isn't an hour long queue. Taxis queues can be long too, book an Uber (pick up behind taxi rank).

Lantau: (where I live, visit!). Country park with cows and buffalo wandering the roads. Nice sandy beaches, old fishing village, Big Buddha (good to see....not essential). Restaurants on the beach at Cheung Sha (where I live).

Wandering the streets is the highlight for downtown HK. This is an alive city. Great food, lively nightlife.

Rich do you swim in those beaches?
The year I lived in HK many of the beaches were closed to swimming due to Tiger Shark attacks.
As I remember 2 people died and many more got injured.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!