I know San Diego will be nice . . .

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

I know San Diego will be nice . . .

Post by Lime_Pickle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 pm

in November but what about Monterey and San Francisco?
Wibble.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Re: I know San Diego will be nice . . .

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Mild Monterey:
https://weatherspark.com/m/1042/11/Aver ... ted-States

A bit chillier in SF, with increasing chances for rain as the month goes on
https://weatherspark.com/m/557/11/Avera ... ted-States

What are your travel dates?

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Lime_Pickle wrote:in November but what about Monterey and San Francisco?

November could be wet, but not too bad and if a storm(s) comes in it will move to the East. What we shouldn't have are days of gray and drizzle. You can experience some of the most brilliant days in November between storms if there are any at all. One would have to look online as the advancing of precipitation as the month goes on i.e. more later in the month vs the beginning of the same. Chances are you should experience some nice days; November is not our wettest month(s). Those are left for January and February.

Days of course will be shorter, but temps should not be too bad; again, we reserve the colder months for Jan and Feb.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm flying into San Francisco on 11 November and out of San Diego on 22 November.

Thanks Chip, Wilster.
Wibble.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 pm

How about Santa Barbara as your final stop before San Diego?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:34 pm

November is perfect on the coast. The further north you go the rainier it gets.

Check out 'Old Town' when you get to San Diego. It's the birthplace of California. http://www.oldtownsandiegoguide.com/

Presidio Park is on the hill behind Old Town. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidio_Park
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:28 am

Is there ever good weather in San Francisco?
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:23 am

South Beach Bar and Grill for tacos.
https://southbeachob.com/menu

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 am

Godjira wrote:Is there ever good weather in San Francisco?

Sept/Oct is summer. But I like fog and rain.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:24 am

Godjira wrote:Is there ever good weather in San Francisco?

every day is a beautiful day here. it's just that some days are more beautiful than others.

^^^ THAT.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Santa Barbara might be quite a good pick, actually as both my trains stop there.
Wibble.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:05 pm

You need to book ahead for an Alcatraz tour, There are decent tours to Muir Woods while you are in SF, Santa Barbara is easy to do by train as is Paso Robles if you enjoy wine tasting or plan on visiting the Hearst Castle. Try to snag a seat on the right side of the train on your way south. For a truly enjoyable holiday avoid Los Angeles as much as possible.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:53 pm

twodogs wrote:You need to book ahead for an Alcatraz tour, There are decent tours to Muir Woods while you are in SF, Santa Barbara is easy to do by train as is Paso Robles if you enjoy wine tasting or plan on visiting the Hearst Castle. Try to snag a seat on the right side of the train on your way south. For a truly enjoyable holiday avoid Los Angeles as much as possible.

Actually, if you're using the train, you will be on a bus from San Jose (Bay Area) to San Luis Obispo or visa versa. A train will not stop in Paso Robles, but you could get off the bus which as outlined above is a great wine tasting area (and has been for years...forget Napa, this area is world class and many vintners in Napa actually grow grapes here too). Instead of staying in say Paso Robles (means the "the pass through the oaks" btw where I lived for a spell in the late 80's), you might get off the train/bus (depending on the direction you are coming from) and stay in San Luis Obispo. It's a nice university town and I have to imagine you could get on day tours for wine tasting in Paso area (about 30 minutes away) and Hearst Castle and the coast (same, about 30 minutes away). If you're in SLO town on a Thursday night, there's an excellent farmer's market downtown where they close off city streets for the event; runs till about 8 or 9 pm.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:58 am

Amtrak's Coast Starlight stops in Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo. SLO will be cooler and better situated than Paso Robles for the Hearst Castle so it is a good choice as well.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/408/807/Amtrak-Coast-Starlight-Train-Route-Guide-2014,0.pdf

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:29 am

twodogs wrote:Amtrak's Coast Starlight stops in Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo. SLO will be cooler and better situated than Paso Robles for the Hearst Castle so it is a good choice as well.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/408/807/Amtrak-Coast-Starlight-Train-Route-Guide-2014,0.pdf

:roll: I don't know what part you don't understand. The Coast Starlight certainly stops in Paso Robles; it's just that you are on a bus when arriving or departing. If you are going to arrive in SLO from the north, you will do so from a bus and then get on a train to go further south. The reverse is opposite. Fuck, should I break out crayons in the next post?

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 am

I was there in the summer one time, and it was freaky. Drive anywhere out of San Francisco, it was sunny and hot, drive back in- it was cloudy and cold.

By the way, Nestle bought Blue Bottle Coffee!
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 am

I went on a "mystery flight" with Western (or something) Air 20 years ago. They would call the day before and tell you what the weather is at your destination so you could pack. 85F and sunny! Well, that was SJose. How many times can one tour the Winchester Mystery House? I had to buy warm clothes when I got to SF.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm

So, booked my train tickets and my hotels in San Francisco and Santa Barbara, but what's a pretty, walkable neighbourhood in San Diego (I don't drive) for hotel choosing purposes?
Wibble.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Mission Beach
La Jolla

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Little Italy would fit the bill, I believe.

Don't stay in the Gaslamp. Like being in the middle of the French Quarter.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:31 pm

If you're downtown-ish, you can walk to the airport.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Don't stay in the Gaslamp

Really? There's a super cute Kimpton there.
Wibble.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Lime_Pickle wrote:
Don't stay in the Gaslamp

Really? There's a super cute Kimpton there.

"Sorry, people come here to party" is what the security officer at the Hilton (or Westin) told me at 3, then 4 am. It wasn't just one bad group either.

It might be fine though. Gaslamp is the party area though, and really touristy.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:03 pm

OK, found a cute hotel in Little Italy . . .
Wibble.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Lime_Pickle wrote:So, booked my train tickets and my hotels in San Francisco and Santa Barbara, but what's a pretty, walkable neighbourhood in San Diego (I don't drive) for hotel choosing purposes?

The Old Town area has a bunch of hotels and motels, and a new Hilton. Motel row is right around the corner where I-8 meets I-5. It's close to Mission Bay, the zoo and the beaches.

La Jolla and the beaches are spendy. But it's always a nice walk down the boardwalk of Pacific Beach.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:22 pm

I stayed in Old Town once, in a nice, renovated motel. It is kind of cut off from the rest of the city, though--so could be isolating for the non-driving pickle.

As an aside, I hate driving on the freeways in SoCal.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:23 pm

https://www.yelp.com/biz/little-italy-san-diego-3

I'll try to remember where I ate. The waiter was stunning.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:31 pm

I nearly forgot--I did stay in Little Italy another time, at what was Hotel Vyvant, now Hotel Found.

If that's it, ask them if they have my favorite, light bathrobe that I left in the shared bathroom. :-(

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Spend some time out at Point Loma, go down to the tide pools at Cabrillo National Monument.
https://www.nps.gov/cabr/learn/nature/visiting-the-tidepools.htm

There's a tide chart in the link so you can plan the best time for access. Point Loma is good for spotting whales but sounds like you may be early for the gray whale migration. I'm a fan of Coronado island, but all of my experience is very dated there. Try to get out to Anza-Borrego state park.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:39 pm

There are plenty of hipster cafes in North Park.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:41 pm

She has no car to get to Anza-Borrego.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:50 pm

I still say the Old Town area is your best bet. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7575115,-117.1956318,16.11z

The Old Town transit center is right there with buses, trains and streetcars. Amtrack stops there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Town_Transit_Center
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 pm

twodogs wrote:Amtrak's Coast Starlight stops in Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo. SLO will be cooler and better situated than Paso Robles for the Hearst Castle so it is a good choice as well.

twodogs, you are correct, my bad; please breakout the crayons for me next time! I think I was thinking of the Thruway Amtrak Ticket that we put the kids on a while back where they took the bus from SJC to SLO, then got on the train to Santa Barbara. But then, being a few years ago, perhaps it was Graydawg we put the kids on!

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:02 am

Wilster wrote:

twodogs, you are correct, my bad; please breakout the crayons for me next time! I think I was thinking of the Thruway Amtrak Ticket that we put the kids on a while back where they took the bus from SJC to SLO, then got on the train to Santa Barbara. But then, being a few years ago, perhaps it was Graydawg we put the kids on!

No worries, that is why I included the link, you do have to be careful when booking tickets since Amtrak uses buses on some routes or if there are problems with the track.

I surveyed some track equipment between PR and SLO a few years ago and used Amtrak to get there and back. Great scenery south of SLO not so much north of PR.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:35 am

twodogs wrote:No worries, that is why I included the link, you do have to be careful when booking tickets since Amtrak uses buses on some routes or if there are problems with the track.

You are very diplomatic, especially for someone that has lived in the area and got on their soapbox. Stunning picture and a route, the train one, that I have never taken. Loved/love the area, always found some interesting areas in the area, Central Coast, when I lived there.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Never lived there but I used to do track work in the area from time to time.

If you decide to go fly or drive to San Diego or Los Angeles and take the northbound train. Amtrak trains are habitually late and the southbound train usually passes the scenic coastal areas after sunset. If you prefer travelling south get off the Coast Starlight in SLO spend a night or two and take a Surfliner to San Diego so you get to see everything during daylight hours.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:23 am

I'm sure you're right but I've already done the Coast Starlight northbound (from Los Angeles to Salinas, a couple of years ago). Plus my flight (into SFO, out of SAN) is already booked. So I'm definitely travelling south. I'll have 3 nights in San Francisco (then get the Coast Starlight), 3 in Santa Barbara (then get the Pacific Surfliner) and 4 in San Diego. I think.
Wibble.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Lime_Pickle wrote:I'm sure you're right but I've already done the Coast Starlight northbound (from Los Angeles to Salinas, a couple of years ago). Plus my flight (into SFO, out of SAN) is already booked. So I'm definitely travelling south. I'll have 3 nights in San Francisco (then get the Coast Starlight), 3 in Santa Barbara (then get the Pacific Surfliner) and 4 in San Diego. I think.

That will work out very well Lime, enjoy your trip.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Oh, and back to San Diego hotels. Is La Jolla a practical choice for someone who doesn't drive?
Wibble.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:28 pm

By bus it's nearly an hour north of town and usually more expensive than San Diego. If I were on foot I would stay somewhere in or near the gas lamp area where there are multiple transportation options and make a day trip to La Jolla.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:02 am

i went to SF around 11 of november couple of years ago ( when i met cummy) and it was sunny and 17-22C. beautiful weather. slightly crispy at night but tshirt during daytime.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 am

You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:17 am

Lime Pickle, La Jolla is very walkable and you can take an Uber or Lyft downtown if needed.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 am

They always reveal themselves. Sad.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 am

Thanks for all the tips. The reason I asked about La Jolla was (sorry) based on my misreading of a hotel's prices. So I'm back to downtown. Little Italy (some cute hotels but they all have the sort of bad reviews on TA that I care about) and Gaslamp (my favourite chain but noisy/crowded). Aaarrrgggghh. I'm not usually this indecisive.
Wibble.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:08 am

For the fourth time, Old Town is the region you want to stay in without a car. And for reasons already mentioned.

Remember, locals are not the best people to ask about traveling to or in their town.

But I digress. Sad.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 am

1. I don't think there are any 'locals' in this thread. Avalon_ hasn't posted for ages.

2. Nothing is 'sad' about anything anyone had said here. People are just being informative/helpful, even if their advice isn't always for me.
Wibble.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:44 am

One can always stay in Pacific Beach and Uber downtown. Cuch and I met in PB for beers back in the day.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Do you have to book now?

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

No, or rather I can book somewhere on booking.com and cancel nearer the time if I find somewhere nicer.
Wibble.