Israel

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Israel

Post by misanthrope » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:51 am

Don't laugh. But weird fortune is coming my way. The world lacrosse championships are coming to Netanya, Israel. I have a choice at this stage as to whether or not I want to referee. I won't go blue or green zone until next time, but I'm qualified to ref. And yes, cunts, I'm that good.
What would you do with 2-3 weeks in the region?

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Re: Israel

Post by GLimpet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Spend at least a few days in Haifa and TA.

I never have more than three or four days in Israel at a time, business in Herzliya mostly and Haifa to check equipment. But I stay in TA and take the train up and down. How much free time will you have?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Will all the players be from Maryland, New Jersey, and New York?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:28 pm

CB, there are plenty of good lacrosse players in Quebec and Ontario. North Carolina too (you may have heard something of the Duke lacrosse team a few years ago). Wherever there were Haudenosaunee.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:48 pm

I'd use the opportunity to go to Petra. So far, I passed up once chance for that (becauase it would have required a monstrous number of hours of travel each way, from the Sinai, for less than a day there) but am determined to get there some day.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:Will all the players be from Maryland, New Jersey, and New York?

New Jersey never belonged in that sentence. I suspect team Israel will be a lot of Long Islanders. Scotland and Ireland will be plastics. England will field their own team. Ditto that Australia. Canada. Iroquois nation. Over 60 countries involved now. It needs 75 for an Olympic bid. And no, most of the players won't be coming from NY or the New York-lite of lacrosse, Maryland.

Thanks for helping with my travel inquiry, though.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 pm

VinnyD wrote:CB, there are plenty of good lacrosse players in Quebec and Ontario. North Carolina too (you may have heard something of the Duke lacrosse team a few years ago). Wherever there were Haudenosaunee.

Most of those teams are fielded by northern players. You are correct about Canada, but it extends beyond those provinces.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Scrubb wrote:I'd use the opportunity to go to Petra. So far, I passed up once chance for that (becauase it would have required a monstrous number of hours of travel each way, from the Sinai, for less than a day there) but am determined to get there some day.

I've always wanted to go there as well. Does anyone have ideas about Beirut?

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:40 am

The answer to Beirut is always yes. Not sure how that will work currently in and out of Israel though. If you can do it, do it.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 am

VinnyD wrote:CB, there are plenty of good lacrosse players in Quebec and Ontario. North Carolina too (you may have heard something of the Duke lacrosse team a few years ago).

Here's the current Duke lacrosse team roster. One guy is from North Carolina.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=25941&SPID=2027

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 am

Lulu wrote:The answer to Beirut is always yes. Not sure how that will work currently in and out of Israel though. If you can do it, do it.

Last time I looked, via Cyprus was quickest way.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:18 pm

How much time will you have while not reffing?

I really liked northern Israel, the Galilee region. Tel Aviv is a cool city, reminded me of San Diego or Barcelona in terms of climate and location and the lifestyle that develops because of that. Jerusalem is well Jerusalem. I'd also recommend getting to Jordan, time permitting. Not just Petra but also Wadi Rum. I took a bus down to Eilat and crossed the border to Aqaba there. It was a breeze, although the time of day, late evening, might have helped. Coming back through the Hussein/Allenby Bridge crossing was long and tedious. Floating in the Dead Sea was a good experience. You can do that on either side.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 am

I should have a few weeks. The tournament last about 10 days, but the Australian contingent will be there a few weeks at the very least to get over the jet lag. Petra and Beirut sound amazing as well as the local cities. I've been waiting a long time for this one.

Is the difficulty going to be the scrutiny I get on the Israeli end? Will 2 passports help? Will the idea that the place will be flooded with people like me from all over the world help?

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:57 am

Passport doesn't make any difference.

Your entry stamp is just a bar code on a separate bit of paper now. But officials on both sides know if you're coming from/going to Israel by your itinerary.

Apart from that I know nothing about the land crossings.

Airport immigration involves a bit of questioning but mostly courteous and efficient.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 am

If you do visit Lebanon, do it first, before Israel would be the obvious/least hassly way to do it. Crossing borders into/out of Israel will be easily identifiable to Lebanese officials, even without the Israeli stamp.

Traveling between Jordan/Israel - I did it via Aqaba/Eilat. It was easy and quick, transport/movement-wise, however, possibly as I'd come overland through Syria (2009), I did get asked questions about Syria, where I'd been/why/what I did there/did I have relatives. More penetrating questions about what I was doing in Israel, previous visits, itinerary there, relatives/friends, etc.. Took about 5 minutes.

Though, if you do have a second passport, it might make a difference. Don't know how that would work, not having a second one myself.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:04 pm

I wanted my Beirut-based engineer to join me for meetings in Israel when I went down there earlier this year but it just got so fucking complicated, then he had to go to a job in Saudi anyway.

But he was going to go through Cyprus.
Possibly harder for him entering Israel as a Lebanese citizen, can't remember.

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 am

Take a road trip. This is how I did mine last spring:

Tel Aviv
Netanya (met with a TTer)
Caesarea
Haifa
Acre
Tiberias
Golan Heights
Nazareth
Beit Shean
Masada
Ein Gedi
Ein Bokek (Dead Sea)
Mamshit
Mitzpe Ramon
Jerusalem
West Bank

I would have added Safed and Amirim if I had the time.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Petra and or Wadi Rum can be included. Give at least 3 days to Jerusalem. Both the Galil and Negev are rewarding but dont ignore the upper Golan Heighs
Ereich
DCComic was, of course, the one doing the chasing. He appears to have misquoted Polar in his autosignature, something he has trouble with.

DCComic
I'm a crazy racist cunt.

No quotation marks used

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 am

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to find the best flight fro Australia. Oddly, Tbilisi and then onward to TA looks like the most economical.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Sounds great! Although Lebanon would be tricky as mentioned above. Any chance of getting a couple of nights in Tbilisi to/from Israel? Would be worth the stopover.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Israel

Post by flatfoot » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Can’t you fly Turkish? They always seem to be doing promotions, and they fly nice planes. A stopover in Istanbul would be worth the while (there are free tours from the airport for layovers as short as five hours, I think). Not so much Tbilisi. I mean, Tbilisi is fine, but...I don’t know. I wasn’t crazy about it. The food is good, though, and cheap. And Georgian wine is delicious. Okay maybe go there. You’ll meets lots of Israelis there. They were like the only other nationality I met when I went to Georgia last year.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 pm

There are very few connections to Israel from the east.

Hong Kong (El-Al, Cathay) and Seoul (Korean) are the most useful ones from Australia.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:51 am

simon_in_exile wrote:Sounds great! Although Lebanon would be tricky as mentioned above. Any chance of getting a couple of nights in Tbilisi to/from Israel? Would be worth the stopover.

i'm going to try. EIther there or Iran.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:49 am

Just booked straight through to tel aviv. I will go to Petra and will try to find a cheeky wt to get a few days in Beirut.

Purps
Stew Ingredient

Post by Purps » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 am

Tel Aviv is super expensive and apart from Jaffa, not really worth it. Jerusalem was beautiful- wish I had stayed there instead. Time permitting, you must see Petra and spend a night in Wadi Rum. I spent three nights in Petra and would have been happy with more as I love trekking and there were lots of places to wander.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am

there are affordable ways of staying in TA with Airbnb but Jerusalem is far more interesting.
Ereich
DCComic was, of course, the one doing the chasing. He appears to have misquoted Polar in his autosignature, something he has trouble with.

DCComic
I'm a crazy racist cunt.

No quotation marks used

GatoPingado
Stew Ingredient

Post by GatoPingado » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:51 pm
I've always wanted to go there as well. Does anyone have ideas about Beirut?
Beirut is outstanding. You'll need to scrub your bags and person of any trace of Israel. The Lebanese are very serious about this - I got held up flying into Beirut for at least a half hour when I went. The first immigration officer's superior greeted me with ma schlomcha (Hebrew for 'how are you?), to which I shrugged. Eventually they let me in.
Navy Seals!