Cajun Food and Zydeco Music

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Cajun Food and Zydeco Music

Post by 5waldos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Considering an easy trip in the spring aimed at crawfish and music. Anyone have any great ideas beyond New Orleans? Will probably rent a car and go. But where?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: Cajun Food and Zydeco Music

Post by VinnyD » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:53 pm

New Orleans of course has wonderful food, but the traditional food of New Orleans is Creole, not Cajun. You can find Cajun restaurants in New Orleans, just as you can find Chinese and Italian restaurants there.

The same is true for the music. Cajun/Zyedeco music is not native to New Orleans although you may find it there these days.

Lafayette is the biggest town in Cajun country.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:54 pm

I would go to Cajun country. New Orleans has some Cajun stuff, but it's not indigenous to the city. Cajun country is to the southwest of NO (Lafayette, Houma, Etc.). I can't remember any specifics, and anyway it's been 10-15 years for me. StaninMaryland probably has some ideas.

x-posted
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Check out Houma--look up a NYT 36 Hours in Houma.

And have you visited the plantations? My ancestor Ambroise Haydel/Heidel built (with assistance obv.) Whitney.