Been to Perth-Australia?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Been to Perth-Australia?

Post by jedgarandclyde » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:32 pm

This Island near the city does look well worth a visit......................

http://justanotherday.westernaustralia. ... 3:92479487
No signature for you!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: Been to Perth-Australia?

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Maybe someday, when I complete my circumnavigation of the island.

That will wait for a cold day in July.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Didn't much care for Perth at all. The area south along the coast and around to Albany was nice enough, as were portions beyond Albany on the way to Esperance.

Rat Nest Island was aptly named and not worth the half day wasted visiting.

Your results may vary, but you'd probably have a better time spending three hours going down to Margaret River.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 pm

It's a few years since I've been, and I stay with relatives when I go, but I like Perth and it's environs very much. And I enjoyed our trip to Rottnest a lot.

I find Perth and Fremantle to be really relaxed places. Lots of parkland, good beaches, and lots of natural areas and wildlife.
And yep, I recommend driving down to Albany, too.
Pass the wine...

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:32 pm

As soon as i read 'rats nest' i stopped,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think this guy would boo Santa.
No signature for you!

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:24 am

,I think this guy would boo Santa.

Where do you stand on the legitimacy of the Easter bunny?

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:39 pm

You get the impression that Rottnest would have been great for Perth locals when holiday horizons were limited.

Now that everyone jets off to Bali, 3h45 flying time from Perth, Rottnest is more of a weekender for the well-to-do, family day trips and occasional stag/hen parties. It takes at least an hour to get there by public transport unless you live by the Freo ferry terminal, not minutes as claimed in the link.

Still has its charms, though. This article describes it better:
http://www.traveller.com.au/secret-char ... land-2iv2y

I once flew to Rottnest for coffee, with a friend who was getting up his flying hours with an instructor. We landed on Rotto at the tiny airstrip, strolled to The Dome cafe past unconcerned quokkas, had a leisurely flat white, then flew back to Jandakot.

Renting a house there in low season can be a relaxing break if you don't mind the squally weather.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 am

Rottnest was the highlight of the family holiday we had in Perth. Beautiful sunny day, we hired bikes, the kids love it.

Generally I don't much like Perth though. Too many buildings, not enough people. Everything shuts down about 5pm. Lots of empty space, but nowhere to park. Addicted to roads. Too many people showing off their recently acquired wealth (cubs = cashed up bogans). Constantly comparing themselves to the other capitals and making excuses for their shortcomings ('our coffees aren't really more expensive than Melbourne's when you take account of the rents').

And they claim they always have perfect weather, but every time I've been it's either been really wet or really windy and the locals have always claimed it's really unusual.

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 am

matt_melb wrote:Rottnest was the highlight of the family holiday we had in Perth.

The highlight of Perth was being anywhere other than Perth. That is what I wrote. Well, not precisely anywhere. Rat's Nest was best suited as a penal colony.

The island was named by Willem de Vlamingh in 1696, who called it Rotte nest ("rat's nest"). Since the establishment of the Swan River Colony by British settlers in 1829, the island has variously hosted a penal colony, military installations, and internment camps for enemy aliens.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Closest I got was Kwinana..

Or 'Kwineee' to the locals..

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:58 pm

2wilzgood wrote:
matt_melb wrote:Rottnest was the highlight of the family holiday we had in Perth.

The highlight of Perth was being anywhere other than Perth. That is what I wrote.

Yep, everything else is more interesting than that empty country town. When I can I stay in Freo instead.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 am

I've been a few times, once about a month ago. Rottnest is one of the most unique and special places in Australia. And it was called Rottnest (Rat's Nest) as the Dutch thought that the quokkas were large rats.

I don't think much of Perth city, but the wine regions are nice as are the beaches, etc. even if the wine isn't as nice as SA.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 am

The Perthobia of Eastern Staters is bizarre.

It's about as pleasant as a small but sprawling, very isolated city of 2m can be.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:51 pm

GLimpet wrote:The Perthobia of Eastern Staters is bizarre.

It's about as pleasant as a small but sprawling, very isolated city of 2m can be.

I don't get it either. It's comes across like a form of snobbery.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 pm

No need to be polite. It is snobbery.

On which topic, I recall a quote by an industry colleague who bought a house in Daglish, Perth and described his neighbours as "snobs with fuckall to be snobby about".

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:08 pm

There are also plenty of good bars and cafes in the CBD , Northbridge, Leederville and Mt Lawley these days, as well as the traditional nightlife areas of Subi and Freo.

We should have a pissup there some time.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Also the only Australian city with a Brazilian, er, strip.
https://www.facebook.com/scarbrazil.scarborough

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Freo is nice. TBH, I've been there about 20 years ago and stayed in Northbridge, which I'm sure has changed a huge amount. Second time was for a wedding, where we were in the Swan Valley all the way down to Margaret River. Third time I refereed a sporting event and hardly saw anything but a field and the inside of a locker room.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Freo is a bit boring these days. The Notre Dame part is dead for much of the year and the council has been taken over by banny nannies and Greens.

Northbridge has indeed changed a huge amount and continues to change.

Plus the CBD lanes have opened up to bars etc.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:18 am

Have never been but have a close (or as close as I suppose one can be) friend who lives there. His take on it is that the small bars options have opened up nightlife amazingly but that the city remains a design disaster of ever-swelling proportions. Which is odd as two of Australia's greatest architects made Perth their stomping-grounds and it is the location of the best Mid-20th Century office building outside of North America.

I think the jaw-dropping suburban sprawl - which far exceeds even the American version is terms of both wasted space and shitty buildings - is behind his rationale.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:22 am

I hope you don't mean that Perth city council building.

It looks better in photos.

I used to work in 1 St George's Terrace when it was the ATO. Now the Duxton Hotel. A few glitzy touches has turned it from stolid bureaucracy to Oz Vegas.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:42 am

leela wrote:
GLimpet wrote:The Perthobia of Eastern Staters is bizarre.

I don't get it either. It's comes across like a form of snobbery.

It’s not though. I was excited to be going the first time I went; I’d heard mostly good stuff; my first attempt to organise a family holiday there had failed spectacularly (airline went bust), so when I finally it to go I was really looking forward to it. But ... meh. Then several return visits just confirmed that.

If there was a general snobby attitude against it, that would be a reason for me to be contrarian and try extra hard to like it.

It’s just not a very interesting place. It’s not horrible, just not great.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:49 pm

You people know it was an aboriginal extermination camp right?
From when the whites invaded and cleared out the troublesome blacks from their lands.
Multiple 100s of bodies in unmarked graves..
I mean nice place for a holiday for you white cunts, as long as you're aware what went on there..

It is time for Australia to face the truth about hundreds of Aboriginal prisoners who died on Rottnest Island in the 19th century and are buried in unmarked graves, a leading Aboriginal academic says.

WARNING: This story contains images of Aboriginal people who have died.

Len Collard is a Whadjuk Noongar elder and professor of Aboriginal studies at University of Western Australia.

He has called for a more honest narrative about the jailing of 4,000 Aboriginal men and boys on Rottnest Island between 1838 and 1902.

The prison began as a "bold experiment" to give Indigenous offenders more freedom from confinement but became the centrepiece of a criminal justice system designed to crush any resistance to the spread of white settlement around the state, Professor Collard said.

"Rottnest became a prisoner of war camp where the patriots were chained up and removed from their country, from not only here in the Whadjuk lands but right across Western Australia, brought here to be imprisoned and do their time for whatever the allegation was," he said.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-1 ... fmredir=sm

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:30 am

I'm aware. But if we weren't to visit places like that there would be nowhere left to go. Except Canada, where the natives willingly gave their land to the whites.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:23 am

misanthrope wrote:I'm aware. But if we weren't to visit places like that there would be nowhere left to go. Except Canada, where the natives willingly gave their land to the whites.

:D
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 am

Lost Soul wrote:
misanthrope wrote:I'm aware. But if we weren't to visit places like that there would be nowhere left to go. Except Canada, where the natives willingly gave their land to the whites.

:D

:lol: x 2

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 pm

Yebbut forced to sing Kumbayah.