How far ahead do you plan a big trip?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

How far ahead do you plan a big trip?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm a long way off from being able to hit the road for an extended period....but i've got lots of trips in my head.

Part of the joy of travel me is in the planning of the trip....i don't like to over-plan but i like to have an idea of how long i can afford to go for,where to go,what to see and so i spend hours looking at things on t'internet

My next long trip will be either 9-12 months in South America or 6 months in asia to re-connect with the travel vibe.

I've got a 14 y.o kid to get through school and settled plus i need to save a bit to fund the trip and setup retirement....so, in my head its 5 years away,can you leave a 19 year old on his own or will he burn down the house?

I know places change but they don't change that much in 5 years so i'm starting to plan now...just a bit.

How far in advance do you start looking?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Re: How far ahead do you plan a big trip?

Post by mad hatter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:43 pm

usually a year izh but why not plan a big one earlier.

whats the rough itineray you havein your mind?
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 pm

The answer depends on when the urge to travel hits and is often controlled by when a good time to go is weather-wise (I will never go in the off-off season or in the peak peak season, but prefer the shoulder season so as not to be competing against hoards of travelers for a place to stay or for transportation.
For my trip to Argentina/Chile for example (which was for about 4 weeks from March 6 to April 4) my planning was about 5 months, and I wanted to avoid December, January, and February which is when all of the Argies travel. Arrival in Buenos Aires during the first week of March was perfect, and I had excellent weather for BA, El Chalten, El Calafate, Puerto Natales, Hiking "The W" trail in Patagonia (Torres Del Paine) , Punta Arenas, and Ushuaia in Tierra Del Fuego returning to BA on April 2. I had previously been to Bariloche so did not include it in that trip.

Planning also depends on whether I had been to that country or area before. If I had been there before then very little planning would be necessary.

For lengthy trips of several months which involve several countries I would start planning 12 months or more in advance as there is much to learn.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:23 pm

I have the next 3 years destinations planned already but the detailed planning start pretty much after the last one finished.

I love holiday planning. It’s a big part of the fun for me. It builds up the anticipation.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Part of the joy of travel me is in the planning of the trip

x2.
Wibble.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm

x3.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

I agree that part of the fun is the planning and learning something about the place in advance. I have worked on trips that we haven't taken (yet) because plans changed. I am running a bit behind this time as we plan to travel in July to either Great Britain or Prague and I haven' really started planning. We need to make a final decision on the destination.

I don't plan a detailed schedule but a general outline an if certain places we want to see are open only on certain days I make note of that.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:16 pm

I don't plan. I wing it.

To be honest I'm not even sure what you're all talking about when you're talking about 'detailed planning' or 'much to learn'. What is it you're reading up? What information are you armed with when you go abroad?

I genuinely don't know.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:39 pm

The longer the travel time line, the less planning needs to be done.
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:I don't plan. I wing it.

To be honest I'm not even sure what you're all talking about when you're talking about 'detailed planning' or 'much to learn'. What is it you're reading up? What information are you armed with when you go abroad?

I genuinely don't know.

I don't want to go to Southeast Asia DURING THE MONSOON, for example; and
I don't want to be in India during June, July, and August when you can get HEAT STROKE, for example.
I would like to learn how to say some things in the local language(s), too.
I would want to know where the dangerous parts of a city are located: The area around La Boca in Buenos Aires, for example, is considered very dangerous.
There are hundreds of thousands of such examples which I could list.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 am

I really don't think there are.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm

I like nice places to stay. I don't consider them just as a place to sleep and shower. Many of the places I've stayed in actively contributed to my enjoyment of my trip. Like the former biological research station in Kirindy:

Image026 by Bitter Herbs, on Flickr

or my waterfront hotel in Drake Bay, where you get picked up, from the airfield, by tractor:

Image202 by Bitter Herbs, on Flickr
Wibble.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:02 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:I really don't think there are.
how do you know if you havent looked?
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:07 pm

steveogolf wrote:

I genuinely don't know.

I don't want to go to Southeast Asia DURING THE MONSOON, for example; and
I don't want to be in India during June, July, and August when you can get HEAT STROKE, for example.
I would like to learn how to say some things in the local language(s), too.
I would want to know where the dangerous parts of a city are located: The area around La Boca in Buenos Aires, for example, is considered very dangerous.
There are hundreds of thousands of such examples which I could list.

All this can be researched in a hour.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 pm

Learning a new language in an hour? You must be a genius!
And the thousands of other things which need researching you can do in the remaining part of an hour. Wow, definitely beyond genius!

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 pm

I used to love all the research for a trip. But I've got a lot sloppier in recent years.
I rarely decide on a trip/book flights more than two or three months before, though. I can't maintain enthusiasm and anticipation for a destination for six months, for instance. People that book holidays a year ahead puzzle me.
Pass the wine...

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:51 pm

steveogolf wrote:Learning a new language in an hour? You must be a genius!
And the thousands of other things which need researching you can do in the remaining part of an hour. Wow, definitely beyond genius!

Thousands? In that case half an hour. I thought we were talking hundreds of thousands.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:23 pm

I genuinely don't know.

Before traveling internationally, I generally spend a lot of time learning about where I'm going. I read up on the history and culture for starters. I try to learn a bit of the language as needed. I read the English language news coming out of any given country for at least a month before hand. I read up about the government and current events. I look into scams and any health shit that needs to be sorted. I enjoy the planning and learning about other cultures so that I can gain as much from the visit as possible in what will inevitably be too little time.

Especially now that my foreign travel isn't as frequent as it used to be, I try to maximize what I know before I go as I usually have limited amounts of time to experience things at ground level. I figure out the logistics of traveling between places, look into holidays and festivals that might be going on, plan around political bullshit and make sure the places I want to visit are accessible when I am there.

I realize to some, this seems tedious, but to me, it simply builds to a crescendo when I actually get there.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Fuck me...Moe just nailed it!

You see Moe,we're not so different you and I are we?

I'm welling up here,who'd have thought it...me and Moe,best-good-buddies.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:12 am

I was looking up best options to get to Lincoln last night.

Looks like FlyBe to Humberside then drive.

Any more info on parts of town to avoid and a few phrases in local language?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:18 pm

With the advent of cheap flights to Humberside and the type of people these fares attract, crime, particularly anti social behavior has soared in Lincoln. Best to avoid the area north of the river and east of the university.

Helpful phrases: "Help", "Don't shoot", "Take my wallet" and "I need a doctor"
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Cheeky twat,Lincoln is a very cool place and beautiful in the "Uphill" area,you'll be fine Glimpet although you are carrying the double whammy on your back of being Aussie and Scottish...you'll get at least 1 good kicking when you visit but i'd say thats reasonable :D

That poncey hotel you are at for the wedding is smack bang in the centre of the Bailgate district which is the main tourist area and really nice,loads of little shops and tea rooms,pricey pubs and the greatest cathedral on this planet....i'm not sure where you are staying (you aint fcuking staying at mine) but i would recommend staying around the downhill area and walking up steep hill to your event.

We're meeting up for a beer right?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Lincoln wrote:Fuck me...Moe just nailed it!

You see Moe,we're not so different you and I are we?

I'm welling up here,who'd have thought it...me and Moe,best-good-buddies.
its uncanny. were the two of you split up at birth, with moe being adopted by dirty filthy furriners while lincoln brought up in the purity of the motherland.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:58 pm

I agree with Moe & Lincs.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 am

Lincoln wrote:We're meeting up for a beer right?

Oh, gawd no.

One of these places:
https://www.visitlincoln.com/food-drink ... ktail-bars

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:27 pm

date!

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:53 pm

I don't know if it counts as "planning" but I was just thinking in preparation for a trip to China I read two books on Chinese history and for Alaska one rather thick book. I don't really know how long either took but they were hours I enjoyed and added to my enjoyment of the trips.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 pm

steveogolf wrote:I agree with Moe & Lincs.

Me too!

And I get very uncomfortable if I don’t have a trip to plan- which I mostly don’t right now because of - stuff. I feel trapped. Perhaps I best just make some assumptions but not start booking anything.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 am

I have more fun when I wing it. Sure I try to figure out the basics before I go. But I like to change things when I'm there.
I feel trapped when I know the details.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:22 am

Yep. I research transport options, places to stay etc in some detail. But the ideal trip involves making decisions on the hoof, backed by the knowledge I have.
Pass the wine...

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 pm

5waldos wrote:And I get very uncomfortable if I don’t have a trip to plan- which I mostly don’t right now because of - stuff. I feel trapped. Perhaps I best just make some assumptions but not start booking anything.

With your experience you would be great at travel planning for others. You could take a paid positions or set up a web site and do a home based one.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:30 pm

I spend more time planning other people's trips than my own. I generally make it up as I go along, partly because I'm lazy but mainly because I hate to narrow my options down by having a schedule. Im not trying to sound nonchalant here - it can be a curse, but it's just how my brain works.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 pm

twodogs wrote:
5waldos wrote:And I get very uncomfortable if I don’t have a trip to plan- which I mostly don’t right now because of - stuff. I feel trapped. Perhaps I best just make some assumptions but not start booking anything.

With your experience you would be great at travel planning for others. You could take a paid positions or set up a web site and do a home based one.

I would love to do that but have no idea how to set up such a scheme. It would be great fun.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 pm

99.99 percent of web sites fail but if you are willing to invest some time and money these guys offer honest advice and a fair price in an all inclusive package. $30 a month or $300 a year.

http://www.sitesell.com/

Read some of these testimonials to get an idea of what to expect.

http://www.sitesell.com/blog/2017/03/solo-build-it-online-success-secrets.html

I wouldn't quit my day job to go into this but if you have the time and money at the very least it will teach you some new skills.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Ha. That's something that real life people have suggested to me, too!

At the moment, having time on my hands, I'm really enjoying researching stuff for a friend's future trip.
Pass the wine...

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 am

No problem with quitting the day job- retired nearly eight years ago. So lots of time. New skills- will see what these might be- I’m getting old for new skills. I want to be sure I keep my old ones!

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:31 am

This may be the simplest option to get started. As of a few minutes ago 5waldos.com is available.

https://www.wix.com/website-template/view/html/1845?originUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wix.com%2Fwebsite%2Ftemplates%2Fhtml%2Faccommodation%2Ftravel-tourism%2F1&bookName=create-master-new&galleryDocIndex=6&category=accommodation&metaSiteId=&viewMode=desktop

Just start blogging about your past trips, create a 5waldos facebook page, tell all your friends, post something new once a week and see what happens.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:55 pm

When I took a year abroad in my 20s I probably spent 6 months or so planning, though it might have been less if I didn't have a 6 month job contract. I mostly picked places I wanted, bought a round the world plane ticket, and packed a rucksack like a good l00ser. Not much planning beyond that.

These days a "big trip" is typically a 3 week international trip. We'll talk about ideas a long ways out - usually on the way back from our last trip. When it starts to coalesce into a place we'll start to nail things down. Try to do plane tickets 6 months or so in advance, hotels/ airbnb a few months in advance, cars and tours pretty last minute. We don't have all our activities planned, but I'll read enough online and in books to have a list of possible things to do with a few can't miss items. I also enjoy reading about places and possible things to do. The internet has really made this an easy and enjoyable thing.