Six months

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Six months

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:05 pm

No, not in a leaky boat.

Say you want to explore some national parks in the U.S., some off-the-beaten-path places, a few picturesque lakes (Tahoe is a must return), and throw in a few relaxing trips to Mexico and/or Costa Rica and maybe Iceland, Ireland, and Portugal/Spain. Just a few ideas. Oh and maybe Australia for Christmas/New Year's.

What would you need to consider?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Re: Six months

Post by mad hatter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:17 pm

probably a tighter itinerary?
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:34 am

Your mail.

I use a place that picks up my mail and forwards it to me wherever I am, for a fee. I just call them up and tell them the address.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 am

You can save a fair bit by flying to Australia before mid December. 14th is round about when peak prices kick in. Summer is music festival season down under as you know.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:47 am

October is favourite time for Madrid and points south.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks, Glimpet.

Yeah, LS, I will keep that in mind. Right now I have a mailbox at a storage unit place. Those guys have been great, and I know they'll forward as needed.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 pm

How crowded the national parks will be.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Not so bad after Labor Day.

I was in Yellowstone the week of Labor Day last year. Tough to get rooms or camping inside the park, but by no means impossible, and the rest of the park was fine. No real traffic backups, spaces in the parking areas etc.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:40 am

For Australia you'd need to budget for accommodation prices at that time of year. If you wanted to be in Sydney for the New Year's Eve fireworks, consider booking asap as it tends to be sold out quite a bit before then. 'Roads will be busy, accommodation prices skyrocket due to school holidays.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Andy, I don't mean partay! for NYE. I just mean I may be there over that time, probably chilling at my friend's house near Ballina.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:33 am

https://youtu.be/bPOmNXW2Mzc

It's out of Ballina we'll sail ...

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks, GL'pet.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:44 pm

It really comes down to money, right? How much you need to do the traveling, how much you need to maintain your house, how much money during the interim if there's a break in employment, how much you need to keep from interrupting retirement plans, etc. Aside from that, a small sum to compensate a good friend or family member to tie up loose ends back home every now and then.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm thinking of taking 6 months off, not to be traveling that whole time. Like other oldies here, I don't want to travel through the rivers of shit etc.

No house--sold it in April. On a lease that ends in mid-November. I can probably end that earlier. I would like to be free in time to take advantage of beautiful Fall weather.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 am

Why would you need to receive physical mail?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:12 am

muthafunky wrote:Why would you need to receive physical mail?

Because you never know. Analog lives!
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 pm

mutha, I don't, for the most part. But there is always something.

I went to my mailbox for the first time in 4 weeks and there was a speed camera ticket that was due to double the next day.

just one example

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:I'm thinking of taking 6 months off, not to be traveling that whole time. Like other oldies here, I don't want to travel through the rivers of shit etc.

Don't say that or it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...you can travel for an extended time in relative comfort if you just budget for it.

If you are as you say "an Oldie" then this could be your last chance to do something like this,i don't mean that you'll soon be at deaths door but soon you may lack the motivation to do something like this and then its all down hill from there into a life of sat on the sofa watching "Your favourite programmes" on the TV.

I see this so much these days with relatives that pretty much used to live to travel,now they just don't want to do it...can't be arsed as its too much hassle,fuck that noise,if you have the chance to go off for 6 months then you should absolutely go for it,it doesn't have to be rivers of shit.

Get a map and think of a region that you've always wanted to visit,do some research (Its a great part of travelling,i've spent an age on the internet sussing out places to go)...and just fucking go for it,challenge yourself,you aint dead yet.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:38 pm

What's holding me back right now is fear of the reaction when I give notice. Two weeks ago, my supervisor was all "gosh it's going to be so slow." And now she's singing the opposite tune and assigning me projects due to go live soon. Like she senses something. Ugh.

(Remember, too, that unlike in the UK, we give a recommended 2-4 weeks notice--so it would all happen really quickly as soon as I say the word.)

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:What's holding me back right now is fear of the reaction when I give notice. Two weeks ago, my supervisor was all "gosh it's going to be so slow." And now she's singing the opposite tune and assigning me projects due to go live soon. Like she senses something. Ugh.

(Remember, too, that unlike in the UK, we give a recommended 2-4 weeks notice--so it would all happen really quickly as soon as I say the word.)

All the more reason to crack on with your research...sometimes the beauty of a 6 months+ trip is to just fly one way to a place and see where the mood takes you from there...

If you are not intending to re-apply for your old job when you return then i wouldn't give a flying fcuk about work.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:What's holding me back right now is fear of the reaction when I give notice. Two weeks ago, my supervisor was all "gosh it's going to be so slow." And now she's singing the opposite tune and assigning me projects due to go live soon. Like she senses something. Ugh.

What do they do in the UK?

2 to 4 weeks is also pretty standard in my industry, unless you're contractually bound to give more. I gave all my people 4 weeks official notice, 8 wells unofficial, when I shut the office, but their contacts only stipulated 2 from either party.

4 or more is good though if you don't want to burn any bridges.

Would you do any work in Australia?

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Giving notice is nice, but at every place I've worked the assumption is you aren't going to get much out of someone leaving so really even staying two weeks isn't necessary. The places I've worked have always been pretty good at making sure things will still go smoothly if any individual is lost too.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:07 pm

I could work in Australia, yes. Do you have anything? My mate and her baby will be in Ballina over the US winter months. I need to go back to sort out banking and stuff.

True, mutha. Our evaluation process is Right Now, which is annoying. If I give my boss a head's up this week, she may appreciate the opportunity to not take mine that seriously.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Glimpet, I have seen UK people say that 2+ months is standard.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Two months is insane.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:38 pm

You might give 2 months notice here in the UK for 2 reasons only...

1) You think you might get your job back when you return..

2) You feel guilty about leaving.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:24 pm

muthafunky wrote:Giving notice is nice, but at every place I've worked the assumption is you aren't going to get much out of someone leaving so really even staying two weeks isn't necessary. The places I've worked have always been pretty good at making sure things will still go smoothly if any individual is lost too.

Everyone I've had has worked their notice diligently. I've already taken one of them back - such is the nature of the industry. It's for their own reputation as much as for me. That's all you've got to trade in the end.

The guy in Singapore who quit after 20 years was still doing stuff for me on the Sunday night before he started his new job Monday morning. He worked his one month's notice even though he'd been put on a "instant dismissal" contract (not my doing).

He'd already identified his replacement who I'm currently introducing around some far-flung but important clients. He did warn me he might poach him as his current role involves recruiting.

Chip_Oatley wrote:I could work in Australia, yes. Do you have anything?

Nope - sorry. Australia economy is pretty flat at the moment. I can't see that there'd be much around Ballina/Byron. I'd guess too many who moved there for lifestyle chasing too few jobs. And Sydney will still be too expensive unless you're really pulling in the $$$. Oil/gas has picked up slightly but there are thousands of highly-skilled and experienced people available still left over from the last boom.

Maybe there's a role at BrewDog
https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/co ... -australia

Newcastle, NSW, supposedly.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/48139 ... -in-sight/

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:34 pm

I was joking about Oz work, mostly.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Good,why would anyone want to work whilst travelling????

That shite is for Gap-year teenagers,ive never worked whilst on the road and i hope i'll never have to,travelling is all about kicking back and soaking in the country....not slaving away,thatshit is for home.

So, where would you like to go Chip?...where is rocking your boat/peeking your interest?

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Lincoln, I have a dream to explore more of these United States. Part of that I hope will involve the meeting cousins bit from my DNA explorations. I have been in contact with several 2-3rd cousins who seem very cool. I would like to buy a Casita travel trailer and have that be my home for a time.

Aside from that, I would like to visit Portugal and the parts of Spain I've missed. I may visit the UK and Ireland again--TBD.

For starters.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Sounds like a plan...go for it.

BUT....here's the thing...do the USA travel when you are old,travel now to further away places.

This is my wisdom dispensed to you (Free of charge).

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Nah, it's not about that.

And there is a ton of hiking that is involved with seeing the US, and that's not something my knees will like when old.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:38 pm

I wish I'd done the Pacific Crest and / or Appalachian trails when I was younger. Probably never going to happen now.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 pm

You could do parts of the AT, mutha.

If I did it, I'd stick to the southern or far northern bits. Pennsylvania is supposedly really difficult.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:29 pm

by muthafunky » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:38 pm

I wish I'd done the Pacific Crest and / or Appalachian trails when I was younger. Probably never going to happen now.
''

There are sections of the AT well worth doing, but they are in-between long green tunnels. You cant's beat the New Hampshire section.

I would love to do the PCT
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:36 am

I have moved city and/or country a few times in the past 10-15 years, and the last time involved a three month travel stint between Place A and Place B. So from my perspective, some things to consider.....

House - you're selling, right? So where will you store all your stuff, can the mail be redirected to a family member to take care of? How about the car - are ownership documents safe and secure with backups scanned in an easy online location?
Money - do you have all online bank accounts access available, a backup plan if you lose your purse but the bank can't deliver replacement cards to you? How will you prove that "you" are you?
Job - every job is different, so I won't comment on notice period and what to do - I have opinions but it's out of scope of this thread.
Health - do you wear glasses/lenses - if so, do you know your prescription for replacements? Ditto for medication. Do you have proof of vaccinations (depending on where you're going)?
Documents - got photocopies or scanned online passport, driving licence, birth certificate, etc?

Preparing for back to reality: do you have another job lined up when you return? Will you return (to the same location)? Do you have somewhere lined up to live? Key questions for now so that this doesn't bog down your time away.

I can think of more, unless this is too dull.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote: I don't want to travel through the rivers of shit etc.

Ah, so you're a tourist.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:Glimpet, I have seen UK people say that 2+ months is standard.

Only for the teachers here. We have to give more notice than anyone I know. But then it's a different sort of job. We only start at the beginning and leave at the end of terms, and it's not fair on the pupils (especially those doing exams) for their teacher to suddenly disappear without a suitable appointment made to step in.

I rarely hear of notice periods of more than four weeks.
Pass the wine...

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:House - you're selling, right? So where will you store all your stuff, can the mail be redirected to a family member to take care of? How about the car - are ownership documents safe and secure with backups scanned in an easy online location?
Money - do you have all online bank accounts access available, a backup plan if you lose your purse but the bank can't deliver replacement cards to you? How will you prove that "you" are you?
Job - every job is different, so I won't comment on notice period and what to do - I have opinions but it's out of scope of this thread.
Health - do you wear glasses/lenses - if so, do you know your prescription for replacements? Ditto for medication. Do you have proof of vaccinations (depending on where you're going)?
Documents - got photocopies or scanned online passport, driving licence, birth certificate, etc?

Preparing for back to reality: do you have another job lined up when you return? Will you return (to the same location)?

I sold the house in April. I am renting an expensive apartment. Lease ends mid-November, which is a bummer--I told mgmt that I needed to go end of September, and he said I'd be hit with a penalty of one month's rent. More details there I won't get into here.

Car--not worried. I intend to sell it. If road trip is in the cards, I'll buy a new to me vehicle; where I get that registered and all could be complicated though; as you may know, costs and logistics for that stuff vary a LOT by state.

Unfortunately, though, just this morning, I went out to the car, and someone has hit the front bumper. I just spent $400 getting it fully detailed for sale.

I have a storage unit. That's also where my mailbox is.

The idea is to be flexible in terms of where to live next--so I don't want to have anything lined up.

Just ordered a whole lot of contacts. Scripts are new but I seem to have misplaced them.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:You could do parts of the AT, mutha.

If I did it, I'd stick to the southern or far northern bits. Pennsylvania is supposedly really difficult.

Maine is supposed to be tough too, especially since the rerouted it a couple of years ago. Walking through ponds instead of around them etc.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:46 pm

I have never noticed anyone slacking off after giving notice here. At my last job, people's work tended to taper off because they couldn't be given long-term projects, but that wasn't their fault.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Glimpet, I have seen UK people say that 2+ months is standard.

It is in many corporate type jobs. In my last 2 permanent jobs it was 3 months. Now I'm a contractor it's a week.
Wibble.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:35 pm

This will happen.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:Lincoln, I have a dream to explore more of these United States. Part of that I hope will involve the meeting cousins bit from my DNA explorations. I have been in contact with several 2-3rd cousins who seem very cool. I would like to buy a Casita travel trailer and have that be my home for a time.

Aside from that, I would like to visit Portugal and the parts of Spain I've missed. I may visit the UK and Ireland again--TBD.

For starters.

The front frames on older Casitas stored or used near salt water sometimes rust out from the inside. You could pick up a decent used motorhome for under $20,000, budget a couple of grand for repairs then sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it after you finish your trip. It would be a lot more comfortable and you wouldn't have to deal with setting up and tearing down as much as you will with a travel trailer. Especially nice when it is raining or snowing.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:03 pm

I much prefer towing and using a trailer camper to using an RV.

I would probably focus my six months on the US. There's a million places to see and you can follow the weather. I'd plan to do some of the side trips to foreign lands post-road trip.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 am

Make a stop with your estrogenated trailer in Tucson and I ll give you the Cactus Tour.

It's worth a couple of days.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 am

rider5 wrote:Make a stop with your estrogenated trailer in Tucson and I ll give you the Cactus Tour.

How could I say no?

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:40 am

That's the spirit.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 pm

An Airstream would be nice...pricey of course. Here's a recent Tom Hanks tweet.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 pm

What's going on there? Cones down the centerline and two trailers parked behind him in Bumfuck, Nevada?

Must be a movie set. I can't believe he'd be slumming it with the peeps.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!