Barbados

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Barbados

Post by Lincoln » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm all booked for December and we've got a couple of weeks there and i'm wondering if any of you have been?

I had a brief stoppover last year there but saw nothing of it other than a bar outside the airport.

Looks like an interesting island though, very flat so should be easy to get around.

Whats the herb scene like over there?...i have heard they are a little conservative over there and that does back up my experience of the Bajans i've worked with when we lived in London...a tad stiff.

I particularly like to see old churches/museums from the colonial days and art galleries from locals and jazz.

Have you been?

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Re: Barbados

Post by Cyllarus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Been twice in last several years. Caribbean side very built up. First time stayed at Bathsheba Beach (surf central) on Atlantic side in Seaview Guesthouse. Great place with only 5 rooms that just happened to be filled with Canadian couples that time. Great fun for all of us but owner (german gal) was depressed as she was waiting for court hearing as she had run over a drunk lying on the road. Water rough over there and need local knowledge

Second time stayed at Rockley Beach condos situated right on golf course. Nice place, quiet and good pool. 10 minute walk to Rockley Beach. Get some transport so you can go to Carlyle Bay every morning for snorkel at 7 a.m. Park and walk right in. Couple of wrecks about 500 metres off shore that are artificial reefs with turtles and all sorts of fish. Swimming out here and snorkelling is great start to the day. Nice Maritime museum in Bridgetown. St. Nicholas Distillery up in hills above Bathsheba was one day highlight - 16th century distillery that fell into wrack and ruin due to usual family squabbles, murder, etc. Canadian architect bought it and it is completely rebuilt to original splendor. Really impressive. Good rum as well.

St lawrence gap is hearty party scene but pricey palce to eat and drink. Find places off the strip that loals party in is better idea.

Can't help you with the herb. My thought is you have to be a bit dim to indulge in other countries.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:02 pm

My thought is you have to be a bit dim to indulge in other countries.

Of course you do. Fortunately, Lincoln fits the bill.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks for that Cyllerus...agree with the being dim bit about scoring weed overseas but maybe i am a little dim :lol:

TBH i don't really need it to enjoy myself...did you get to see any museums when you were there?

For some reason a cannot wait to get there, i've booked a car for the whole trip and we'll be out every day sussing the place out,theres the MIL tagging along and the kid so its always a challenge to keep everyone happy but we travel well together....fcuking car hire is expensive though isn't it!....i booked a banger with a small local firm but its still pricey.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:48 pm

As I mentioned. Good Maritime museum in Bridgetown.

This place was stellar. Worth a half or full day outing:

http://www.stnicholasabbey.com/

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks for tip on St Nicholas distillary....we went today and has been the highlight so far.Bathsheba was also a great find.Speightstown though is my favourite town,just what a caribbean small town should be.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 am

My last name is one of the most common in Barbados.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Haynes?