Munich?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Munich?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Still working on putting together out trip for this summer.

Prague is in.
Kresty Kumal is in.

then it is either Budapest

or...if my wife insists...
Saltzburg

and then to fly out
Munich.

What about Munich, good/bad, what do you know.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: Munich?

Post by VinnyD » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Salzburg is nicer than you might think. It isn't just the Sound of Music and Mozart. You could do it on a day trip from Munich. I like Munich, but I like art museums and classical concerts. Besides a lot of those, there is a great museum of science and technology, the Deutsches Museum, a park designed by the American Count Rumford, the Englische Garten, with surfers at one end, lots of good food and beer, including good food at the Viktualien Markt near the center. Also palaces: the Residenz in the center Nymphenburg, easily accessible on public transport.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks Vinny.

I am thinking if we go that way we will probably do a night or two in Salzburg (depends on timing) and then on to Munich for a couple of days and fly home from there. I am kind of pulling for Budapest but we will see. Good to know I would probably enjoy Salzburg more than I think I would and Munich could be interesting for a couple of days.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:49 pm

Pull for Budapest. After Amsterdam it’s my favourite European city, and Amsterdam was my first love and almost doesn’t count.

All I’ve seen of Munich is the underground, the Oktoberfest and the four blocks or so between the Oktoberfest and our shitty AirBnB. Helpful!
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:44 am

Budapest is great.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:20 am

I also really like Budapest. And my Munich experience is similar to Ben's, except I made it out to Dachau and slept in the train station because I left it to late to get a room.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am

I really liked Budapest in 1973. Enough that I will probably go back this spring.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Munich and Salzburg are full of Nazis who were born after 1945 and thus should be avoided at all costs... much like the rest of Yurop.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks for the mostly helpful replies. My first choice would still be Budapest, but we both need to be happy with the trip and I don't have the idea of the alternative.

I do figure if we go to Munich we will go to one of the Nazi concentration camps, not because I am "excite" about the idea, but because I feel like it is something that is important to see. Much like the Holocaust Museum in DC and the 9/11 Memorial in NY. I have been to both once, I have no intention to ever go back to either one because it is just too depressing, but I think it is important.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 pm

At Munich you go to Dachau. These days you get to return from there as well.

On the train or driving, Munich and Salzburg make a good pair.

Salzburg pretty much ignored Sound of Music until recently, but they've acquiesced now.

Also there's the Red Bull air and motor museum - Hangar-7 http://www.hangar-7.com/en/hangar-7/

Other engineering interest around Salzburg is the KTM bike factory out near Mattighofen http://www.ktm.com/contact-folder/factory-tour

That said, Salzburg pretty much lives off tourism 7/365.

Apart from Mozart and SoM, the Stiegl brauhaus keller in the old town is as good a place as any to try fresh beer and a schnitzel. http://www.restaurant-stieglkeller.at/

In Munich, my favourite inner-urban beer garden is the Paulaner one at Kapuzinerplatz, but if the weather's nice, you can't beat the Englischer Garten beer area around the Chinese tower.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Note that Dachau was not an extermination camp like Buchenwald or Auschwitz. It was a prison camp, opened soon after Hitler came to power, because the regular prisons couldn't hold evryone that he wanted imprisoned. Worth the short trip.

My favorite restaurant in Munich is the Bratwurstherzl off the aforementioned Viktualienmarkt.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:41 pm

thanks

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Stan, I forget when you are thinking of going. But if you go to Budapest before June, report on it, please. I will probably be going there in June.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:51 pm

this company offers FREE walking city tours of munich. you just pay what you think the tour was worth. their other tours do have set prices.

http://www.neweuropetours.eu/munich/en/home

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:56 pm

cummy wrote:this company offers FREE walking city tours of munich. you just pay what you think the tour was worth. their other tours do have set prices.

http://www.neweuropetours.eu/munich/en/home

They're offer free walking tours in lots of European cities. Not Vienna, though; apparently free tours are not permitted there.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Vinny, we will be in July, so please report on your June trip.

Thanks to both about the tip of free walking tours.

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:19 am

Munich is a great city to base yourself to travel from, and there are heaps of day tours you can do that leave from in front of its central station, but do be careful to have a voucher for the tour as you will be asked for one.

We were nearly not allowed to join the tour a couple of years ago because we didn't have one, our travel agent told us [wrongly] that they are no longer needed in this computer age, we gave him a page out of our travel plans to prove that we had already paid.
'there are plenty of people out there'..................Donald Trump

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Another vote here for Budapest...we had such a great time there,the building are just so stunning,we went to one of the hot-spring baths which were interesting, the train/tram/bus system is briliant and easy to use but just walking around the city is a joy.

Hot chocolate and cake in a centurys old cafe are a great way to sit and watch the city go by.

I've never been to Saltzburg but i've yet to hear a good word said about it (until VinnyD recommended it...now thats a red flag if ever there was one :lol: )

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:25 pm

I was in Salzburg a couple of days ago.
Always enjoy going there. Then I was in Vienna for a couple of days. Busy with work but it always seems like a good place to me.