Czech Repbulic

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Czech Repbulic

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm

So I have gone through Wilster's recent post and made lots of notes but I am considering the idea of taking perhaps up to two weeks and just staying the Czech Republic. So any thoughts other than what was posted in Wilster's thread of things to do a bit further flung from Prague? Cultural, natural history, scenic, etc.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: Czech Repbulic

Post by VinnyD » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Not what you asked, but if you have never been to Vienna I would spend at least four nights there rather than in Olomouc or somewhere.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:22 pm

I have not, my wife has, and we are considering that possibility, although to be honest she was not overwhelmed and for some reason it isn't high on my list. I like to see things other than major cities rather than just visit a few cities in Europe we are considering the idea of just kind of a "slow travel" approach to CR. We could also just go for a shorter time and just do Prague and Cesky Krumlov which my wife loved on an earlier trip.

So yes, we could do Vienna or Munich or Budapest, and any of those could happen, but I am curious about up to two weeks just in CR.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:24 pm

At what time of year would you be visiting? From what I can find on Wikipedia, a visit to the Bohemian Forest might be possible year-round; hiking in summer, skiing in winter.

And once you've worn yourself out, you could spend some time relaxing at a spa, of which there are many in the Czech Republic. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia, with my parenthetical additions:

There are number of spa towns in the Czech Republic. Between the oldest and most visited are the spas of Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad in German), Mariánské Lázně (Marienbad), Františkovy Lázně, Luhačovice and Poděbrady. In 2011 the Czech spas were visited by around 700,000 guests, of whom around half were foreigners, mainly from Germany, Russia and Austria.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Sorry, that is important. It would be in July.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 pm

VinnyD wrote:Not what you asked, but if you have never been to Vienna I would spend at least four nights there rather than in Olomouc or somewhere.

Vinny, I might be biased but Olomouc is undoubtely picturesque, beautiful, and full of both history and young people.
I find Vienna somewhat...stale.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Thee are certainly a lot of old people in Vienna. The last time I was there, my (fairly recently widowed) sister commented on the number of good looking older men in the center. She contemplated renting an apartment for six months to try her luck.

I am not saying Olomouc does not have its charms, just that life is short and Vienna is one of the world's great cities. In any case, Stan seems to have abandoned the plan of sticking exclusively to the Czech Republic.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. After looking at options if we stay just with CR it will probably be in Prague with a few day trips. Or if we go longer Prague with a couple of stops on the way to somewhere else.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:47 pm

I am a big fan of Vienna. Prague, not really.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Re: Czech Repbulic and more

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:49 pm

So why choose between Budapest and Vienna, we will just do both. So tickets are booked. Into Budapest, then on to Vienna, a night in Cesky Krumlov and out of Prague.

Any suggestions for site, food and sites is welcome.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Bratislava is very close to Vienna. An hour by coach?

I was visiting a school friend about 20 years ago

I hope it has changed. The women were smoking. Unfortunately, the buildings were not.

I remember the train to Prague was about 4 hours.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm so fond of Budapest. We've been both in winter and summer now, and both were great in their different ways.

The food market is a must, and grabbing something hearty for lunch from one of the stalls on the mezzanine floor is fun.

Going to one or more of the spas is presumably a given? The Gellert is so atmospheric, but the outdoor one, Széchenyi, is also fun. In hindsight I wish we'd gone there on our winter trip, with the steam rising from the pools.

I've totally forgotten the names of the places where we ate. Maybe ben will be along with those.
Pass the wine...

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm thinking of going to the Sziget festival in Budapest in August. I have never been to Budapest before.

It's held on that island in the middle of the Danube, so within walking distance. No need for stinky toilets or wankers in tents.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I was going to go to Budapest in June, but I see the major art museum will be closed until the fall for restoration. So probably next year. This year is looking like Krakow and Prague along with Munich and maybe Berlin.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Vinny,

Yes, we will miss that art museum in Budapest and I think the clock in Prague. Ah well, such is life.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 am

Borkonhya Wine Kitchen in Budapest. Very affordable and tasty.
The Langós kiosk at Arany Janos metro station.
Steirereck in Vienna - pricey, but worth it.
The kebabs and hot dogs are very good in Vienna.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Iolar,

Thank you.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:34 pm

All I did in Prague was walk around - don't think I went to any museums or galleries but the city was great for walking with lots of beautiful public spaces.

Ceske Krumlov was great.

It was all so long ago that I can't give any recommendations at all.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks Scrubb. I am actually ok with just walking and enjoying a place. I can get museumed out pretty quickly. I think it will be fun to spend a night in Ceske Krumlov as so many people do it as a day trip that I think we will have a couple of hours in the evening and the morning where (while there will still be plenty of people) it will be a bit less crowded without the day-trippers.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Hey Stan, if you can/want, try this Czech Restaurant. I forgot how we stumbled on to it; maybe from my BIL who we met in Prague with his fiance--he's kind of a foodie:

Restaurant Mlejnice
Kožná 488/14, 110 00 Staré Město, Czechia

We liked it so much, we went there twice! I mean there are a ton of restaurants in town, but this one just kind of resonated with us. Nothing fancy, and the staff are "okay" but I could see where they were a little like :roll: if they thought one might try to throw their respective foreign weight around--I think they got a little frustrated with some of the Chinese/Asian tourists/travelers. We got on with them well enough. I wouldn't say it's tough to find, but is along a cobble stone road that starts to narrow. Also, be careful cuz I think there is maybe two restaurants by the same name. Just load the address above in your smart phone and you should be good to go.

Just checked, yep, there are two by the same name/owners. We were at the Kozna one above:

http://www.restaurace-mlejnice.cz/en/Ml ... ction.html

Also, rezuar had given me a couple suggestions which we followed up on for local spots; one place we had some beers, the second (the same day), we had a large appetizer type late lunch of cheese, meats, and bread.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 am

I just remembered the name of the restaurant on the river bank where we sat on the terrace and had a great meal. It's called The Dubarry. Service is great, as is the view.
Pass the wine...

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:21 am

leela wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 am
I just remembered the name of the restaurant on the river bank where we sat on the terrace and had a great meal. It's called The Dubarry. Service is great, as is the view.
Of course, Ms. Uptown, on the river, flying high--you probably travel business or first class too. Rub it in!
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks to you both. I really appreciate it. Wilster, small,local is something we enjoy as long as the food is good.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Possibly too late but the ferry from Vienna to Bratislava is worthwhile. I think you can go on to Budapest in the summer. (And the other way, of course.) We enjoyed a weekend in Bratisalava.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:29 pm
...as long as the food is good.
I don't think you will be disappointed. Also, although I didn't take one, there are "restaurant-crawls" I believe where you get to experience a lot of different establishments with a guide. Ms. Wilster and I took the Jewish Quarter Tour which is a walking tour that was interesting. There is a pedestrian street area downtown where you can simply just book the thing at one of the kiosks. Close by is the central square (with the clock, church, statue et al); hang there with a beer and some food (vendors on site at the square) before you have to go back to catch the tour if you have a wait at all for the next tour--the meeting place is at that pedestrian street two or three city blocks from the square.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:22 am

Thanks.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Hmm..should probably point out that my restaurant recommendation was for the Budapest part of the trip.
Pass the wine...

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks Leela. Definitely will be hitting the food stalls at the market also.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Well, air and all lodging is booked so I guess this is going to happen. Looking forward to the trip. Next, waiting for the July schedule to come up for the opera house in Vienna.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:05 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 pm
I was going to go to Budapest in June, but I see the major art museum will be closed until the fall for restoration. So probably next year. This year is looking like Krakow and Prague along with Munich and maybe Berlin.
But in September, as things now stand.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:43 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:05 pm
But in September, as things now stand.
I'll leave the lights on for you.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:06 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 pm
Well, air and all lodging is booked so I guess this is going to happen. Looking forward to the trip. Next, waiting for the July schedule to come up for the opera house in Vienna.
Stan, try not to miss the open air food fest in Rathhausplatz in Vienna. The food is amazing and the prices reasonable.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:00 pm

rezuar wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:06 am
Stan In Maryland wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 pm
Stan, try not to miss the open air food fest in Rathhausplatz in Vienna. The food is amazing and the prices reasonable.
Thank you. I made a note of that on my spreadsheet (seriously) it sounds great.